Health Discovery Network
moemac

~ BCB Exercise Thread - March ~

Good Morning

Well for the last 2 weeks I have been nursing a sore calf muscle, this happens to me every once in awhile. I can't run, which is totally driving me insane. Fortunatley I can still get on my stairclimber.

Today I am thinking about getting on the TM to give it a whirl. Last week I managed to do 25 minutes before it acted up, I am hoping I can get 40 minutes in today. If not...I will climb my stairs. :bcb_mad2

Moe :salut

Moe- You were lonely over here so I thought I'd pop in and copy what I posted on the 30's forum.....

March 1- 5 mile walk & FIRM Ultimate Fat Burning Workout

March 2- 2hrs walking on TM & FIRM Bootcamp:MCB

March 3- 170 minutes of walking-- to the mall; to pick up Lucas & Nathan from school; evening walk w/a friend

March 4- FIRM 500 Calorie Workout & 40min TM walk

March 5- FIRM Cardio Party & Hard Core Fusion Express

March 6- TBD!

Kimberley

Hey Kim, thanks for keeping me company over here! haha

Looks like a good exercise week for you....WTG!!

I ended up only running for 15 minutes and then switching over to the stairclimber. Thank goodness I can still do that! Not sure what today will be....more stairclimbing I guess. Body toning tonight? Maybe, but since she's adding a bit of cardio in there I'm not sure the jumping will be good for my calf. Oh, just hurry up and get better! lol

Hello All,

I've been sick for the past week but today I pulled out my old Walk Away the Pounds 2 mile video and managed to do that at a lower intensity without too much coughing. It is obvious that I will have to ease back into working out but that is okay. Something is better than nothing.

Dr. J.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

March 6- FIRM Total Body Time Crunch & probably 40 minutes walking on the TM watching The Amazing Race tonight!

Kimberley

Hello everyone.

So far March has been a great month for me. My goal for the month is to be active for at least 30 mins per day and so far so good. I'm working on building up my running again after my bunion surgery with the plan of doing a 10k race the 3rd week of April. I'm not supposed to run on hard surfaces yet so I've been sticking to the treadmill, will progress to trails in a few weeks and then the road by early April.

I ran for 45 mins (almost 4 miles) on Friday and was so exhausted I had to have a nap after! A year ago, 4 miles would be a warm-up for me. Plan for today is cardio and weights.

Monique

SW: 198

CW: 145

WW Goal: 148

PG: 140

Feeling better...was able to complete WATP 4 Mile Express with minimal coughing. Yay!

Hi all

Well, still not back to running yet, but my calf is feeling quite a bit better. Today it feels totally normal, but I am scared to give it a try, so I think I will still give it a couple of more days. I did get a good bike ride in yesterday afternoon, and plan to do the same today. Sometimes I forget how much I enjoy my bike! Even though I am not outside....in the basement on rollers....but its a change. Watched an episode of Sopranos. lol

DrJ - you are so right, something is better than nothing! Glad that you are feeling better and getting back into it..with little coughing!

Monique - good for you meeting your exercise goal this month...I love running too, I guess you don't realize how much you are hooked on something until you can't do it.

Kim - I did find that watching tv while on the bike/rollers made the time go fast. When I am on the TM I usually listen to my ipod.

I made it to the gym yesterday as planned but I couldn't do much cardio because the TM is in front of a large window and the sun was shining directly in my eyes... blinding me. I have my sunglasses in the car for next time! I did do some weights though and an ab workout. I'm heading back to the gym again today and it's cloudy so I should be able to get some running in.

I'm thinking I might need new runners. I read that a certain pair of Adidas have really good cushion and a wide toe box- perfect for bunions- so I need to try to find those. I think it's possible but may require making a few phone calls. Once I get the new runners I will make the transition to outdoor running again.

Monique

Have been struggling with exercise, but have made it to the gym, anyway. DH and I are going to South Africa soon. It will be a great trip, but since we will be spending time in the Kruger National Park and wild animals, we have to stay in our car all the time! Last time we were there we did see an elephant charge another car. Happily for all concerned, it was just a scare charge. It certainly did the trick. Scared us.

