Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Stiff Knee While Running

Sorry - I don't. Is it maybe because you haven't ran in so long? My knee moves around, so I have to wear a brace to keep it in line.

‎"If you really want something, you'll find a way; if you don't, you'll find an excuse." - Unknown

Having suffered a torn meniscus in my left knee last fall, I would recommend taking a few days off from running, regularly icing your knee, take anti-inflammatories if that's your thing, and keep a close eye on how you feel. I didn't actually feel the tear happen. The next day what happened was that I could barely walk. After an MRI and several visits to an orthopedic surgeon I'm doing much better, but I'll never be 100% again and that really bums me out. I still get stiff/sore after long workouts, and I haven't tried running again as that's what I was doing when it happened. I didn't have surgery as the doctor doesn't like to do it unless absolutely necessary for quality of life - as once that padding is gone (and all you can basically do is cut out what was torn as it's not a healable injury due to lack of blood supply), it's gone forever.

If you get any kind of popping or clicking, go to a doctor, don't wait.

OK, I really need some help on this one.

After I hurt my knee, running, I didn't run for another 16 days. During that time, it seemed to be getting better - slowly.

But, when I ran on that 16th day, about 2 miles into my 5K, just where my route starts in incline, my knee went again. (Same spot in the route as when I first hurt it.)

Yesterday, I had no choice and had to do a lot of walking and using stairs. It was hurting bad - and KILLING ME when I had to go down stairs.

Everything I read says that it's "Runners Knee."

So, am I doomed now? Am I going to have this for the rest of my life?

I plan on resting it for a good while before I try it again. And, I am going to see someone about it later this week. If I get through this, am I going to have to ice it now every time after I run? That will be annoying.

Anyone have anything they can share on this?

Superbowl - so sorry to hear this. I have no information as I am a novice myself. I hope someone can give you some information.

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

Thanks Quinny.

Everything I read says the same thing - rest, rest, rest. And, rest some more. Then, workout the quads, make them stronger. Get good shoes. Avoid inclines. And, ice the knee after running.

Well, I have good shoes. I guess I can avoid the incline. I do try and workout my quads. So, for now, it's rest and then get used to having to ice it down after I run each time, I guess.

Annoying? You bet. But, I'm not hearing anything else now in terms of options.

It's looking more and more like a torn meniscus for me. Hope to see the doctor soon. This is a major bummer.

That really stinks. Don't give up though. If you have a torn meniscus, you may very well need a partial meniscectomy, but you may still be able to get back to running. Talk to your Dr. about it. Stay positive.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Thanks Trudie! Tuesday is the big day. I have an appointment with the orthopedist that afternoon. I'm hoping that it's nothing major and something that can be fixed quickly.

Super Bowl,

What alternate plans do you have for exercise while you are recovering? I know when I broke my knee cap a couple years ago I thought my wt would climb drastically. It didn't cuz I started to really track and live w/in my daily pt allowance. I also did do some exercise in the swimming pool.

But I really missed my running/walking - esp the time outdoors.

Take care.

MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life.... :bcb_march

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)

Mt_Native_Man - right now, I'm doing nothing. On top of the knee problem, now I have a thigh strain.

To maintain my weight, I'm really watching my points and sticking to my DPA. Actually, before I recently started running and joined a gym, my only exercise was walking. And, I can't do that now with the quad injury. I can barely stand for more than 5 minutes.

But, it's always been about watching the points for me. Any exercise that I did, whatever it was, just turned into extra points for me to eat that day. And, if I don't have those extra activity points, then I just stuck to my DPA and that is it.

I am going nuts with these leg injuries though. I want them to be over with and get back out there ASAP. But, that's probably not going to happen until June.

Good luck Super Bowl. I was just thinking about you last night and wondered how you were doing. Sports injuries suck!

Trudie

Yes, they do Trudie! I can't get those seven weeks back. But, I hope, at the least, this will remind me in the future to run - assuming I still can - when I get the chance and be grateful that I have the opportunity to do it!

And, thanks for the good luck wishes - I may need it!

Well, that's disappointing! It's interesting that it doesn't start acting up until mile 2. I would think an injured knee would hurt pretty much right away. Do you still have the other shoes? I agree, you have given it adequate time to heal.

You haven't had an MRI yet? It would be interesting to see what it showed. I would have guessed a meniscus tear. I would see if running on a flatter surface made a difference. I just hate to see you give up running if you don't need to. Could you even consider a run/walk for a couple runs to test things. But start walking BEFORE mile 2.

Just trying to brainstorm a little....

Trudie