Health Discovery Network
LillieG

Old versus New

So what is everyone's verdict after a few weeks on the program. Do you like it better, worse, or makes no difference? I'm in the latter category for the most part. The one thing I really don't like is the new versus the old calculator. The buttons on that darn thing are just too small. Minor quibble though.

I've been doing the old program for many years and have been at goal for almost 10 using the old program - I'm staying with it.

Lifetimer since April 2001

195/135/150WW

Like the new program. I've liked them all since 123 success. My calc. I don't like how sometimes I have to press down to get a number. I only use it to calc. Does anyone use it for more things?

Ginaki~Wow, 10 years, that's amazing and very inspiring. Congrats on a job well done!:bcb_up I hope one day say that I have been OP and at my goal for 10 years. You must have some before and after pictures to share with us.:bcb_wink3

LillieG~I have been struggling with this one. I have done the old program on and off since it was out. Restarted the old program almost 4 years ago now and it got me to goal and I am still there.

I went to a meeting in December and got the PP information, calcuator, etc. I haven't fully embraced it yet. In fact, I have decided to stay with the old program for a while yet. I am working about 50+ hours a week, (are moving to a new hospital this week), and I just didn't need the stress of relearning the new points right now. I get the new program, and I feel I need to jump on board and move forward. In time, I will. I eat pretty clean now, so it's really not that different for me. I just need to relearn some points. It's probably a wash for me. Ya, points went up in my breads, whole grains, etc, but I also went from 18 to 29 DPA.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Just another way for ww to make more money. I'll stay with the old. I have plenty of old ww cook books and will do it on my own. WW will get NO more money from me. No more meetings either!

I have been trying the new program, and believe I am going to go back to the old after my WI this coming week.

Susan

Aiming for 196.2 :bcb_march

I guess I am the odd man out here. I've been on the new program for just over 3 weeks now. The day that I rejoined this time I had met with a weight loss surgeon to finalize my decision and plans for surgery. I've been on WW and every other diet known to man (or so it felt) and there was NO way I would ever do WW again. I just didn't have it within me to even try it again. To describe my feelings in terms of 'despair' is truly an understatement.

Except things didn't go as I expected at the surgeons' office either. He was really leaning towards gastric bypass which I had and still have absolutely no interest in. I felt distraught that day, because I had completed every insurance requirement necessary to have the surgery of MY choice, and it sure didn't go the way I had planned. That was when I decided to give this new program one more chance.

I went to a meeting place that night and joined in order to get all the print materials, calculator, find out my points level, etc. Then I went home and joined online. I have never been more thrilled with a plan in my life. I honestly feel as though weight watcher's has finally gotten it right! The points are weighted so that I feel more 'pressure' to eat more wisely. The empty foods I had consumed-yet failed to satisfy- were not worth it anymore. The fruit I avoided because I didn't want to 'waste' a point on them are available with sensibility. I've never overeaten on fruit, so gorging on fruit is not an issue. I have more points which makes it feel possible to eat out if I need to without deprivation. I find myself choosing healthier foods in a way I never had before.

Perhaps the absolute biggest transformation of all, is that I considered myself addicted to sugar...seriously addicted to sugar. That is no more, and that is a freedom I can't even describe!! In 3 weeks I have lost 9 lbs.

I know that WW is a business and interested in making as much money as they can, but I can not disagree more vehemently that this is just about WW trying to make more money. For the first time ever, I feel that the exact opposite is true.

This new Weight Watcher's plan of eating is a taking everything into account in one package. No more altering foods by adding fiber in order to artificially lower points, etc, etc, etc.

It may sound awfully dramatic, but I honestly feel this new plan has save my life.

Deborah

I did the old core program and am happy that points plus does have the option for SFT (simply filling technique) still in place with modifications, of course. I lost 10 pounds the first month. Then moved over to try to count points for a week and didn't like it at all. Next week I will be going back to SFT. It is a mind game I think, but I tend to choose cleaner foods when I only have 49 points for the week to spend, versus having 29 every day plus the 49 for the week. So I do like the new plan, the new way of calculating points, but still love to not count and eat off the power food list. The calculator needs much improvement. The buttons will not always push correctly and they are way, way too small.

