Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Super Bowl XLI

Personal Best 5K Run

I started the C25K program in January. By March, I was able to run a 5K. In April, May and June, I struggled with ITBS - until I figured it out and addressed it. So, this month, I was back to running "normal" again.

Including today, I've made 21 "personal" 5K runs since finishing C25K. (I should note that, before C25K, I never ran in my entire life - EVER.)

This morning, my time for the 3.1 miles was 26 minutes and 20 seconds. That's not fast for a real runner. (I've seen some times where a serious runner does a 5K in like 17 minutes.) But, for me, that's the best time I've ever done, so far.

And, it feels great.

Never would have been possible without losing the weight with WW and learning about C25K at BCB.

You're right, SuperBowl... it's easier to exercise and stay fit once you're there. You have recognized that fact, and that is a key ingredient to staying fit. I was a serious athlete in my younger years, and was active and fit until my mid- to late-30s. However, I just took it for granted... it had always been part of my lifestyle... I don't think I ever noticed that the quilting, reading, and piano playing that replaced the skiing, swimming, and running didn't burn as many calories. And then... wham-o... suddenly I woke up to the fact that I had packed on the pounds and left the active lifestyle behind. Good on you for being able to articulate what you did... you're there... keep it up! Oh, and congratulations on the personal best on the most recent 5K! Way to go :work_out:.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

crescentbeachzoo - thanks!

I know what you're saying. I was fit into my late 20's, let it all go in my 30's, and then had to wake up in my 40's to make it right again. And, now that I have, I'm looking forward to my 50's, 60's, 70's and beyond!

I started the C25K program in January. By March, I was able to run a 5K. In April, May and June, I struggled with ITBS - until I figured it out and addressed it. So, this month, I was back to running "normal" again.

Including today, I've made 21 "personal" 5K runs since finishing C25K. (I should note that, before C25K, I never ran in my entire life - EVER.)

This morning, my time for the 3.1 miles was 26 minutes and 20 seconds. That's not fast for a real runner. (I've seen some times where a serious runner does a 5K in like 17 minutes.) But, for me, that's the best time I've ever done, so far.

And, it feels great.

Never would have been possible without losing the weight with WW and learning about C25K at BCB.

Went for my first 5K run this AM since this last one. And, today, my time was 26 minutes and 7 seconds! A new personal best!

I finally got under 26 minutes for the first time today!

This evening, my time for the 3.1 miles was 25 minutes and 59 seconds.

OK, it was just by a hair...but I'll take it.

I actually might be doing one soon - through my kids school.

It will be interesting to see how I do with a crowd and running a route where I don't know the landmarks and how far I've gone and need to go, etc.

I was exhausted today. (Long story.) But, before dinner, I decided to push myself and go for a 5K run - because I knew this was my best shot to get it done over the next few days.

Guess what? I did it in 25 minutes and 20 seconds - my best time, to date. Go figure!