Health Discovery Network
youngfrankenstein

Starting C25K today.

Just finished Day 1 of Week 3. I did not know I had it in me to run for three minutes straight. Had a look ahead at week five and nearly fell over to see how much I am apparently going to be able to run at one time.

Susan

Aiming for 196.2 :bcb_march

It seems like a lot but you will be surprised at how it builds up. It helps when you are running to know you can post back here when you are done and let us know what you have accomplished!

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

One thing I have noticed, now that I'm doing runs of 2.75 and longer, is that it's not as easy to run - at least me for me - with only one day of recovery. Earlier in C25k, I could run on a Monday and then run again on Wednesday. But, now, when I run, the DOMS hits about 24 hours after the run and doesn't go away until (around) 48 hours after I ran.

Superbowl - what does DOMS mean?

I was planning my run for today but worked out for an hour yeaterday on the eliptical and then did circut training. My muscles were too tired today to run and my weight was up 2lbs but I know it is not real weight gain. I will get it in tomorrow.

weight.png

Q,

DOMS is "Delayed onset muscle soreness" and it is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise. The soreness is felt most strongly 24 to 72 hours after the exercise. It is a symptom of muscle damage caused by eccentric exercise.

I wanted to jump in and congratulate you all for your successes. It's nice to see others enjoying the program.

I had and still have DOMS, but it's important to note that as you continue running, you are able to handle longer and longer distances without the issue. When I did C25K, I had it all the time. Now I only feel it when I do my long runs (5-6 miles) once a week. It's a process, but you will get there as your muscles become accustomed to the longer distances.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Thanks for the info. I attempted day 3 of week 5 this morning and was unable to transition to a 20 minute run. I did 11 minutes, walked 2 and then did some jogging and walking intervals. I am disappointed but not discouraged. I guess I will hang out in week 5 for another week or two. I am in no rush, I know it will come.

Superbowl - hope the muscles loosen up for you (ps. - today is the day of my last diet coke...)

Heather - thanks for the words of encouragement.

weight.png

Quinny - good coke on the diet coke! It's a bit painful at first. But, after a while, you'll no longer want one.

Heather - thanks for the congrats - but, more importantly, thanks for recommending the program to me! I will always remember you for that!

So I've looked into C25K before and actually started doing some personal prep work for it but it ended in disaster for me. I was walking and doing 10 minutes of walking/jogging alternating back in early fall last year and ended up tearing one of the meniscuses in my left knee. I'd like to try the jogging thing again but I'm frankly a little spooked about running based on what happened. Has anyone done this program with an injury like I have? I literally have not run at all since this happened - only relatively quick walking on the treadmill (up to 4 MPH) and then the elliptical. It may just be that running simply isn't meant for me but I'd still like to give it another shot.

I'm fully cleared with no limitations, have been since Jan - it's just a personal thing. Quality of life issue as they say.

Maybe then try it? But, be safe and start slow, run on a forgiving surface, and back off immediately at the first hint of discomfort. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Superbowl - I read your blog - congrats on your 5k success!

Phobos - I agree with superbowl - give it a try and tread lightly. Keep us posted!

weight.png

SB~Good job on the 5K. That's so exciting!!!:bcb_up I still remember the first time I ran 3.1 miles, without stopping. I was so excited and proud of myself. I NEVER thought I could do it. I had my DH take a picture of me when I was done with the run. I was still chubby, and I did it.

Have you signed up for an official 5K yet? You need to. Before you know it....you will be looking for half marathons. I ran the Disney Princess Half a week ago Sunday, and it was SO.MUCH.FUN!!! 50 and running a half. Sometimes, I can't believe it. I am certainly not a runner by nature, just something I decided I wanted to try. It's been an amazing journey.

I very much believe that running is what has gotten me to a weight that I am at today. A weight that I never planned to be at, or ever imagined was possible. When I rejoined WW for the last time back in 2007, I just wanted to get to the high end of my range, 155 pounds. I got down to 125 and have settled on a maintenance weight of less then 130. I am usually about 128ish.

C25Ker's, I'd like to encourage you to stick with the plan, and believe in yourself. You will be so glad you did. Really, if I can do it, anybody can.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Quinny, Trudie - thanks!

Trudie - I still want to think about where I'm going with this. Not sure if a race is in my cards. I really hate being in a mob of people. (I can't stand being in a train station, or theater lobby, etc., shoulder to shoulder in a huge crowd of people. After a while, I feel like I need to escape. I love open spaces! So, I don't know how I would handle being in a crowd of people at the starting line and dealing with the mob taking off at once.) And, I don't think I'll ever do more than 3-6 miles. I've heard too many stories about how longer races, at my age, 48, can take a body to a place where it needs repair/rest.

Congrats on your race! Do you find that running a 1/2, etc., takes a lot out of you afterwards?

Just finished day 2 of week 3. I thought it would be harder today than it was, because I hadn't been on the treadmill for a couple of days since my daughter got the flu. It really wasn't bad at all.

Super Bowl - I don't like crowds either, but found the 5K we did last fall was quite manageable with regard to the other participants (several thousand). Once the race started, everyone fanned out and there was plenty of space - especially at the back, where I was!

Susan

Aiming for 196.2 :bcb_march

Trudie - thanks for your owrds of encouragement! Congrats on your success!

weight.png

Thanks Quinny!

SB~running 3-6 miles is nice. They are nice normal distances for me. I had to train to get to be able to run a HM. No, they don't take much out of me. I wished that I would have bought a pass and spent some time at one of the theme parks a couple of hours after the race. I would have been up to it. Hind sight is 20/20.

I will say, I am glad to be done training for a while, and to just be able to do regular running. When I had finally decided to run a half, I feared it would take the fun out of running for me. It didn't, I was excited to train and accomplish something I never thought I'd do.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie - Congratulations on your HM. You give me something to aspire to. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.

SuperBowl - Congrats on finishing the program. If you want to do a 5K and want to avoid the crowd, find a race that uses chips for timing. My running buddy literally panics in crowds. We get the chips and hang in the back. We let the crowd fan out ahead of us and our chip time doesn't start until we cross the start line. We don't care too much about our time, but it's still nice to know.

Susan - Good to see you were able to get a run in even though you had a sick one to tend to. Good for you.

Phobos - I broke my hip/femur when I was eleven. I've had two surgeries on it to get me walking right. Because of that, I was a very inactive child. Encouragement from DH helped me to be a more active adult, but even he had his doubts about me running. I did it with my doctor's input all the way. The one time I had a problem, I saw her and she told me to take two weeks off and go back slow. It worked. If you still have the desire, here's another vote for be smart about it and go slow.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.