Never give up or look back,

:exercise: Mickee :exercise:

weight.png

HW: 238

WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Deborah, I'm with you. While I still sort of think of this as a ploy to get everyone to buy new stuff, I think it's a great program. I don't really have anything to compare to, as I joined WW after the new points system was released, but I don't have any complaints about this one. If I had already spent a lot of money on the old program, I doubt I would have switched. As it is, though, I feel great. I never have to worry about not having enough points, as I rarely use even half of my WPAs. That will probably change once I lose more weight and don't have as many DPs, but for now it's fine. I've lost 11 pounds in five weeks, and I still feel great about this program. I don't feel like I'm on a diet; I feel like I'm learning to eat better and make healthier choices.

~quix

http://musingsofanovereater.blogspot.com/

SW: 294 (12/21/10)

CW: 261 (6/6/11)

GW: 190

weight.png

I've been following Points Plus since September. I'm on staff and that is when it was introduced to us. Results were mixed at roll out. Some had great results right from the beginning, some struggled. In my case I've maintained since September. I pretty much didn't change what I was eating much. Over the last few months though I have noticed that slowly we've been incorporating more Power Foods, things like whole grains, eliminating "white" foods. I've also started using foods I really like instead of just ones that were low in points (bread in particular). I'm finding that I feel better, and I'm more satisifed. Also, this year for the first time EVER, I maintained over the holidays (Thanksgiving through New Year's).

I've had the programs described to me like this. It's like internet access, with the old program being dial up and the new one DSL (or whatever is fastest). They both work, but the new one has the latest technology. I'm glad WWers continues to research, study and test. If they didn't we'l all still be eating liver once a week and fish every day (that program worked too :bcb_wink3).

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

There is absolutely NO question in my mind that WW is the way to lose weight... it truly is a lifestyle. Sure, WW is a business, but it is a business with integrity and some of the profits are obviously going into research and development. Personally, I don't think it's all about money.

Like you, Deborah, I found that the Points+ program gently nudged me into making better choices. I started the Momentum program a year ago, and lost 55 pounds by the time the new program came out, so I can definitely say that I was successful on it. However, when I look back in my tracking journals, I see a huge difference in the choices that I am making. I have had an apple almost every day on the new program... on the old one, my snack choices were usually 1-point snack bars (carbs), 1-point popsicles, 3-point ice cream, 2-pt. WW cheese twists, 1-pt. WW cookies, 2-pt. Thinsation cookies... you get the drift... not a lot of healthy choices. Now, that those snacks are 3 or 4 points, I simply see them as "too costly." I know that my DPA has gone up, too, and so the net cost probably isn't as high as it seems, but I still don't want to spend my points that way (a bit of a head game with me, I suppose). I also like the fact that the AP have gone up a bit, too...it's like I'm getting rewarded for doing what I should be doing. For those who were already making wise choices, there probably isn't a huge difference between the old and the new plans... and re-learning the points is a chore, although I'm finding it's happening more quickly than I anticipated. BTW I'm finding that I'm always using the points estimate formula that was shared here (i.e. [(3xfat)+p+(c-f)]divide by 10). I didn't have such a way to estimate with the old plan.

Deborah, congratulations on your start-up success! I hope you have connected with a buddy group--either on here or on the WW forums (or both). Yes, your post was dramatic, but a life being saved IS dramatic! Keep posting; we want to know how you're doing!

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

I love the new program! I lost 75 lbs. on Flex/Momentum so the old POINTS system absolutely worked for me. However, I have embraced the change of PointsPlus and I am having great success so far!

I think of it this way. Thirteen years ago, when POINTS was launched, I had a Nokia 5160. At the time, I thought that phone was the greatest thing I have ever owned. It had interchangeable face plates! It had the most popular cell phone game of it's time: Snake! I could download single tone ring tones that sounded nothing like the songs they were meant to represent! I LOVED that phone, but I would never trade my current iPhone in to have it back.

