Health Discovery Network
michele914

Question about E-tools recipe builder

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me.

When entering a new recipe in E-tools that includes a banana why does it calculate the banana as 0 but tells me the pp value is 7 on something that should only be 2 pts? Should I go with the 7 or 2?

SW 198 -4/24/05 On my own

CW 151 (-47lbs) gone forever!!!!

GW 130- I can do it.. I can, I can, I can

:wave:Slow and steady wins the race

Can you share more information about the other ingredients in the recipe? Did you include the number of servings? What recipe builder does is look at the recipe in its entirety, and does calculate some points for fruits and veggies and free items.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Fruits and most vegetables are free, but they are still counted in recipes. I read an article on weightwatchers.com that I can't seem to locate now that had a great explanation for why they do this. The eating experience changes when a fruit or vegetable becomes part of a bigger dish, so counting fruits and vegetables as part of a recipe is done to keep you from overeating. You probably won't overeat on tomatoes, but you might overeat on tomato sauce.

My rule for whether to count fruits or vegetables in a recipe is this: If I can easily separate the food into it's separate components, I count everything separately. (So if I make a sandwich I calculate the points for the bread, for the meat and for any toppings individually.) I build the recipe for anything that is not as easy to separate as a sandwich, which is really almost anything that is not a sandwich.

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

Yes, it's a designer whey protein shake i don't know the nutrional facts off the top of my head but it comes to 2pts, water and i like to put half a banana in it. Something that should only be 2pts calculates to 7 in e-tools.

Recipe Builder uses the ni for ALL ingredients, even those with 0 points. If you are making something that is a single serving, like a smoothie, sandwich, salad, etc., you can enter the ingredients into the tracker and then save it as a Meal.

Here is some information from WWers:

Fruit (and vegetables) in recipes still contribute toward the PointsPlus values

Just as we've always done with 0 PointsPlus value vegetables, even 0 PointsPlus value fruits contribute toward the total PointsPlus values of a recipe, whether it's a Weight Watchers recipe or one you build yourself in the Recipe Builder. Recipes add up the nutritional info for all their ingredients. If you ate fruit only, save it as a "meal" rather than a "recipe."

And this is from one of the WWer program developers:

Ah, smoothies and the fine line between juice and food...

Here's the issue: If you put a banana in a blender, you still have a banana. But what a minute ago looked like a substantive snack, now looks like a tiny shot. So you might be tempted to add another banana and maybe even some raspberries, a few grapes, that leftover papaya from two days ago and a kiwi, just to fill your glass.

As we described in Momentum, juices bypass the body's hunger detectors. Smoothies seem to sit someplace in the middle—more filling than a juice, but easier to consume than plain fruit. If you sat down and drank the smoothie we just described, you've just slurped back 5 or 6 servings of fruit in one sitting.

Should you count it as zero? Yes. You can count it as zero using the Simple Recipe Math described on page 42 of the GSB. But if you are drinking a lot of smoothies and you aren't seeing the results you were expecting at the scale, I recommend you put those fruits into the Recipe Builder on eTools and start counting and tracking the PointsPlus values.

When you juice any fruits (ie removing the pulp and feeding through a juicer) no matter if you do it at home, in the car or on the beach, you no longer have fruit; you have juice and you must count the PPVs. Same is true if you dehydrate the fruits, because you have removed the water that made fruit such a nice low-energy density treat.

What if you bake the fruit? Boil it? Microwave it? As long as you don't add any ingredients with PointsPlus values, you still have a zero-PPV treat. Count it as zero.

So why does the Recipe Builder on eTools tell me it has PointsPlus values? The recipe builder can't tell if you've made a baked apple with cinnamon or banana bread with heavy cream. It only knows you've made something with fruit. At Weight Watchers, we want all of our recipes to be consistent with each other. And we want them all to be consistent with any recipe you might have at home with nutritional information. So we calculate every recipe the same way—we add up all the nutritional info and calculate the PointsPlus values from there. This gives you the MOST accurate PointsPlus values. And for really tasty items like banana bread with heavy cream, you probably want that information if you want to see weight-loss results. BTW, this is always how the Recipe Builder worked, it just wasn’t as obvious when you only saw it with vegetables.

So that's more info than you require. But as usual, where we ended up was LET YOUR WEIGHT LOSS BE YOUR GUIDE. (Think of Obi Wan Kenobi "Use the Force Luke")

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Since i am just adding half a banana I am going to stick to the 2 pts i came up with before entering in E-tools, othwise i will be forced to omit the banana and just drink the shake after my workouts alone, I am not using 7pts just because i added a 0pt banana. This seems to be a little confusing as to decide which PPV to go with, but from what I read from the above I am not adding 2 or 3 servings of friut just half of one..

What if you bake the fruit? Boil it? Microwave it? As long as you don't add any ingredients with PointsPlus values, you still have a zero-PPV treat. Count it as zero.

Thank you for sharing this Luanne! This morning I microwaved an apple with a little bit of cinnamon and I LOVED it, but I wasn't 100% sure if I should count it or not. I think I have my new go to sweet treat!

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150