As a result, it will be little to no exercise; the place we are staying has a pool. Maybe I can jump in and get some sort of exercise in.

Ack! :bcb_cry: I'll be ready to exercise when I get back! That's for sure.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

I found a pair of the runners that I wanted and they were on sale! Saved $40. Now I'm on the way to the gym to try them out!

Monique

Nothing better than finding something that you want thats on sale Monique! What brand were they??

I did 55 minutes on the bike today...felt great. Better than yesterday.

Love, love, love the new running shoes. In fact, I don't even want to take them off. I ran for 40 mins and even increased my speed a little and my feet don't feel at all sore. I really feel like I'm back in the saddle with my running. Yah me!

Moe: They are Adidas Adistar Salvation 2. It's the only time I've ever bought Adidas but they're perfect for my sickly feet. Lots of support (I pronate), plus flexible fabric at the big toe side and little toe area (I have bunions). I should probably stop running with all these issues I can't find anything that makes me feel so great after a relatively short amount of exertion.

Monique

That is great Monique, glad that you like them so much! It makes such a difference having good running shoes. I know what you mean about not wanting to take them off. lol

Not too sure what I'll do today, the leg is feeling a lot better, I am thinking about a Zumba class tonight. Hmmmm. Never been before! i have to work today so it would be good for tonight.

DS had hockey so we were up at 5am. Usually I just go back to bed but today I decided to get a little exercise so I walked on my TM for 30 mins. I also have my gym clothes in the car so will head straight there after work. Probably running, weights and abs again.

Monique

March 7- 70 minutes on the TM-- ran 30, walked 40; went on a 70 minute walk in the evening

March 8- feeling sick. took a rest day

March 9- 90 minutes on the TM watching TBL-- ran 30, walked 60

I stocked up on some high end New Balance runners when I was training for a marathon last year. It's important to cycle through your shoes. I find they're great stabilizers. But they're heavier than my ASICS Gel Nimbus. I have some Adidas, Reebok and Nike shoes but only use them for walking. I keep trying to find the best cheap runner out there but only the ASICS or New Balance seem to work!

Kimberley

So I understand it's a little slow over here so I came to liven things up a bit haha.

I work out Sun - Thurs and weigh in on Saturdays. My workouts are pretty set and don't vary much, as they work for me pretty consistently and I've noticed a good change in my body from a strength standpoint and an endurance standpoint.

My normal routine now consists of 99 minutes + 5 minutes cooldown on a treadmill (typically level 10 random which varies the incline from 1.5% to 7.8%) at a speed between 3.8 and 4 MPH. If I'm having shin splints (which is thankfully far more rare now than when I started following WW back in 2008) and I can't work past it (sometimes I can but sometimes it hurts too much) then I will switch over to the elliptical and do constant level 3 (more on that in a minute) at a speed between 7 and 8 MPH. I used to be able to handle higher speed/intensity on the elliptical but late last summer I had pneumonia and then after recovering from that I tore one of the meniscuses (meniscii?) in my left knee and so putting high amounts of pressure on it through the elliptical bothers me. (If anyone is interested I went the non-surgical route as recommended by my orthopedic surgeon, did a cortisol injection and worked out slowly for about 10 weeks building back up to essentially where I was before).

After I get done with the cardio machine of my choice I do two circuits through the weight machines which consist of (I don't know all the proper terminology so I apologize in advance) an abs machine (seated, hold two handles, pull forward and bend over keeping the abs tight), a shoulder / triceps machine (seated, push downward), bicep curls machine, chest press machine, rowing machine, and shoulder press machine. I do 15 reps on each machine on each circuit for 30 reps total. I'm at level 12/12 on the abs machine and level 9/12 on all the others (they use resistance bands rather than particular weights but I can say that using free weights the bicep curl is around 50 lbs). Some I think I'm going to move to level 10/12 next week (shoulder/triceps push down, rowing, and shoulder press). When I started I was at 3/12 or 4/12 depending on the machine so I'm pretty happy with the improvement. Unfortunately I have one shirt that no longer fits due to my having shoulder muscles now lol.