I, for one, am more than happy to pay Weight Watchers for their materials. Weight Watchers is a business. It is the revenue generated by meetings, online memberships and product that funds the research that goes into their programs. I absolutely want Weight Watchers International to bring me the latest in nutritional science! Otherwise we'd all still be eating things like mousse of salmon. Nobody is forcing anyone to change programs. POINTS didn't suddenly stop working because Weight Watchers launched a new plan. If you are unwilling or unable to spend the money to acquire the new program materials that is totally fine. However, I am absolutely willing to invest in a new program based on the most up to date nutritional science.

On a final note, I will say that I feel badly for the people who invested in the food scales, pedometers and other expensive items that are POINTS specific. I almost think Weight Watchers should offer a trade in discount for those who really depend on these items. Cookbooks aren't so bad because they can always be recalculated. (I don't own any of these items myself. I have always preferred to calculate points myself rather than trusting a database that might not be as accurate as I would like.)

Shelly

SW: 199.0

CW: 172.2

GW: 150

I like the new program, and find I'm eating more and doing just as well as I did under the old 123 Success program.

I can't believe people really used to add Fiber to foods to reduce the point counts. Oy! Okay, I understand it. I really do. I'm very fortunate that I don't have those needs/issues. I empathize with those who do. I just didn't realize that people did that. I never would have thought of it myself.

Anyway, I'm sticking with the new program. Once I learned the point formula (thank you people here) so knew I could keep track efficiently even if I didn't have my phone and/or books with me, I was pretty convinced. My results will be slower because of how close I am to the "right" weight, but I don't doubt for a moment that I'll get there.

I will however note that I understand the "not a penny more" crowd. This *is* the first new plan I've even looked at since 123 Success - and only did so because I read how it was taking additional factors of the food into account, etc., so for the first time I really did believe it was more about the science rather than unrolling something new as much for marketing purposes as anything else.

Deborah

My "Journey" is in my Blog here.

-------------------------------------------------

To love another person is to see the face of G/d

-------------------------------------------------

Gay/Lesbian Issues

http://rslevinson.com/gaylesissues

I agree with Deborah. The new program forces me to think more carefully about my foods - I am definitely going for more "power foods" that keep me satisfied longer, and I like having the option to eat fruit and not use up my points.

I think this new program is a little of both for WW - both a GREAT and HEALTHIER program, but also yes, a way to jumpstart their economy. It will be a little more difficult for people to use the program without the calculator - the old program was much easier to "pirate." LOL

My only complaint is that the food companion books are in error (I found some errors that were not on the list of corrections that was circulating so I know there are MORE errors in the book.) The new points calculator is annoying in a way - I preferred my slider for ease of use in the store - I'm so used to looking for Fat, Fiber, and Calories on the labels that I have to struggle to ignore the calories and find the carbs/proteins...my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I've lost 7 lbs so far - my 2nd week I didn't lose (just maintained) because I wasn't counting points for my fresh juice -which I now know better. I am not as hungry as I was on the old program - and I love having all these points to play with. I like this one so much that I threw out the old materials, (without thinking, duh, I could have sold it on eBay).

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

:salutSW 232 CW 225 (-7) GW 130:salut

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Started Again 1/2011:kickbutt:This Time For Keeps

my blog:

http://wizzyswandrings.wordpress.com

I have really enjoyed reading the comments in this thread, and so much of it strikes a chord with me...especially the cell phone analogy! I wouldn't trade my antiquated motorola 'peanut phone' for my new Droid for anything! They both make phone calls and text, but well, beyond that there is no compraison.

It has taken a few adjustments. I miss my slide, but more than that...I miss being able to calculate points in my head. I used to be able to look at any nutritional lable and immediately tell you how many points were in it without looking at my slide or calculator or all. This too shall pass though...that's why I like using ww online. I have a couple of helpful apps that are extremely beneficial.

