Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

The First 3 Months Of My PointsPlus Experience

It's been interesting. Weight Watchers says my P+ DPA should be 34+6 (with the 6 for maintaining) and that's 40. They still tell me that now. But, I learned one month into P+ that was too much for me. So, I dropped my DPA down to 32, period, and have been there ever since.

Overall, I'm now 2 pounds lighter than I was when I started P+ three months ago. But, for the last 9 weeks, I've been working out more than I have in several years.

In any event, on the plus side - no pun intended - P+ has got me eating more plants and less things made in a plant (and that includes WW treats!). So, that's a good thing.

How about you? For those doing P+ since it was rolled out, now that we're 3 months into it, what's it been like for you?

To be candid, SuperBowl, I have struggled and have been stuck for a while. Having said that, I'm getting very close to goal, and most people find it challenging to shed those last pounds.

Like you, I am making MUCH better choices. I have probably eaten more apples in the past three months than I have in my lifetime (and I'm heading towards my 6th decade). The WW snacks and any other such fake food has gone by the wayside, and I understand how just counting calories does not lead to a healthy eating regime. A 100-calorie bag of chips has NO draw for me anymore, nor do the 100-calorie packages or Thinsation cookies. I will eat one REAL piece of homemade banana loaf and gladly take the hit for points because it tastes great and I can say (and spell) the ingredients.

Congratulations to you for figuring out what YOUR body needs and for your good food choices and increased exercise.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

crescentbeachzoo - thanks. I still think it's odd that WW says my DPA should be 40 and the magic number for me is really 32. It were 36 and 32, I'd say that was close. But, 8 points seems like a wide gap. Maybe it's just my crazy body?

Hang with it. I've heard many, many, times in the past about members taking several weeks or months to lose those last few and hit that lifetime goal. You're close - about 8 pounds, right? Hey, it may take another six months to lose that. It's possible. Just don't give up - and, remember, it's not all about losing weight, it's often about not gaining it.

When I was losing, I didn't mind a zero one week here and there. It beat the hell out of a +2.5 in one week, that's for sure. There's a lot to be said for holding the line. That's often a victory too. Best of luck!

I was late to the party. I'm finishing up 5 weeks now with P+. My points Target is 31, plus the 49 weeklies, plus APs. For the first couple of weeks, I had a sprained ankle and didn't do much exercise. I ate my full target and usually at least 30 of the dailies. The last two weeks, I've done a lot more exercise so I eat my 31 plus APs. This week, I've already earned 65APs and have two more days to exercise.

I lost 7lbs after the first 4 weeks. I don't WI again until Monday but will probably lose another pound or two then as well.

So, eating my Target of 31 points *plus* my APs is working. I may even be able to eat some of the weeklies as well but, for now, that's enough food. I usually only get 2-3 servings of fruit a day. I usually get the other 3-4 servings of veggies. I make sure that my daily points cover whole nutrition (make my food from scratch) and then I allow myself to "splurge" and have sweets or treats with my activity points. It gives me that much more incentive to workout if I know that I can have fun with whatever I earn and that if I don't earn any, I don't get that "fun"!! :salut

Kimberley

I am loving P+ - first change I have made since 123. I feel I can eat more, and, as I continue to push the envelope, the plan continues to work. I am really glad I took the plunge.

Deborah

-------------------------------------------------

To love another person is to see the face of G/d

-------------------------------------------------

Gay/Lesbian Issues

http://rslevinson.com/gaylesissues

SB- I find that I'm not necessarily eating differently than I did with the old program. I'll have to see how it works over time. I had huge problems with Momentum last year when I was training for a marathon. I wasn't getting enough points with my Target plus APs plus 35 WPAs so it lead to bingeing. At least this new program gives more points for exercise so if I make good choices with what I'm eating, I can properly refuel after running. However, I went off-grid for the better part of a year and now I've got more weight to lose before I can really get back into running. It's working well for weight loss thus far. The real test will be how I make it work with maintenance. I do like that more "empty" foods cost more points and more "dense" foods are lower in points. That's how I should be eating!!

Kimberley

This is the first change I've made since 123 also.

I haven't posted in quite a while now because I've been floundering. For the longest time I was what they called a Liberty member and only weighed in once a month. After they discontinued that plan I've had a hard time breaking old habits. I would follow the plan only well enough during the month to basically maintain. Up one time, down the next.

At first Points Plus was a big pain in the neck. Still is, actually, as far as having to figure points all over again. But, for me it seems much more doable. I used to get 20 PTS, and I usually sacrificed milk and fruit then. I simply wasn't willing to stick to only 14 PTS of food for the whole day. Now it is much easier to take my 6 dairy points out of 29 PP, and fruit is free, of course.

Points Plus also became less frustrating for me when I stopped trying to use the calculator to keep track of my points. Inevitably I would forget to change the day in the morning to reset my 29 PPs and so anything I ate then ended up being deducted from my weekly allowance. Now I only use the calculator for figuring points.

It's time to try defying gravity!

I think I'll try defying gravity!

Susie - I also only use the calculator for figuring points. Personally, there's no subsitute for the good old 3-month tracker book for me. It's a great way to look back and learn, etc.

As far as going up and down, that's going to happen.

Even on a weekly basis, I see my weight change every week. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Sometimes as much as 2 pounds. Sometimes as little as .2 pounds. Once in a while, it's zero. But, that's rare. Think big picture, what's your weight change every 3 months, 6 months, 12 months. If you're maintaining, over all, in those big end points, no sense beating yourself up. You're doing the right thing.

