Health Discovery Network
duroc_2000

The science only works when you do your part

Like many of us who are currently on WWers I am a veteran of numerous programs from the past including the old liver and tuna days. Since those days, the science of food and nutrition has advanced astronomically. No one has been more involved in this research than the scientist at WWers. With the new Pointsplus program we are getting to experience the results of their hard work. Just like many others here I was highly sceptical when I received my new material. The first thing most of us notice is the increase of points allowed per day as well as an increase in the weekly points we are allotted. Because we are accustomed to the old plan we naturally equate an increase in points with a decrease in results on the scale. I do not believe this to be true with the new plan. First, many of the points for certain foods have increased. Foods higher in simple carbs and fat but lower in the good stuff like protein and fiber have increased. Some as much as 3 fold. This in itself is teaching us to choose our foods more carefully. If we do this we will be allowed to consume more food. If you are a volume eater like myself this will keep us more satisfied and more likely to stay OP. Second, our body breaks down and processes different foods in different ways. If we were to look at our body as a furnace then complex carbs, protein, and fiber would be like notebook paper quickly consumed. Once that external food source is extinguished then our bodies turn to the next available fuel source which is our stored fat. Fat and simple carbs are much different. They would be more like a huge log that even though it might burn, the next morning there is still some left. That left over log is what gets left on our butts.:bcb_smile The scientists at WWers understand these issues but they are not the catalysts that drive your success. YOU ARE! In order to get the results we want we must do our part. Researchers can give us all the science and data in the world but they cannot give us willpower or common sense. 0 point fruit does not mean you can eat 5 bananas, 3 apples, an orange and half a watermelon and have success. We also MUST....and I mean MUST adhere to the healthy guidelines! In addition to this, reducing your sodium intake is also important as well as exercise. If you want great results then GET MOVING! You'll feel better and even if the scale might lie nothing gets you in a smaller wardrobe quicker than hard work at the gym or on the track! So in closing just let me say that even though I was a little sceptical my first week on the new program I trusted the science and did my part. I exercised every day, journaled my points, adhered to the guidelines, and reduced my sodium. The result......12.8 pounds gone forever! Now for the kicker. I did this all with a daily target of 71 points. 71!! That's 27 points more than I have ever been allowed. If the science didn't work then how would that have been possible? Have a great day buddies and KEEP FIGHTING!

David

HW: 570 ( Pretty big huh?)

SW: 511.8 ( Well thats a little better)

CW: 469

IMPOSSIBLE is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. IMPOSSIBLE is not a fact. It's an opinion.

Good post David.

If we want to see results, we must do our part. We MUST follow the Healthy Guidlelines, and TRUST the Program.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Great Post!!! So true...work the program and the program will work.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Yes, great post... losing weight and getting healthy is so much more than just cutting back on calories. I'm thankful that WW continued to put the necessary $$$ into research and development, so that I could enjoy the benefits of a healthy eating/exercise regime. Yes, it's a BATTLE; if it were easy we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. That's why this is a BOOTCAMP.

Oh, and look at your stats, David! You're 200 pounds lighter than your highest... good fight, buddy... keep it up!!!!

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Bravo David for your success. Love the post. I have always said WW works if we work the program.

Clara

Non-smoker since 11-15-01

WW goal..... 120

Personal Goal... 110

CW.... 104... 06/01/20

This was perfect. We have to do our part... its the only way.

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

Amen, Buddy!

/H

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

Nice motivational post! I am a rededicator, and I need to hear that it is up to me to get serious and work the program!

Colleen

163/142/130

SW/CW/GW

:jump_jack

:work_out:

I guess I'm one that doesn't really care which official program is which. All of them were good, all of them worked. Just speaking for me, the battle isn't about carbs versus proteins versus fat. It's fighting that battle that wants to use food for problems it wasn't designed to solve - you know, the late at night I'm depressed (sad, happy, lonely, bored...) so I think I'll eat. Which means I'm agreeing with you in one sense, but I figure in 20 years they will be making fun of this program, just like we make fun of the one we had 20 years ago.