Health Discovery Network
anibas

Have you ever heard this??

I joined Weight Watchers in Jan. 2006, became a Lifer in April of 2006 and since then I have not missed a single monthly weigh-in.

I weighed in last nite for August, 2011 and I was 5 pounds under my goal weight. The Weight Watchers leader told me that she would let me off this time and she wouldn’t require me to pay since I was more than 2 pounds under my goal weight. Well, I was completely flummoxed to learn that, according to this lady, Weight Watchers charges Lifers who are more than 2 pounds under goal weight as well as more than 2 pounds over goal weight. She told me I had to stay within a 4 pound range: 2 pounds above or below goal weight

I explained to her that over the past 5 ½ years I’ve weighed in many times well below my goal weight and no Weight Watchers leader ever told me I would be charged for that.

After all this time, this came as a shock to me. :bcb_huh: Have any of you ever heard this before???

Thanks!

Anibas

First of all a big congratulations on achieving Lifetime and keeping the weight off all this time! :bcb_bravo

Second, I work as a receptionist for WWers and if this is some new policy, I sure haven't heard about it. Do you know if you are in a franchise location? It may be that you are, and they sometimes make up their own rules.

Do you have a gold Lifetime Pocket Guide? The Lifetime Membership "rules" are in there. What it does say on page 145 is that you can attend free as long as you weigh in once a month and stay within two pounds of goal. However I have never heard, or seen that interpreted to mean you pay if you are more than 2 pounds under. But, if you go to page 148 it clearly states there

• If you are more than two pounds below your weight goal, you do not have to pay the weekly fee. However, you may want to consider adjusting your weight goal, to be in line with our policy of being within two pounds of your weight goal.

So, I suggest taking your gold Pocket Guide in and showing it to the receptionist. If she claims the rules have "changed" asked her to show it to you in writing.

Good luck.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Luanne,

I don't know if my WW site is a franchise location or not. And I didn't know a franchise location can make up its own rules.

Also, thanks for pointing out pages 145 & 148 of the little gold Pocket Guide where this very point is mentioned.

Like I said, over the past 5 1/2 years, I've often weighed in more than 2 pounds under GW and no WW person ever challenged me.

Thanks so very much for your help and feedback, Luanne. I really value & appreciate it.

Anibas

I seem to recall a receptionist once telling me something like this - that if my weight dropped too far below my goal weight that they were going to reset my goal weight - and then I would be at risk of having to pay again if my weight went over that new goal.

It IS in the gold book.

My leader told me when I hit lifetime last month that if I ever wanted to keep losing (because my goal is a dr's goal above the WW goal range) to just tell her. I think her thought is that if I have another goal weight in my mind and try to lose to that and do it, then there's a substantial amount that I could gain back and still be under my goal weight.

Example: My goal is 157 The weight watchers highest weight for my height is 141

If i wanted to get to 141, then there would be 16lbs between my goal weight and my new weight. That I could EASILY slip back on and still be "lifetime" If i simply told them I wanted to keep losing and tried, but then changed my official goal to 141 or so when I got to it that wouldn't happen.

Make sense?

weight.png

I seem to recall a receptionist once telling me something like this - that if my weight dropped too far below my goal weight that they were going to reset my goal weight - and then I would be at risk of having to pay again if my weight went over that new goal.

This is different than what Anibas was told (I think). What she was told was if she went more than 2 pounds below her goal weight she would have to pay.

What you are saying is, if you go below goal they may ask you to reset it. Then if you are more than 5 pounds above the new goal, you'll pay. I don't think you were told you'd pay if you fell below, right?

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

What you are saying is, if you go below goal they may ask you to reset it. Then if you are more than 5 pounds above the new goal, you'll pay.

Yup. That's it.

Thanks for your reply, Super Bowl! I really do wonder, though, about the implied insistence to stay in a very narrow 4 pound range: 2 pounds above or below your Goal Weight.

I mean, seriously, what harm can there be if you are 5 or 10 pounds below your GW? Besides, a hormonal woman's weight can easily flux up and down by 5 pounds.

I interpret this dictum to remain in this restricted weight range to be a way for WW to extract more bucks from its members ....

I've decided that in the future, I'll just slip a 5 pound lead scuba weight in my pocket during weigh-in. :bcb_LOL:

Anibas~~

Here is something posted on another WWer support site from someone who is a leader. I think she states it very well.

"We welcome our members to pick a goal weight they are comfortable with. That can be at the high end of your range or the middle or the low end....we really leave that up to you.

Contrary to what some believe, we don't make this rule because we want your money....we actually WANT LT members to succeed and for long term, because it shows our program does work.....it's the best testimonial we have!

We ask that in order to maintain free LT status, you not to go more than 2 pounds ABOVE that range or you will be charged.....we also really don't want to see you go more than 2 pounds below your goal weight either.....Why you ask?

Long term success is being able to maintain your weight....not gain and lose and gain and lose....so we want you to have a goal weight that is something you can live with....2 pounds either way isn't a lot to have to manage (most of the time...LOL)

However, if you are battling 5 or more pounds it can get a way from you....and we see it happen WAY TOO OFTEN. This is not really maintenance...it's more replaying the end of your goal weight journey over and over again.

We know that people like to build a cushion into their plan....so it's easier to not be surprised on the scale and have to pay....and there is a good logic in that BUT, we know that studies have shown that MORE people are successful long term, when they have truly learned to maintain a weight without that cushion...or at least not a large cushion.....

Again, I reiterate that we want you to pick your goal weight (with your leader) and pick one that you're comfortable with....the rest will be up to you. We are here to help...."

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I have been a goal of 184 and have been running around 178 for several months doing maintenance and my receptionist and leader have not challenged me on this. I thought about resetting my own goal to a lower one cuz I seemed to be able to maintain my wt around the 178 range +- 2lbs.

Seems like I have less variance in my wt shifts under Pt+ - not sure why. My consumption shifted to more protein and high grain complex carbs under Pt+.

MO Platoon Member #184

This is for life.... :bcb_march

SW - 237.8 (March 16, 2006)

10% goal - 214.8 (5/18/06)

Lifetime goal - 184.0

Lifetime goal: 11/30/06 @ 183.2 lbs

WW lifetime membership: Jan 11, 2007

Current WT: 179.2 (5/5/2012)

I interpret this dictum to remain in this restricted weight range to be a way for WW to extract more bucks from its members ....

To be honest, that was my thought when they told me it!