Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Weigh In Clothes

This is interesting at my meetings.

One person used to change in the restroom to gym shorts and a T-shirt, do the weigh-in, and then change back to his clothes. I asked him about it once and he said that he made lifetime in those shorts and shirt and decided that he was always going to weigh-in, from there forward, wearing the same clothes.

I see some others try and wear shorts way pass the season, I guess because they think that makes them lighter?

I'm usually attending meetings after work. So, I'm dressed in business casual attire. When I first joined WW in 2006, I used to change, at work, to shorts and a Tee before going. Why? I'm not sure why I did that? Maybe I thought it made me lighter? I know that I stopped doing that sometime in 2007 - after I made lifetime.

These days, since I'm out of work, I wear jeans and a shirt to meetings. And, at least half of the time, the receptionist - and not always the same one - says to me "Oooooh. You're weighing-in in jeans" as if that's the same as wearing cement shoes or something.

Is weighing-in, in my Levi 505's, that big of a crime?

When I first joined in 1991 it was at an At Work meeting during the winter. So I started out wearing pants and a heavy sweater. I really never thought about being "lighter" or "heavier", just figure the scale would show if I was going down, or up, as long as I wore something of about the same weight.

When I came back in 2001 I attended Saturday morning meetings. I did have a "weigh in uniform" then of lighweight pants and a t-shirt. When it got to summer I'd wear shorts instead. I'm sure I was doing it because the clothes were "lighter".

Now that I'm at goal I sometimes vary the times and day of the week, that I weigh in, and I don't really pay much attention to what I'm wearing. I did kind of feel like it was a badge of honor that I could wear jeans to a weigh in. :bcb_up Weigh those suckers sometime. They really do add about 2 pounds to your weight. :bcb_bigsm

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Lol, oh ya Super Bowl, BIG crime weighing in in Levi's.:bcb_grin

I have "weigh in" clothes. Nylon wind pants or shorts and a light weight t-shirt. Why??? Because they are about the lightest thing I have to wear to WI. I don't like to see even one more 1/10 of a pound that I don't need to see. I thought it was a girl thing.

I get it, if I always wi in jeans each week, the wi should be fine. But my thinking is if I have a 1 pound loss, but went from my windpants to my khaki's, I won't see that loss, and I will be discouraged. I know, it sounds crazy, but it works for me. Why have a WI of 129 when I could wi at 128. Just one pound, but mentally it can be huge for me.

I do chuckle sometimes at what I see some folks wear for wi, and I know it's because the clothes are light. I have also seen some, on occasion, people wi in jeans, and of course I think that's nuts.:bcb_LOL:

A gal once said she saw a women that changed into a black trash bag to wi. To me, that's extreme.:bcb_huh:

I am also one that for that longest time, I wouldn't eat before wi, and my wi was at 5:30 pm. Now, I will eat light and cut off food and water by noon. I know that's crazy, but I am happy with the scale that way. I don't go to meetings very often, but when I went in December, I wore my wind pants, my light t shirt, and ate of drank nothing because the meeting was at 10am.

Ok, one more thing. One time when I rejoined WW, I stood on the scale backwards so I couldn't see the number. I gave the weigher strict instructions to not say anything and just write the number down. Well, the gals in the line asked if I weighed less standing backwards on the scale. TOO FUNNY. I did tell them why I did it.

You are probably sorry you asked, huh Super. I KNOW that I am the only one here the has WI clothes.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I am also one that for that longest time, I wouldn't eat before wi, and my wi was at 5:30 pm. Now, I will eat light and cut off food and water by noon. I know that's crazy, but I am happy with the scale that way.

LOL Trudie. Don't think that's crazy. I try not to drink anything during the two to three hours before my wi because I feel like the liquid in my system will show up on the scale.

Trudie, I'm the same way WI is 5:30 and my last meal is at noon (water too) I'll eat like 7 almonds bf I go so I'm not faminshed after the meeting. I wear yoga pants and the lightest shirt possible.

A gal once said she saw a women that changed into a black trash bag to wi. To me, that's extreme.:bcb_huh:

LOL. I'm still waiting for the day that someone weighs-in nude, like the boxers do, with someone holding up a towel to cover their privates.

Weigh those suckers sometime. They really do add about 2 pounds to your weight. :bcb_bigsm

LOL. Well, if they do, then I'll be down two once I land a job or the summer comes...and hopefully I won't have both those things happening at the same time!