Another thing I've noticed..yet I can't explain, I'm much less likely to clean my plate than I've been in the past. Whether I'm eating fast food, or eating at home, I'm more likely to take into account my current hunger/satisfaction levels on this new plan. I don't know if that's because I feel like I have plenty of points left so I don't feel so compelled to eat it all or if just eating better foods overall create more satisfaction with less food?? I don't know, but I'm just thrilled with the new program.

Deborah

WOW!!! Change is hard in any aspect of life. I am happy to report that i am eating 3-4 fruit/vegtable servings daily when in the past I would pack these for lunch but had no problem substituting them for a less healthy = point option i.e. snack bar,chips... What I find exciting is the impact i feel the 'new science' will have on our health. Already the increased fruit and vegtables have added vitamins, minerals, and fiber to my diet. Sounds like a WIN/WIN SITUATION FOR THOSE OF US THAT FOLLOW THE PLAN.

Starting wt 282 7/12/06

Goal wt 180

weight.png

weight.png

I love the new program. I have transformed my kitchen and trying new things. I have lost 12 lbs since joining on Dec 30, 2010. It's the best program I have ever done.

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

Goodness, I haven't posted at BCB in soooooo long. Nothing is current about my signature. Had a major derailment from the program after losing nearly 70 lbs. However, I started back on what will be 4 weeks ago on Wednesday. In three weigh ins I have lost 17 lbs... I am NEVER hungry, I am always satisfied with my Power food choices, I am making changes in how I view everything foodwise and ONLY because of the Points Plus program. Flex was GREAT for me obviously, but I was one who would eat a 100 cal pack of cookies instead of the apple. This new program is transforming the way I eat, period.

"Being happy does not mean every thing is perfect; it means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections."

SW 10/12/04:242

CW:176.0 (lost 67 lbs total!)

Reached Onederland 3/14/05

GW:145

www.picturetrail.com/xanadu1.

Xan

Deborah, you can still figure out the points in your head. Here is a link to DocGuy's blog on BCB where he explains how to do it. I looks complicated at first, but even my old brain can manage the math! I figure that using this formula when I go shopping is likely to stave off Alzheimer's!

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/entry.php?262-Weight-Watchers-new-points-plus-program

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Deborah, you can still figure out the points in your head. Here is a link to DocGuy's blog on BCB where he explains how to do it. I looks complicated at first, but even my old brain can manage the math! I figure that using this formula when I go shopping is likely to stave off Alzheimer's!

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/entry.php?262-Weight-Watchers-new-points-plus-program

Wow, thanks for posting this link Linda!

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Greetings BCB'ers!

I just restarted WW again and am back to BCB. All my previous experiences were with FLEX, and I had great success. I am really liking the new PointsPlus plan. I find it really nudges me to more closely follow the healthy guidelines, and since fruit is now free (Yay!) I am more apt to use it to satisfy my sweet tooth than to use 100 calorie packs, etc. I am finding that I feel more "satisfied" like I used to hear other people say all the time that were doing Core when I was on FLEX. I won't weigh in until Monday. So, I am hopeful that the scale is as happy with PointsPlus as I am.

Emma

5'1"

SW 154.0

CW 154.0

GW 125

I HATE change! HATE, HATE, HATE it. Till now! Weight watchers has nailed this thing! This plan gives us options so we feel less restricted but teaches us that ingesting junk will cost us valuable points. That changes the way we look at our food choices. I call that dietary psychology and it's brilliant!

David

HW: 570 ( Pretty big huh?)

SW: 511.8 ( Well thats a little better)

CW: 469

IMPOSSIBLE is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. IMPOSSIBLE is not a fact. It's an opinion.

How do you know how many points you get a day?

SW- 235 Jan. 2, 2008

CW- 177.8

GW- 150

“There are two ways to live your life.

One is as though nothing is a miracle.

The other is as though

everything is a miracle."

How do you know how many points you get a day?

With Points Plus the only ways to find your Daily Points Plus target are:

- join meetings and have it figured for you there

- be an Online subscriber (or eTools as a meeting member)

- use the handheld calculator that meeting members or Online subscribers can purchase to calculate your daily points

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02