Health Discovery Network
kerriberri

Points for beer??

My husband and I are going out tomorrow and I'm trying to find PP values for the beer I drink (Bud Select 55). I found nutrition facts but when I calculated them it came to 0 points for 1 and that doesn't seem right. I would love to be able to have 2 or 3 with out feeling guilty but I want to get it right. Any help? Thanks :bcb_bigsm

You cannot use the points calculator for alcohol. It doesn't take into account the alcohol grams. "If" you know the alcohol grams (and most beverages don't provide this information on the label) you can plug in into the calculator instead of fat grams.

You need to use the points found in eTools, or in the WWer Pocket Guide or Complete Food Companion. If the brand you're looking for isn't listed, you can use something similar. According to the Beer Cheat Sheet on the WWer website, it looks like your beer is 2 points for a 12 oz serving.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

You cannot use the points calculator for alcohol. It doesn't take into account the alcohol grams. "If" you know the alcohol grams (and most beverages don't provide this information on the label) you can plug in into the calculator instead of fat grams.

You need to use the points found in eTools, or in the WWer Pocket Guide or Complete Food Companion. If the brand you're looking for isn't listed, you can use something similar. According to the Beer Cheat Sheet on the WWer website, it looks like your beer is 2 points for a 12 oz serving.

Thank you Luanne! Since I'm new and just starting out I'd like to get everything right. :)

At our WW. meeting on Wed., the leader said the percentage of alcohol is the number you use for "fat" content.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

At our WW. meeting on Wed., the leader said the percentage of alcohol is the number you use for "fat" content.

Ashlee

Ashlee, it's the alcohol grams, not percentage. The problem is, most of the time it's not included on the label. If you have it, you can use it in the calculation. If not, go by the WWer materials.

Here is the full statement from the WWers program development staff:

The key ingredient you need for calculating wine, beer, liquor etc is grams of alcohol. Generally that info is not available on bottles or cans--when they list carb info it does not include the grams of alcohol. For our food database, we obtained the grams of alcohol information from the manufacturer. Generally 1 1/2 fl oz liquor, 5 fl oz wine and 12 oz beer each have 14 g alcohol, light beer has 11g or less. This works out to 4 - 5 PPV's for regular depending on additional carb info and 3 for light. Because 1 g alcohol has 7 cals, you can enter the grams of alcohol as fat grams when calculating for wine, beer, or liquor on the calculator

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02