Jeans ARE pretty heavy, you know:) The first thing I did after buying my food scale was to weigh a bunch of my clothes to find out which outfit was the lightest--I'm sure my students wondered about my "Wednesday outfit" since I wore the same thing every Wednesday, week after week. I also made sure I went to the ladies room before the WI because you know how heavy water is! I can certainly understand the concept of being discouraged if you don't see the pound you're sure you lost. At one meeting, the girl weighing in beside be was devastated because she was up 0.2 lbs. The receptionist said, "Try taking off you vest." She did, and was down 0.2 lbs. She did a little dance!

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

LOL. I'm still waiting for the day that someone weighs-in nude, like the boxers do, with someone holding up a towel to cover their privates.

My leader said that years ago when they used to have private booths they did have people strip down. :bcb_grin The "best" I ever saw was when I was working with a male leader. This woman came in late, in fact the meeting was over and wanted to weigh in. I said sure, and she proceeded to take off everything until she had nothing but a flesh colored body suit on. She was totally unconcerned.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Jeans ARE pretty heavy, you know:) The first thing I did after buying my food scale was to weigh a bunch of my clothes to find out which outfit was the lightest--I'm sure my students wondered about my "Wednesday outfit" since I wore the same thing every Wednesday, week after week. I also made sure I went to the ladies room before the WI because you know how heavy water is! I can certainly understand the concept of being discouraged if you don't see the pound you're sure you lost. At one meeting, the girl weighing in beside be was devastated because she was up 0.2 lbs. The receptionist said, "Try taking off you vest." She did, and was down 0.2 lbs. She did a little dance!

That's why the scale is so tricky. I swear that I can gain a pound taking a shower. Really. I've done this - and, yes, I'm crazy. I've weighed myself just before going into the shower. And, then, when I'm done, I've dried myself off and jumped on the scale again and it's up a pound. (And, it's not wet hair - because I shave my head.) So, in 20 minutes, I can gain a pound, in the shower. Maybe it's water in my pores or something? But, it's true. So, if I can gain a pound by taking a shower, I have no doubt that I can "gain" weight by having a stomach full of liquids.

That is making the black trash bag not sound so extreme now.:bcb_LOL:

The first thing I did after buying my food scale was to weigh a bunch of my clothes to find out which outfit was the lightest.

Linda, that sounds perfectly normal to me. It's good to know that I am NOT the only one that has actually weighed some of their clothes.

Trudie

My leader said that years ago when they used to have private booths they did have people strip down. :bcb_grin The "best" I ever saw was when I was working with a male leader. This woman came in late, in fact the meeting was over and wanted to weigh in. I said sure, and she proceeded to take off everything until she had nothing but a flesh colored body suit on. She was totally unconcerned.

It's not often, but, I've seen some women at meetings start to peel off some clothes at the weigh-in where it's left me wondering "I hope she's going to stop before she hits skin."

I weigh in on Saturday morning and I mostly try to be consistant in my clothes. Right now I am weighing in in jeans and lightweight shirt. I figure if I wear jeans every week any loss is really me. During summertime tho I am in shorts or sundress, something lightweight.

The hardest part is weigh in is not until 8:30 and I have to be moderate with my coffee. 2 cups and nothing after 7:15. And then of course breakfast is after also. And a sf vanilla latte!

Sandy

Joined WW 02/02/02

Lifetime 04/05/03

sw 165.4 cw 165.4 gw ??

Little by little, one travels far.....J.R.R. Tolkien

my leader said that years ago when they used to have private booths they did have people strip down. :bcb_grin the "best" i ever saw was when i was working with a male leader. This woman came in late, in fact the meeting was over and wanted to weigh in. I said sure, and she proceeded to take off everything until she had nothing but a flesh colored body suit on. She was totally unconcerned.

OH.MY.GOODNESS.rotfl2.gif

Luanne, I was thinking you probably have some good WI stories with working for WW.

Trudie

I try not to drink anything during the two to three hours before my wi because I feel like the liquid in my system will show up on the scale.

Haha. This thread makes me feel better about my WI habits. I do it at home, so every week I wake up and go to the bathroom and then weigh myself while I'm still in my pajamas. I figure it's probably the lightest outfit I own. :)

~quix

http://musingsofanovereater.blogspot.com/

SW: 294 (12/21/10)

CW: 261 (6/6/11)

GW: 190

weight.png

Haha. This thread makes me feel better about my WI habits. I do it at home, so every week I wake up and go to the bathroom and then weigh myself while I'm still in my pajamas. I figure it's probably the lightest outfit I own. :)

haha... when I weigh myself at home (to see what's going on) I weigh naked... but no worries, at meetings, it's strictly yoga pants and a t-shirt.

