Health Discovery Network
DES2

ISO corned beef recipe from recent WW weekly handout pamphlet

I posted this on the Simply Filling board also, but no replies, so I'm trying here. I went to the big WW center in a nearby city today, and even they didn't have what I was looking for. :(

Over on the WW SFT board, someone mentioned that there was a corned beef recipe that appeared in the weekly pamphlet (I think it was either the week of March 6 or March 13) that didn't involve brisket and was somewhat points-friendly. Since I only weigh in once a month, I didn't go last week and this week, they were out of all past issues. Would someone be so kind as to post the recipe here for me? I would be very grateful! (on the WW boards, posts that share official WW info, points values, etc. are usually reported and removed, so I'm afraid no one would be able to post it for me there.)

Thanks MUCH in advance.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Hi DES2: The recipe was in the March 6 weekly pamphlet. It is fairly lengthy. It uses lean beef round rather than corned beef for a point value of 9. Here goes:

16 oz. lean beef round

1/8t salt, or to taste

1/8t black pepper, or to taste

1T yellow mustard seed

1/2t ground cinnamon

1/2t ground ginger

1/2t ground allspice

1/2t ground pepper

1/2t coriander seeds

1/2t ground cloves

2 bay leaves

8 small uncooked red potatoes, halved

16 baby carrots

1 medium head green cabbage, coarsely shredded

Sprinkle beef all over with salt and pepper and place in a large stockpot; pour enough water into pot to cover beef. Add seasonings and bag leaves and stir to coat meat; set pot over high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 40 minues.

Add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage and increase heat to medium-high; return to a boil. Partially cover pot and boil, until vegetables and beef are fork-tender, about 10 minutes more. Drain water from meat and vegetables, reserving 1 one of liquid; discard bay leaves.

Thinly slice meat against the grain and serve with vegetables. Pour some reserved cooking liquid over each serving. Yields about 3 ounces of meat, l 1/2 cups of vegetables, and 1/4 cup of cooking liquid per serving.

9 points per serving; prep: 25 minutes/ cook: 55 minutes/ serves 4

My footnote: I fixed a packaged (spices included) corned beef in my crock pot (slow cooker) on St. Patrick's Day and my point value for 4 oz. of meat was 7 points. I cooked my vegetables separately. Hope this is of some help. JoggingG

Dh made this recipe. It was very good, and much better for us that "real" corned beef. But, it didn't quite have the same taste.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Thank you both SO MUCH - especially you, JG for taking the trouble to type it in for me! Bless you!!!!!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu