Health Discovery Network
youngfrankenstein

Starting C25K today.

I'm still doing the program. I have finished W6D1 and am really looking forward to W6D2 :)

Ya Ya Name: Empress Weeping River

weight.png

How is everyone doing? I just finished week 7 yesterday - two more to go!

It's been interesting. A struggle at times. Not always perfect. But, I am amazed at how far I've come in just 7 weeks. And, proud of myself for sticking with it during one of the worst winters here in a very long time. (Yes, I'm an outside runner.)

I still feel like weeks 8 and 9 are going to be a big test. But, I'm going at it, head-first and take no prisoners! LOL.

I'm very inspired by reading your posts! I started C25K this week, so am only on Week 1. Our family has signed up for two 5Ks this spring, so I figure I'd better be able to participate!! So far I've done the first two days. The third day will be on Wednesday. Right now I'm feeling kind of daunted by the thing, as I DON'T see myself as a runner. But it sounds as though this is do-able if you stick at it....

Susan

Aiming for 196.2 :bcb_march

Susan - no question this is doable! Hang with it.

In the first couple of weeks, I was sucking wind and barely able to do those 90 second and 2 minute runs. (And, keep in mind, this was not because I was fat - just not aerobically fit.) And, now, I'm running for 2.5 miles in 20 minutes without stopping - in just seven weeks! It's amazing to me.

Yes, you have to push yourself. And, yes, there are times out there where it's not comfortable. But, the program works. Give it your best - and you will be surprised!

Susan - Good for you joining in with your family. Keep telling yourself it's doable. I'm going to tell you a secret that's going to help you . . . you are a runner. You just said you are doing a running program. How can you not be a runner? Maybe you didn't use to be a runner. You can use that as your mantra to help with the rough patches. "I am a runner. I am a runner. I am a runner." Keep it up.

SuperBowl - Look at you forging ahead without any hangups. I'm an outside runner too and I started in April. I whined about getting rained on some mornings. I'm not sure if I'd have made it if I started in the winter. Thanks for sharing your success here. If you keep up your pace, you'll be a competitive runner if you decide to do races.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Thanks Heather. Agreed on being outside. Weather or not, it beats being on the treadmill, for me. Not sure where I go from here. First goal is to run 4 miles in 30 minutes twice a week. If I do that for a while, that's great. For sure, I don't even see myself doing 26.2! (Maybe 13.1 someday - you never know!) As far as races, maybe one, someday, for fun - just to see.

Strangely, I had a hard run tonight also - the worst one yet. Just exhausted I guess. Anyway, I'm proud of you! Good work! I know what you mean about pushing through it because the idea of NOT is unacceptable. Good luck with your last five runs. woo!

weight.png

Rachel - thanks. It's just like any other exercise. Somedays/workouts are better than others because our bodies are always in different states of energy or recovery. The trick is to do something - because any exercise is better than no exercise.

Good luck with your future sessions as well! Keep up the good fight!

Hey SuperBowl, question. Have you sorted out your points yet? Has the lower amt been working for you? I ask because I am on program (29 pp per day) but not really dropping weight. And often gain then lose again. I finally decided it must be due to all the running causing water retention. Then rest days, releasing it, etc. Have you found your weight going up and down a lot since doing the C25K program? I'm hoping that once I get to running a consistent 30 minutes that the weight will start to drop again rather than stay at the same level.

weight.png

Rachel - I'm still sticking with 32 on my DPA. (That's lower than WW suggested - they had me at 40 when P+ started.) And, my weight has pretty much stayed the same. But, I should stress that I'm not doing C25K to lose weight - I'm happy with my current weight. The C25K for me is all about fitness - I'm trying to improve my aerobic fitness and endurance. In fact, I'm pretty strict with eating my AP for C25K as soon as I earn them - within the first hour after I run. (I've found it I don't, I don't feel as well as I do when I refuel after the run.) Sometimes it's some PB on a spoon and a piece of fruit. Other times it might be a bowel of oatmeal. But, I pretty much wipe out my C25K AP as soon as I earn them, so, there's no way it's going to make me lose weight.

If I had to guess, I would say that I'm maybe one pound heavier around 12 hours after I run. Maybe that's swelling, muscle repair, etc. But, on the whole, it's not a huge +/1- swing with C25K.

Hi Rachel - I am on week 4 of the c25k and yes, I have had the same experience with my weight being up the day after a run. It is about a 1-2 lb fluctuation and I expect it now. I typically do not run the day before my official weigh in day. Probably a silly habit but that scale can be a mind game....

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

OK, update time! How is everyone doing.

Today is supposed to be Week 8, Day 3 for me - if it ever stops raining here. Day 2 went well. And, I really want to get back out there and do it again!

It's been interesting. A struggle at times. Not always perfect. But, I am amazed at how far I've come in just 7 weeks. And, proud of myself for sticking with it during one of the worst winters here in a very long time. (Yes, I'm an outside runner.)

I still feel like weeks 8 and 9 are going to be a big test. But, I'm going at it, head-first and take no prisoners! LOL.

Good job Super Bowl. It's time to sign up for a 5K!:bcb_smile

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I am starting Week 5 today. Will let you know how it goes.

Update - just finished it and it went well. Will do day 2 on Friday.

weight.png

I finished week 2 yesterday! Going to have a walking day today, and then I plan to give week 3 a try starting on Friday. Yikes. Feeling pretty good! I'm amazed at how hard week 2 seemed on the first day, and how totally do-able it seemed on the last day.

Susan

Susan - thats what I love about the program - it keeps you motivated becuase every time you are running just a little further.

In case anyone is interested and I am sorry if this has been posted before there is a great website that has podcasts of the c25k. There are many out there -this one has great music and I am using it. Sorry for the foul language of the site name - it is www.kissmyblackass.org. The owner has the 5k podcasts by week and I just checked she has an 8k one also. I like it becuase she plays great music and then tells you when to run and when to walk so you are not looking at your watch constantly.

weight.png

I finished week 2 yesterday! Going to have a walking day today, and then I plan to give week 3 a try starting on Friday. Yikes. Feeling pretty good! I'm amazed at how hard week 2 seemed on the first day, and how totally do-able it seemed on the last day.

Susan - that was me on Week 8! Click here.

It's amazing how that third day is so different than the first in some weeks.

Quinny - yes, I love that about it too! The increments are so small that it doesn't seem overwhelming.

Super Bowl - loved your description of the joy and euphoria you felt while running. I think I am starting to understand that just a little.

Susan

Know what I have come to love? The end. Just when you've finished, you're at your limit, and then you break it down to a walk before you stop. That split second where it hits you like a rush. It feels good!

I was on vacation this week but I will be running W8D2 tomorrow. Almost there!

Good to see so many of us on this program! I really like it!

weight.png

Just finished day 2 week 5. Struggled a bit with the second eight minute run but kept at it so I could post on here that I did it. I appreciate the accountability! I'm a little concerned about day 3 of week 5 it is a big jump to go from running 8 minutes to 20. Will let you know how it goes.

weight.png