Health Discovery Network
youngfrankenstein

Starting C25K today.

I had heard of this program and had no idea it was my exact goal. I want to get to running 3 miles. I hope I can keep up with the program. I have exercised on and off for years (mostly off :bcb_blush) so today's first workout felt good.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Amy - good luck. I'm starting week 3 this week. And, I've seen the improvement already. Granted, the first two weeks were shorter runs than the one in week three.

I also just recently started C25K. I really like it! I'm on week two, day two. I'm using Robert Ullrey's podcast (Podcasts for Running on iTunes). It tells me when to walk and when to run. Are either of you listening to podcasts while doing the program? Also, I've found my weight is going wild recently. My body is getting waaay less flabby and much more toned even though the scale doesn't seem to want to budge (I'm staying OP)

Anyway, I committed to doing a 5K in August. This will keep me on target! (i hope lol!)

Ya Ya Name: Empress Weeping River

weight.png

I don't have itunes but I do have an mp3 player. I don't know if I can get podcasts. I use a treadmill so at this point I'm just doing the intervals in my head. Pretty easy for this first week. I haven't looked ahead at the rest of the program much. I did read some notes that say it's okay to repeat a week if you truly feel you can't move on. Frankly, I didn't know what kind of time-frame was reasonable so this at least gives me a general goal. If it takes me a few weeks longer, I'm okay with that.

Amy-SAHM of 4

Amy - I downloaded the podcasts to my MP3 player, and it helped a lot. I don't think I could have done it as well without the podcasts.

Well where are they? If I can get them to Windows Media Player, I can get them on my MP3 player. I am doing day 2 today. It's so easy mentally to be knowing the 20 minutes will be helping me get to the goal. I have 4 kids and it's tough to find time.

Amy-SAHM of 4

Hi Amy. I'm a big C25K advocate. I used Robert Ullery and I have an MP3 player by Microsoft, not an iPod. It's called a Zune. My kids put the podcasts on it for me. I can get specific instructions for you tonight if you need it, but I know they used this site http://www.runsource.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=347.

I started with the Nicole Blum site, but the music was not to my liking. Grannykarla suggested the Robert Ullery ones and the kids switched me over.

I repeated weeks 6, 8 and 9. When people ask me about it, I tell them it's a nine-week program for some people. For me it was a 12-week program.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Here's a site also:

http://www.c25k.com/

Scroll down to the Couch to 5k Podcasts section and Robert's is the first one listed.

I just finished week two this morning. I'll load up week 3 tonight to be ready to go Saturday morning.

Oh and I use a Creative Labs mp3 player. I don't have a iPod either.

weight.png

Thanks, guys. Good to know about not needing itunes. Day 2 was hard only because my lower legs were feeling it. Nothing insurmountable at all. Tomorrow is day 3. So far I've had no trouble keeping up. Anyone doing this on a treadmill? I am very overweight so I make the walking at about 3.3 mph and the running at 4 mph. I don't know if this is intense enough but it seems to be a good fit for me right now.

Amy-SAHM of 4

Amy - I talked to the teenage techno geek at my house and he said you just need to open the podcast in MP3 format. He said the link to open in iTunes is there because iPods are so popular, and it saves iPod users a step. If you open it in MP3 format, then you can use it in Windows Media Player. That BTW is what he used to get them on my Zune. I'm going to have to learn all this stuff before they move out.

It sounds to me like the pace you are using is probably a good one. You said you could feel it in your legs, but you were able to continue. I think that's the perfect balance. If you make it so "intense" that you are unable to continue, you haven't done yourself any good. If it feels right for you, go with it. You will know when it's time to bump it up a notch. I'm so excited for you. I'm impressed that you are doing this with four little ones.

Heather

Thanks a lot! That will help. I've had a bit of a setback because I had a tooth pulled. I am resting this week and I plan to just re-start the program next week. I'm trying not to get down about it, I just need to heal up a bit. See you next week!

Amy-SAHM of 4

I'm only on W3D2. What's the interval on W4? I know you can do it though, Super Bowl. You've done everything so well that you've put your mind to - this is going to be the same!

weight.png

SuperBowl - Congratulations for sticking with the program so consistently. I remember feeling that way everytime I looked at the upcoming week. You might be surprised at how well you are able to handle it, especially if you got in all three days in week three and spread them out. If you are struggling to the point of feeling like it's just not do-able - I'd suggest repeating week three and then trying again. But before you go there, I'd get your mantra in place and go for it.

Heather

SuperBowl - I missed your post by a minute. Nevermind my post. Instead of that - CONGRATULATIONS on getting it done. Good for you.

Heather

C25K is exactly were I started. And, I am not a runner. I just want to say, believe in yourself, honestly, if I can do this, YOU can! But be careful, I am running my 2nd half marathon next month. Just sayin'........:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Is everyone still running? I did W4D2 today. I'm using Robert Ullrey's podcasts. I can't wait until this week is over. I hate that last 5 minute song lol.

SuperBowl, how goes week 5? I know you are a couple days ahead of me.

weight.png

I listened to his podcasts and found them boring. I think I'd be more apt to use them if I were running outside. I can listen to any kind of music and run on the treadmill at certain settings with no problems.

Amy-SAHM of 4

Rachel - Day one of Week 5 was much better than I expected. I was really surprised that I was able to do the three 5 minute runs. And, in fact, I enjoyed it! The real trick will me day three of this week - the 20 minute run.

How's everyone doing? Justfinished Week Six today.

I timed myself today and I'm running at a pace of a 8 minute 20 second mile. Is that too slow, or, too fast? Why wife asked me today if I was running too fast. I don't know? When I'm running it, it seems slow - more like a jog/shuffle than running. Then again, at that pace, it would be a 3 1/2 hour marathon....LOL...like I could actually run that long!

Hey SuperBowl - Congratulations on keeping up with the program. I don't know if there is such a thing as too slow or too fast really. The way I understand the program, you will be able (ideally) to run 5K in 30 minutes when you finish. So you have to be running a little better than a 10 minute mile to do that. Sounds like you are ahead of that. If you are keeping up, I don't know why it would be too fast. When I was having trouble completing the 5K without walking, DS told me to time how fast each mile was. My first mile was a much faster mile than my second. And my third was even slower than my second. He suggested I slow down my first mile and it would help me with the longevity issue I was having. It helped me. If you are keeping up and feeling strong after each run, I wouldn't worry about it. If you run into trouble with the program or keeping up with the increases at some point, then you could try to adjust it. Keep it up.

Heather

Thanks Heather. I already figured out on my own to slow it down, and not burn out, at the start. And, it does help - for sure. In the end, I hope to be able to run the 5K in about 26 minutes. That would be awesome. Time will tell - and, again, thanks a million for suggesting the program to me!