Health Discovery Network
DrJulieAnn

My Classic Firm Workout Challenge

For years and years (as in, for as long as they've been out...20 years...yikes!) I made a resolution that I would be able to do the Classic Firm workout videos all the way through and at the suggested weights. I'd start and then hurt myself by using weights that were too heavy and yadda, yadda, yadda. When I turned 50 a couple of weeks ago, I decided that this is the year that I'm going to do it. For a couple of weeks I did the Firm Parts Not So Tough Aerobics workout a few days a week to get my body used to this type of workout.

I made the leap to the Firm Classics on Tuesday (I was on a trip or else I would have started on Monday).

Tuesday: Firm Classic Vol. 1: 25 minutes w/3# weights

Wednesday: Firm Classic Vol. 2: 37 minutes w/3# weights

Thursday: Firm Classic Vol. 3: 45 minutes w/3# weights

My first goal is to be able to complete the workouts with 3# weights. I will report my progress here. :bcb_up

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Go, baby, go! I still have much love and affection for the classic Firms. I am just getting back into exercise and The Firm, old and new-ish, will be the backbone!

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Thanks, Amy! The main thing to remember with The Firm workouts is kind of like the running thing...ease into it. We can be Firm Believers together!

I'll always have a special place in my heart for #2 with Janet Jones Gretzy. That was my first FIRM. You always remember your first! We got it out from Blockbuster and did it tons of times.

I did FIRM Cardio Party with my 12 year old daughter yesterday. I can barely move today. I can't believe how out of shape I am. I did the plyos and high impact moves. It didn't hurt when I was doing it. I used to do this workout entirely high-impact and on a "rest" day. Whoever said that fitness can't be stored was dead right.

I've got most of the FIRM workouts and am looking forward to getting reacquainted with them! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Kimberly, my "first" was Volume 3 with Sandahl Bergman. It is my favorite :bcb_up

I overslept this morning and then had a wonky day. Got some distressing news late this afternoon (not tragic, just distressing...I'm okay in the grand scheme of things) and decided to workout before dinner instead of grazing.

Classic Firm Volume 4 (Timesaver) 42 minutes with 3# weights (entire video)

Now, did I do the whole thing? I couldn't do all of the reps during the abdominal work so I'm not counting it as finishing it even though I did the entire tape. But, the endorphins did their job and I'm feeling a bit better. I will also do some meditation and affirmations to help get all of the competing voices out of my head.

I'm so glad that others have decided to join in on the challenge, too! Go us! :bcb_march

Firm Classic Volume 6 (Boomers): 52 minutes (entire tape).

Celebration: I was able to do all of the hover squats! Yay! :crazy:

Still working on: Being able to complete all of the ab repetitions.

I'm feeling stronger and it feels good!

I like #3 too!!

I've started doing FIRM workouts with my 12 year old. She sprained her ankle at BB last week and then she got "karate chopped" at BB this week so she hasn't been able, or wanted, to do weights so we've stuck with Cardio Party twice this week. We'll get into the workouts with weights in the next week or two. I really like "The Tortoise" and "The Hare" with Jennifer. Heck, I do like them all-- except some of the ones that require too many equipment changes!!!

If we're getting the FIRMies back on track, sign me up. I don't want to return to the gym until at least next September so I'll be doing walking (progressing to running) outside and FIRM (or TBL workouts) at home!

Kimberley

Today's Firm Classic Activity: Volume 1 for 44 minutes. It's those side leg lifts that are my challenge right now. If I can get through that sequence, I'll be home free!

Julie- They re-released so many things. I have two separate DVDs-- one called "Tortoise" and another called "Hare". I think they came in the same package but are on 2 DVDs. They were released to complement every other day-- Tortoise has more weights and Hare has more cardio so you can alternate back and forth!

I was sick over the weekend. Will get back at some more FIRM tomorrow! :salut

Kimberley

I have to get hubby to get the VCR hooked back up. Right now I can only do Fanny Lifter & Transfirmer stuff. That's okay with me. My favorite oldie is Maximum Body Shaping with Tracie Long. I am going to do CAAWT for 10 workouts then switch.

I don't know if I've ever done all the ab work reps on tempo! It's a great goal though.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

*argg* Last night I wrote a long post but it apparently went *poof*!

Anyway, I was a bit sore this morning but I still managed to complete 40 minutes of Volume II. I think I will focus on doing Volumes 1-3 for right now and then add the others to the rotation as needed.

Took a rest day yesterday. Today was only able to complete 25 minutes of Volume I because I felt so weak. Perhaps I should add to the workouts in 5 minute increments and stop trying to get the whole thing finished by the end of February.

I've needed to take a rest for a few days...fighting something off and I'm pretty sure I'm winning.

Any interest in getting The FIRMies thread back up and running here? We used to do a weekly or monthly thread.

I did Cardio Party twice last week with my daughter. We also did The Ultimate Fat Burning Workout and Standing Abs from Core Solutions on Saturday. I'd like to get us in the habit of doing FIRM workouts at least 3 times a week. I walk on the TM or outside most days but I like the intensity of the aerobics workout and also want to get back to using more weights. My daughter was talking about how conditioned her arms were from basketball when I was complaining during the workout on Saturday. I asked her if she wanted to do another one this afternoon and she said she couldn't because her arms were too sore. I guess they weren't as conditioned as she thought! LOL :bcb_grin (BTW- She was using 2lb weights.)

Kimberley

Yay! After a month of being sick, I was able to workout for 80 minutes! :crazy:

Classic Firm Volume 1: 25 minutes with 1 and 3# weights

WATP Four Mile Express: 55 minutes

I will spend the next few weeks regaining my strength and stamina. :bcb_march:bcb_march

(PS: Kim I thought you were going to get a Firmies thread going again or was I going to do it or???)

Classic Firm Volume II: 30 minutes 1 & 3# weights; Leslie Sansone 5 mile: 65 minutes. My shoulder is sore this evening but I'm hoping some ibuprofen will solve it.

Classic Firm Volume I: 36 minutes, 1 & 3# weights; Jane Fonda Low Impact Aerobics, 50 minutes.