Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Super Bowl XLI

Life After C25K

A question for those who completed the C25K program: Once done, and you were able to run a 5K, what was next? How often do you run now and for how long? Do you still run 3 times a week? More? Less? And, for what distance?

I did C25K. Started it in June of 2007. I was able to run 5K when done. I ran my 1st 5K race that September. I have been running since. I am in training right now. When not in training, I generally, run 3 times a week. 2 week days runs of 3-4.25 miles. And a longer run on the weekend of 5-6 miles.

I was content running 5K's and my long runs were 6 miles. Deep down, I really wanted to run a Half marathon. I talked myself out of it for a long time. I wasn't convinced it was an obtainable goal, and I didn't want to fail. Finally, I convinced myself that I could do it and started my half marathon training this past July. In October, 3 weeks before my 50th birthday, I ran my first half marathon. I can not put into words how incredibly awesome that half marathon was. Now at age 50, and in just 3 weeks, I will be on my way to Orlando, FL, to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon. :bcb_smile

Where do I go from there? I really don't know yet. But I DO see myself still running.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie - Love your story. Thank you for sharing. So if I can build up to a half marathon, I get to go to Disney? Hmmmm . . .

SuperBowl - I started C25K in April 2010. I ran outside so never paid attention to distance. It was all just the timed walk/runs. When I "finished," I could jog the 30 minutes, but it was not a 5K. I pouted for a day and then got in my car and drove around until I had laid out a 5K route close to my house. I started running it. I finally jogged every step after about three weeks. I did my first 5K race on Labor Day weekend in my home town with jaws dropping all around me. I wasn't happy with my time so jumped into another one the next weekend. On my way home I decided I needed to do a 10K. I got online and found a 12 week program to go from 5K to 10K. I picked a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day and finished in 1:06:28. Not great, but I wasn't last either.

My next goal is to run around Mackinac Island. My family has ridden bikes around it several times. I remember being on a tandem bike with DH one year and seeing runners. I remember being impressed by them. I have to do it. It's 8 miles. It's not a race. It's for me. I was thinking May would be good so I would keep running this winter.

I try to run three times a week but the Michigan winter has not always allowed it. My schedule is Tuesday/Thursday at least 3 miles and more if I have time and feel good. On the weekend I schedule a run with a buddy and we usually do 5 to 6 miles. My plan is to start in March to increase my distances to get ready for Mackinac. I'm just trying to maintain now.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

Heather~You have to run around Mackinac for you! It will feel so good. I am challenging you right now to make that commitment to yourself. You will be so glad you did.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie, Heather - thanks!

Trudie - best of luck in the Disney Princess Half Marathon, and, Heather - best of luck running Mackinac Island!

I was afraid you were going to say that you run 3x a week.

I go to the gym 3x a week and doing C25K on top of that has me exercising 6 days a week. And, with work and family, that's too much. It's been a real struggle.

I have 4 weeks left of C25K and think I'll only be able to run one, maybe two, times a week after I finish. I hope that's enough for me to keep up on my progress.

I completed the C25K program in 2009 and continued running 3 times per week for about 6 months and gradually I stopped. I did C25K again in 2010 and then found that interval runs were far more interesting to me. So now I use guided run programs for intervals using Cardio Coach and MyTreadmillTrainer. These workouts build in challenges for me so I don't adapt. That was probably the reason I stopped running in the first place is that I run for weight loss and with steady state runs, if you don't increase speed or distance or inclines, your results taper off. Intervals keep things interesting and now I run for longer times and distances because I mix it up.

"An excuse is the skin of the truth

packed with lies."

-wisdom courtesy of Mrs. Leslie, my 7th grade English teacher

Starting Weight: 213

Current Weight: 208

Goal Weight: 180

clevagirl - thanks!

And, congrats for picking it up again. Was it like starting at zero when you did it again in 2010? Or, did any of the gains in 2009 carry over and make it "easier" to run again?