From the Veggie Burgers Every Which Way cookbook by L. Volger

Edamame burgers with brown rice and apples

2 tbsp raw hulled sunflower seeds

1 tbsp sesame seeds

1 cup shelled cooked edamame

2 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed

3 tbsp water

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

1 apple quartered (or finely chopped if not using a food processor)

2 tbsp rice flour

1 tbsp molasses

2 tsp tamari or soy sauce

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

salt and pepper to taste

The recipe called for all sorts of toasting of seeds etc but I went for a quicke rmethod and put everything in the food processor and pulsed until mixed. I had to add a bit more water, a few tbsps.

The mixture should be a rough grainy texture, not smooth.

It is supposed to make 6 patties but I got 7.

Add a bit of oil to a frying pan and cook a few at a time, about 3 minutes per side, they will get a nice brown crisped surface.

I liked these - a bit delicate, but very tasty.

You had me at gluten free and vegan but lost me with the seeds. I'm allergic to sesame seeds/oil and Jeff's allergic to sunflower seeds. *sigh*

I absolutely *loved* the vegan "croquettes" from Alicia Silverstone's book. I should type it out here one of these days. It's ground raw chickpeas (soaked) and herbs/spices fried in olive oil. It might not sound that good but it tasted awesome!

Kimberley

Guest chellybats

Oh Kimberly! I was thinking of getting that book, please forward any noteworthy recipes our way!

I have issues with a lot of wheat in my diet - so anything without too much refined gluten is a friend of mine. :)

Guest sodacracker

Kimberly,

Yikes, recipe hunting must be a pain for you guys!

With only three tbsp of seeds it probably would not make much difference if left out or substituted for something else you like, walnuts maybe? Cashews would also be good. I do not have sesame oil so did not use that. :salut

I'm still trying to figure out if we had a problem with flax seeds. I think they're okay. I could just add more of that instead of the sunflowers/sesame seeds. I can't do walnuts and a few others because of nut allergies in the family too. We're a mess!! LOL

Kimberley

Guest sodacracker

probably any nut or seed is a nice crunch in this. The flax is there as an egg substitute to use as a binder, and if you can't use that I would add chickpea or rice flour : )