This is all LifeFitness equipment if anyone cares. I work out at a local gym (chain) called Anytime Fitness that my ex talked me into a few years ago. Best thing? All the cardio machines have their own TVs! :)

So that's my background...

I'm about 3 weeks out of having bronchitis which is going around in my area. Last night I did my 104 minutes on the treadmill and did my weights as usual. I need to get some new insoles for my shoes though as the padding for the ball of my foot is becoming inadequate over the time/distance I'm now doing.

Anyways...Does anyone else do the Presidential Challenge? I started because we had a competition here at work mid-late last year and that was the tracking method. If not, you can check it out. Awards are a nice motivator (but so is weight loss and health improvement).

Woke up with a sinus headache *grrr* But I did manage to complete Classic Jane Fonda Low Impact workout. It really works the arms a lot to get the heart rate up while also keeping it low impact. It is always amazing to me how a "simple" illness like a cold can really zap energy and strength. But I'm getting stronger again and am hoping I'll be back to The Classic Firm workouts next week.

Gloomy Saturday here. However, its 8*C and there is no snow so I guess I won't complain.

I am happy to report that I got a good pain-free TM run in yesterday! 45 minutes. I was scared to start, felt like I was running on eggshells waiting to feel it...but nope, it never came and I ended up having a great run, even if it was a slow one. I am not sure if I will run again today, or get on the bike rollers...I don't want to over do it. We'll see I guess.

DrJulie - hope that cold gets better quick, nothing worse than a sinus headache. good for you getting a workout in!

Phobos512 - hi there! sounds like you have a good workout regime going on, very consistant and seems to be working great for you by the sounds. I have never heard of the Presidential Challenge, I will have to google it and see what its all about. I'm always up for new things!

Well I had a good weekend. Did my normal routine on Sunday to start off the workout week, increased weight on the triceps press, chest press, seated row and shoulder press as I planned, then went for a motorcycle ride around the local area a few hundred miles. Also walked our beagle on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon when I got home. While I didn't have much loss this week (0.8 lbs) I am starting to see more definition in my muscles than I ever have before so I'm still happy and encouraged.

@moemac - the President's Challenge website is located here: http://www.presidentschallenge.org/. If you do it I recommend using it every day as putting in information after the fact is kind of a pain in the butt - the user interface is more flash than usability unfortunately. There are several WW groups participating in the challenge (find them from the groups link at the site) but it might be cool to start a group for this forum. It does stat tracking (at least, it used to, last time I checked it said it was not working yet and that was after the site's major redesign) and allows you to see what percentile you rank in in different activities as compared to others.

Had a good run outside today, managed 9.86K....I was aiming for 10K and thought I had it...but when after I'd stopped I noticed my distance was just short. OH WELL, close enough I guess.

Phobos - I did check out presidents challenge and the next time i went to get in I couldn't, so I'm thinking that I messed up my password or something or other. I am going to check it out again and see about the WWgroups there. Glad you had a good weekend and got your week started out on a postive note!

It was 77F in the gym last night! Ugh it was rough. Used up too much water early on during hte treadmill portion and had to ration. Hopefully it's btter tonight.

Moe - if you went on the PC a long time ago, when they redid the site they changed the way passwords were stored so only the first 10 characters were transferred over. So if you had a long password, try just the first 10 characters and you'll find it probably works. E-mail support is quick though if you need it. U of Indiana students I believe.

Today I went to my body toning/strength training class, 60 minutes. Felt good, after not being able to go to the class for a couple of weeks...I really appreciate being able to get there!

I will have to check out the presidents challenge again, it was just the other day that I had joined but maybe I am using the wrong password, gotta check that out.

Have a good night everyone, got to watch Biggest Loser!

Ran intervals today, feeling very much like a big chunk of lead. Even my fast splits were not too fast. But, I got through it...stretched a lot and had lunch. Later a friend of mine called that her and another friend were going for a short slow run. She had actually run that morning herself as well...so I decided that I would go. Very glad I did, I felt better on the second run than the first.

Altogether today I got around 11K in, so I'm feeling pretty good about my exercise today.

:kickbutt: