Health Discovery Network
Patflat71

Is anyone here still doing/went back to one of the old WW program?

Hi all,

I have had great success with the 1-2-3 and then Flex programs about 7 years ago(I lost between 45 and 50 post-pregnancy pounds). Reached my goal weight, then stopped counting points completely (what was I thinking !?!?!?). Fast forward 5 years and I have put a few pounds back on (like 20 or so) so I decided to join again after last Christmas. I have to say I was a little surprised by the new program but gave it an honnest try. Managed to lose about 10 pounds and now, with just about 9 to 10 pounds left to go, I find it's just not working for me anymore... and I am getting frustrated.

I think I am going to try and go back to Flex for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference, even if just believe in the program again.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience and decided to go back to one of the old programs (1-2-3, Flex, Turnaround, Core, etc...).

-----------------------------------------------------

Pat

1. Choose your objective
  2. Create a plan of attack
  3. Execute the plan

:bcb_salut

Once I finally released on the older program and embraced Points Plus, I don't think I'd ever go back. But, I'm in maintenance mode right now, not losing.........which is where I want to be. I'm finding it much easier to maintain. For the first time EVER I've been able to maintain over the holidays and vacations without gaining weight. Much more liveable, at least for me.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Hi Luanne,

That is exactly what I am thinking about doing. Flex for a month, hoping for a 2 pound a week loss, then back to the current program for maintenance. Never again will I ever stop counting - huge mistake on my part.

:(

-----------------------------------------------------

Pat

1. Choose your objective
  2. Create a plan of attack
  3. Execute the plan

:bcb_salut

And I should add that both my dh and dd are on WWers as well. Dh reached his goal, and Lifetime, on Points Plus and dd is still on the losing path, with Points Plus.

I've seen lots of lots of posts though from folks who are struggling with Points Plus.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I never really changed what I eat before and after P+.

I was maintaining under the old (pre-P+) WW plan. So, I just kept eating that, tracking it, and it ended up being a wash under the P+ plan because the food was more points, but, I got more points. I was already eating a lot of fruits and veggies every day. The only real change for me was, under P+, is that I used to have, sometimes, two after dinner "snacks" that were one or two points each. And, now, those are more points. As such, now, I have one after dinner snack - usually around 3 or 4 points - and then have some fruit later if I still need to munch.

That all said, I can't say that I went back to the old plan...because I never really left it with the new one.

It's all the same to me: Make good food choices, eat lots of fruit and veggies, use portion control, and track your food. Call it whatever you want, it's all the same plan to me.

That's exactly what I feel.It's eating healthy,keeping a journal & keeping track of calories/points....whatever works.I'm not at all concerned with a different name.

I never really changed what I eat before and after P+.

I was maintaining under the old (pre-P+) WW plan. So, I just kept eating that, tracking it, and it ended up being a wash under the P+ plan because the food was more points, but, I got more points. I was already eating a lot of fruits and veggies every day. The only real change for me was, under P+, is that I used to have, sometimes, two after dinner "snacks" that were one or two points each. And, now, those are more points. As such, now, I have one after dinner snack - usually around 3 or 4 points - and then have some fruit later if I still need to munch.

That all said, I can't say that I went back to the old plan...because I never really left it with the new one.

It's all the same to me: Make good food choices, eat lots of fruit and veggies, use portion control, and track your food. Call it whatever you want, it's all the same plan to me.

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

I recently came back to WW and I hate points+. My problem is I threw old all my old info because I wanted a fresh start. I wish I had it back. I feel like I get way too may points (I'm large) and if you are suppose to eat all you daily points then I would have to force myself to over eat at the end of the day. Plus I am finding tons of bad foods that are way too tempting but lower points than the good foods. With the flex points I was always forced to look for better choices but on this plan I'm not. When they first started the old system they had to recalculate because there were so many high fiber foods that had few points and people over ate. So they changed it to a limit of 4 fiber grams. I think something simular is happening now with points + I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a reworked program soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a reworked program soon.

There won't be. The program has been very successful overall. There may be some minor "tweaks", but nothing major.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I also hate points plus. I see it called "pounds plus" on a lot of the less to lose boards. I think it works for maintenance and for people just starting their journey but if you have "less to lose" it is a problem for many including me. I gained weight consistantly on points plus. I am now back to flex. I too am mad at myself for tossng all of my old material for the new points system. :/ lesson learned.

Vicky,

(5'9"tall) hw 220/cw 150/gw 140

"Don't dream it, be it." ~ Rocky Horror

I just started points plus and can see that there are too many points for me. I have my flex points materials and going back to them OR I am just going to forget about the bonus points. I could see using them for a few days during the holidays and then getting right back to my plan of forgetting about them. I can see the need to not beat yourself up on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I need to be more careful about my choices and amounts of food eaten on a daily basis.

THIS!

It's not the name of the program, it's what we eat!

The number of points you get is higher, but they are not the same as the old points. The caloric value is not the same.

WW is just another way of keeping track of the energy in the food we eat, and making sure that we eat less than we use up. That's how we lose weight. Some of the point values are "weighted" to steer us in certain directions (for example 0 points for banana, it has calories, but WW wants to encourage us to chose that banan over some processed crap).

I would expect that telling oneself that what one is doing doesn't work might be a good way to get just that, though...

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

I'm glad to have found this thread. I just posted my first post in almost four years in the "Newbie" section. I believe I was on the Flex program in 2008, and I found it very easy to follow. If I had the nutritional information, I could easily look at calories, fat, and fiber and quickly calculate (in my head) how many points for the food. But the new system makes my head swim. It appears that I would be tied to a calculator to figure out points for food. Also, with the old points program, I could generally estimate how many points a particular food/meal would be. I can't imagine doing that with the complex calculations in the new program. Even if the exact nutritional information is available for most things I eat, it still seems more cumbersome to have to get out the calculator to figure out the points---more like a DIET than a LIFESTYLE. I can see continuing to maintain using the original (Flex?) program without interfering with daily life, but the other seems like it would be a burden. One other thing I like about staying with the old program is that I have a number of old WW cookbooks---some of which only give point values and not nutritional information, which would make it difficult to figure point values on the Points Plus program.

Of course, I haven't tried the Points Plus program, so I'm willing to be persuaded as to its value or as to why I need to change over to it. I'd love to hear the pros and cons.

I might add that, after four years, I currently weigh 167--2 pounds less than when I stopped using any program in April of 2008. I have confidence that if I resumed the Flex program I would continue to lose weight. So why change from something I viewed as basically simple to a seemingly much more complicated program? Again, I'm willing to listen to the other side.

SW-183 GW-143

161 - 03/23/12 -- 8 (22 lbs to date)

151 - 05/25/12 --10 (31 lbs to date)

You can go ahead and really use any program or variation of WW that works for you. Points+2012 is really the healthiest incarnation of a WW program. That being said I still eat CORE. it's called simply filling now and right there in the introductory booklet you get upon joining. Really any healthy eating/move more plan will work IF you do the work. They have now allowed members to drop their daily points plus target three points if they are not successfully losing. That may be useful for some of your friends in the "few to lose" board. I have a ton of few to lose members who are wildly successful.

Good luck to you.

I believe I was on the Flex program in 2008, and I found it very easy to follow. If I had the nutritional information, I could easily look at calories, fat, and fiber and quickly calculate (in my head) how many points for the food. But the new system makes my head swim. It appears that I would be tied to a calculator to figure out points for food. Also, with the old points program, I could generally estimate how many points a particular food/meal would be. I can't imagine doing that with the complex calculations in the new program. Even if the exact nutritional information is available for most things I eat, it still seems more cumbersome to have to get out the calculator to figure out the points---more like a DIET than a LIFESTYLE. I can see continuing to maintain using the original (Flex?) program without interfering with daily life, but the other seems like it would be a burden. One other thing I like about staying with the old program is that I have a number of old WW cookbooks---some of which only give point values and not nutritional information, which would make it difficult to figure point values on the Points Plus program.

So why change from something I viewed as basically simple to a seemingly much more complicated program? Again, I'm willing to listen to the other side.

My sentiments exactly! Although I think the P+ program appears to make a lot of sense, for many of the same reasons as you state above, it's unlikely I'll switch over to it. I think what's more important is to have a reasonably healthy program (which Flex, Core, P+ all are), and to stick to it.

Genoa, from your stats, it sounds like if you really implemented the lifestyle changes. Congratulations and good luck - whatever program you choose.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

DES2, Thanks for your comments about implementing lifestyle changes. I must admit, though, that when I stopped WW abruptly in 4/08 I didn't give any thought to lifestyle changes. I stopped because of a personal tragedy---the loss of a child. Immediately thereafter, I was virtually unable to eat (unusual for me, as I usually tend to react to stress/unhappiness by eating more). My weight plummeted until my body adjusted to the extremely restricted diet (lived on Ensure for about a month) and I slowly began eating again. During the years between 2008 and now, my weight has gone up and down. In the past six months, however, I've made a point of eating in a more balanced way (without counting calories, points, etc.) and quickly and easily fell back to my 4/08 weight. Now I'm ready to start working on the next 20 pounds.

That's what I like about the Flex Points program---even when I'm not OP and counting points, it's so simple to follow its principles and maintain. If the new Points Plus does, indeed, help people to make wiser choices nutritionally in how they use their allotted points, then that is certainly a good thing. However, there seems to be enough flexibility in the plan that one could technically follow the plan but not eat a truly balanced/healthful diet---just as they can with the Flex Points. I try to eat a balanced diet each day, with the occasional splurge. One of the benefits of recording what I eat is that I can look back over a week and see what food groups I may be neglecting.