P+ has been great for me! I have managed to lose the 10 pounds that I gained back since the new program rolled out the week after Thanksgiving, plus another 3 pounds on top of that! I'm now under my WW goal, and almost to my personal goal. I eat a lot better than I did on Momentum. I now grab fruits and veggies instead of junk food, but once in a while if I have a craving for chips or chocolate, I splurge and eat it and count for it. I feel this is their best program yet!

I love Points plus. I get 29 points plus the 49 per week, plus activity points.

I've just past my 10th week and I'm down 17 lbs. I've lost every week since joining, except for this week when I "maintained". I've had teeth problems and did not eat as much fruit and protein as I normally would in a week.

I love the idea of "free" fruit, within reason, of course. As our Leader said - that does not mean eat 6 bananas in a day - lol.

I've done WW. before and lost weight on the other WW. plans too.

I know that carbs count more and I'm a "carb" person, but I still like it. Instead of eating "carbs" for snacks, I eat fruit.

For a night snack I have a really "good" apple (free) and a 1 point Babybel light cheese. I cut the apple up into quarters and end up with a whole dish full - LOVE IT.

I'm not buying "carb" snacks, i.e. different crackers, even if ff. or low fat. That just does not work for me. Let's say you get 7 snack crackers of some type - who eats just 7 and who eats them wthout something on them, which results in use of more points. End result - they don't even fill me up, or satisfy me.

I just try and stay away from the carb "trigger" foods.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

Ashlee - down 17 in 10 weeks in the prefect pace. Great to hear it's working for you!

But, don't forget, not all carbs are bad. Simple carbs, aka sugar, are not good. But, complex carbs are good fuel since they take a long time to burn. In fact, fruit is carbs! But, because of the fiber with it, they're also good carbs as they take longer to burn and are not transfered to fat, right away.

More on this.

Both plans worked for me. I find Points Plus pushing my eating regime to more protein, fruits and vegetables (I blasphemed in my ww meeting said it tasted similar to Atkins - got a frown frm my leader). I ran the P+ program at my loosing allowance of 32 and found the wt dropping off. I played with the numbers a bit cuz I am on maintenance so the pgm seems to be right on for me. I like the greater pt assignment for the exercise under P+. I like the zero pts for fruit and most veggies and find myself eating more of them.

Like any thing else - it works if you work it - and half measures avail us nothing. . .

MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life.... :bcb_march

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)

Interesting Mt Native. I had the opposite with P+

My number was to be 40, to maintain, adding 6 to the 34 the program calculated. But, in the end, I found that 32, period, is the magic number for me. Go figure!

The primary change under P+ was I really cut back on my carbohydrate intake to only eating carbs that are high fiber/complex. Things like wwheat bread 3 g+; breakfast cereal like shredded wheat - Go Lean - Fiber One or oatmeal. Maybe an occassional baked potato or sweet potato. Figuring that I am still getting adequate carbs in the fruit that I eat. . .

Yes, weight loss is a funny thing - it really is individual and you just need to stick with it long enough until you can really see how your body reacts to different things you consume as intake and how it reacts to different output events (exercise).

Bye.

MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life.... :bcb_march

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)

Yup. That's what I'm doing too - cutting back on my simple carbs and trying to eat mostly high fiber/complex carbs, when I have them. That's what I like most about P+ - is that it's trying to push us in that direction.

Hmmm... interesting observation here... SuperBowl, you are at 171.6 and your P+ target came out to 40 (which you have adjusted downward); and Mt_Native_Man, you are at 175.4 and your P+ target came out at 32 (which you have adjusted upward). I know that age is factored in, but I would be curious how much that counts, since your weights are so close to each other, yet your P+ targets are significantly different.

Just a curious observation... certainly don't expect to find out the answer. But it is a reminder that we need to be diligent about figuring out what works for our own bodies, then sticking to the plan.

weight.png

Well, for the record, my DPA was 34 under P+ and then WW told me to add 6 since I was maintaining. Not sure if Mt_Native_Man was told to add six too? I'm 48, if that helps.

I love the P+ program. I have been on the program for 9 weeks and have lost 19 lbs so far. I have been making better food choices and exercising like a machine. It's really been great!

SW: 239.0 (12.30.10) CW: 233.6 (01.05.12) GW: 150

Loss: 5.4 lbs thus far

Well I have been reading this thread and it seems as if the new program is working for you all. I seem to be stuck in the old school. I cannot seem to wrap my head around getting 29 points (instead of 24) and getting 49 extras unlike the 35 from before. I have to change my thinking I guess. I have been stubborn I guess, ... but maybe I should give it a try. That seems to be my number one struggle ... hunger ... and then I go over my 24 points. Perhaps with 29 and the extras weekly, I will be able to combat my overeating. It seems to work... I am on board. I have all the literature, but not the calculator. Can it be done without the calculator?

Katrina

weight.png

Katrina - hang in there. You can do it roughly without the calculator. See this blog post.

Fruits and veggies are the key - as they've always been. Remember, if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not really hungry.

Also, when it comes to overeating - try two things. Put the fork down between bites and leave it down for at least ten seconds before taking the next bite. And, after eating, if you think you're still hungry after that meal, wait at least 20 minutes before eating something else and keep yourself busy. You may find that you're really not as hungry as you thought you were...

Best of luck!

Great advice for Katrina, SuperBowl. I had never heard that one about "if you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not really hungry." That's a terrific measure... and easy to remember.

On my other thought... I hadn't considered the difference between losing and maintaining... that's probably where the disconnect comes.

Have a great OP day.

weight.png