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

I try to be consistent every week with the same clothes and food - I try not to eat or drink anything after 2pm on WI day. If you weigh in one week wearing shorts, then during the week you lose 2lbs but on WI you wear jeans you will not see a loss! That is discouraging! So if you start wearing jeans, stay wearing jeans...start wearing shorts, stay wearing shorts so your wi's are consistent.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

:salutSW 232 CW 225 (-7) GW 130:salut

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Started Again 1/2011:kickbutt:This Time For Keeps

my blog:

http://wizzyswandrings.wordpress.com

It's all about superstition - like always making sure you weigh on the scale on the left because it weighs "lighter" than the scale on the right. If it gives you a feeling of a little more control, it can be a good thing. It's not the craziest reason for poeple saying why the didn't lose weight. My favorite is, "I gained 5 pounds this week, because I started at Curves as muscle weighs more than fat..." As if.

I'm sure some of it is about superstition for some people - such as wearing the same outfit because it brings you luck or something...but in my case it has nothing to do with superstition and everything to do with just having consistency.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

:salutSW 232 CW 225 (-7) GW 130:salut

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Started Again 1/2011:kickbutt:This Time For Keeps

my blog:

http://wizzyswandrings.wordpress.com

Superbowl - I have weighed my Levi's and they weighed 2 pounds! So, I now weigh in, in my light weight work out pants that don't add anything. 2 pounds is 2 pounds! Now I have seen women in my meetings take off all of their jewelry, that I can't imagine weighs anything, but if works for them, so be it. I also saw a lady in front of me last week that weighed in with her Crock shoes on! I really wanted to tell her to take them off, because nobody weighs in with shoes on! Then I thought maybe that I was the only anal person about weigh ins........until I read this post. :bcb_LOL:

I try to be consistent every week with the same clothes and food - I try not to eat or drink anything after 2pm on WI day. If you weigh in one week wearing shorts' date=' then during the week you lose 2lbs but on WI you wear jeans you will not see a loss! That is discouraging! So if you start wearing jeans, stay wearing jeans...start wearing shorts, stay wearing shorts so your wi's are consistent.[/quote']

Agreed!

It's all about superstition - like always making sure you weigh on the scale on the left because it weighs "lighter" than the scale on the right. If it gives you a feeling of a little more control, it can be a good thing. It's not the craziest reason for poeple saying why the didn't lose weight. My favorite is, "I gained 5 pounds this week, because I started at Curves as muscle weighs more than fat..." As if.

I have to agree with the "I gained because of muscle." Especially if you have a lot of weight to lose, there is no way.

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

Weight is relative. I try to weigh myself in the evening and morning wearing about the same thing so that I'm comparing apples to apples. At the doctor's office they laugh at me as I strip down layers of clothing. I will probably take off my jeans tonight only because I'm wearing leggings underneath it so it's almost like wearing two pairs of pants. Regardless, what will be important is what the difference is next time, and the time after that, etc. The number itself is less important. It's hard to get that through our heads, but it really is true.

They did used to have private booths and almost total strip downs - in the 60s, when I was a little girl and I went with my mother to her meetings, that's how they did it. I liked it when she smiled after weigh-in. I was sad when she was sad. :(

Muscle does weigh more than fat, and is worth every number on the scale because the more muscle, the more energy/calories one burns off when active. My holiday slippage really wasn't because I was gorging, but more so because I got sloppy about doing my bike every day in addition to eating more than I customarily did. But even with eating more than I was used to, I was still within point range, I was just at the top, rather than the bottom/middle.

Another reason I encourage everybody to not under eat - you're sending your body a wrong message, and hurting your long term chances of success.

-------------------------------------------------

To love another person is to see the face of G/d

-------------------------------------------------

Gay/Lesbian Issues

http://rslevinson.com/gaylesissues

Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat - that is like saying apples weigh more than oranges. And one week of exercise does not put on pounds of weight, even though people like to think it does. Body builders work for months to put on a pound of muscle.

To me, wearing the same clothes is about the true wi of the body. No excues if you have on the same things you wore last week. Then, if you are not losing you can talk to the leader for help in reviewing the tracker, and if are losing, you know it is a true weight loss, not the difference in garment weight.

Esther

Just do what you know to do!

Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat.

This is like the old joke: What weighs more, a pound of steel or a pound of feathers? (Of course, a pound of anything is the same as a pound of anything.)

When it comes to muscle and fat, it's about size or density.

Muscle is about 18% denser than fat. So, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat - much like a pound of steel would take up less space than a pound of feathers.

So, you can weigh 200 pounds. And, if most of that is fat, you're going to take up more space, or be bigger, than the 200 pound person who has very little fat and a lot more muscle.