So my reason for staying with the Flex Points has nothing to do with dislike or distrust of the Plus Points program. It has to do with the fact that I can almost seamlessly incorporate the Flex Points plan into my lifestyle. I don't want to have to manually calculate foods or bring out the calculator when I'm in a restaurant or at someone's house for a meal. With the Flex Points, I'm famliar enough with the formula that I can generally quickly estimate the points for various selections and choose accordingly. Also, I like to eat a varied diet---I'm not one to eat the same thing day after day, so it's not like I would alternate the same two lunches all the time and would just have to figure the values once.

It would be nice to go along with the majority and keep up with the "latest and greatest" offering from WW, but I'm convinced I would grow frustrated with being tied to a calculator and give up anyway. So, for now, I'm sticking with the old points. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

SW-183 GW-143

161 - 03/23/12 -- 8 (22 lbs to date)

151 - 05/25/12 --10 (31 lbs to date)

I lost 65 pounds almost 12 years ago using the old program , and have maintained it all these years. I just feel more comfortable with it; therefore I didn't change to the Points Plus. I truly believe it's a matter of whatever works best for each of us.

Lifetimer since April 2001

195/135/150WW

DES2, Thanks for your comments about implementing lifestyle changes. I must admit, though, that when I stopped WW abruptly in 4/08 I didn't give any thought to lifestyle changes. I stopped because of a personal tragedy---the loss of a child. Immediately thereafter, I was virtually unable to eat (unusual for me, as I usually tend to react to stress/unhappiness by eating more). My weight plummeted until my body adjusted to the extremely restricted diet (lived on Ensure for about a month) and I slowly began eating again. During the years between 2008 and now, my weight has gone up and down. In the past six months, however, I've made a point of eating in a more balanced way (without counting calories, points, etc.) and quickly and easily fell back to my 4/08 weight. Now I'm ready to start working on the next 20 pounds.

Genoa, I'm so sorry for the loss of your child! Sounds like what you've been doing for the last six months is definitely the sort of "lifestyle changes" that WW is aiming for. I feel as you do about the electronic calculator (and also the cookbooks). I admire your ability to calculate the old points in your head - I always used my slider. As much as I love technology (and I DO love many aspects of it), there's something in me that really resents having to use an electronic device to figure points.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

I have given Points+ 3 attempts....NEVER AGAIN for me. I lost 50 pounds (and wasn't grumpy) on Flex/momentum (the programs BEFORE Points+ came out) and starting today I'm back on flex/momentum. I gained 45 pounds back of the 50 unfortunately due to stresses, moves and me thinking I can calorie count...Points just works much better for me and my system loves it. On the points+ I was extremely grumpy, always hungry and completely frustrated with everything I ate. With that all said though, I have a few friends that had and continue to have extreme success with Points+. It's just completely not for me.

I just started Point Plus yesterday, and I already hate it. I lost 40 pounds on Flex in 2007, and then I had some tragic situations and stopped following the plan, and now I weigh more than what I started with the last time :(

I liked Flex because, as someone mentioned upthread, it was easy to quickly calculate how many points something would be with nutritional info, or even just by knowing what the ingredients were. It was easy to calculate points on the fly so I could stick to plan when I went out to eat or to someone's house. Now I have no idea what's going on. It's too complicated, and it seems like Atkins lite. Carbohydrates seem to jack up the points value of everything, which makes the food choices extremely restrictive. I'm angry that I threw away my old stuff, and that I just spent $60 on a three month pass to the online tools program. I think I'm going to have to find a used copy of the old materials and go back to that plan. I'll try this one for a week and see what happens, but I'm not successful when I feel restricted like this new program makes me feel. I liked the old program because I felt free to eat anything I wanted as long as I planned appropriately and controlled portion size. On this plan, there are too many things that WW has decided to make it not worth it to eat ever.

g i n a

s w 171.5 ~ c w 171.5 ~ g w 110

WW has only made the plan healthier. Sure, before you could spend all your point on doughnuts if you wanted to (and you still can if you choose to) but I think now they are trying to steer you to healthier choices. It really is NOTHING like the Atkins diet. I hope you give it a chance before you just give up - good luck!

~Amy~

Quit Smoking: 10/1/12 ~ For the last time!!

OSUgirl, if you already hate PointsPlus and plan on only giving it one week, it's for sure you'll be back to Flex. You've already set it up that way. Not being mean, just saying.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Well, if I try it for a week and find that the points values are too restrictive for me to be able to eat anything that makes me feel satisfied, I think it's better to go back to Flex than to stick to a plan that makes me feel so restricted that I'll crash and burn in short order.

g i n a

s w 171.5 ~ c w 171.5 ~ g w 110

Hi! I lost well on the old program and I think points plus may be a little slower for me, but I love it! I am losing and I suppose slower is better. It is different, but great!

========================================

I have to say I resisted PP at first and went back to 1-2-3 Success! But I am fully on board PP and I love it! I am finally starting to get the weight off again. I wasn't losing it on 1-2-3 Success! this time around either.

PP is less forgiving but I am eating so much healthier. Good luck and do what you have to do.