Health Discovery Network
squash007

Weight Watchers e-tools

Hello everyone,

I have one question concerning the e-tools. With regards to the recipe builder it is my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) that I enter the ingredients and quantities and the builder will calculate the points value for that recipe. My question is as follows:

When the builder calculates the points does it show the points value per cup or half cup of the recipe, or does it show the points value for the whole thing.

I guess to summarize do I have to enter in how many servings or does it calculate it on its own?

Thanks.

When you create a recipe, YOU decide how many servings it has in it. At first, it tells you the points for the ENTIRE recipe, but then you can go and say that it serves 4 (or whatever). THEN when you go to track it, you can also say that you ate a portion of that serving (so, like 1/3 a serving). Make sense?

Also, just so you aren't shocked like most people are, recipe builder calculates EVERYTHING into a recipe. Meaning that fruits and veggies that don't normally have p+ will be calculated into it. This freaked me out when I put a homemade pasta sauce recipe in it with pure tomato sauce and tons of veggies, and some cheese and olive oil. I thought it was just going to be points for the cheese and olive oil and I got some astronomically high number. When you take away the veggies, it's more like what I expected.

From what i've heard, the recipe builder is meant for things like soups, casseroles and other things that can't easily be de-constructed into peices and count as a meal. Like, if i put in the infamous taco soup recipe, i'm not going to easily know how much of each bean and how much of the ground beef I actually got in my bowl, so that's when i use the builder. If i'm making like, a salad, I would just count each thing in the salad seperately and make it a meal....

It's my understanding that this is controversial in the WW world. I've had MY leader tell me to just leave out the veggies and fruits in recipes and "quick add" them as 0. I've had others (when i'm at a different meeting) that say to count the recipe as it is. I still have not got 100% clarification on this, so if anybody (leaders!?) can shed some insight i'd love it!

weight.png

Thanks Shelly for your response. The part I do not understand is what do you mean the fruits and veggies are counted into it? Aren;t the fruits and veggies zero points on the new points plus plan? If they are given points in the recipe what is the reason for adding points to it?

Here are a couple of things that might help (or not).

Recipe Builder

You should find the technique that works best for you. There are three ways to figure recipes (described on page 42 of the Getting Started book). If you feel that you have a tendency to abuse certain 0-PointsPlus™ value foods, you can use the nutritional information for all ingredients, sum them and input them into your PointsPlus™ calculator or Recipe Builder online. If you choose to exclude 0 pts foods, you can use your recipe builder, excluding 0 pt foods, or use Simple Recipe Math. As always, let your weight loss be your guide, and work the plan that works best for you.

"It has always been our policy at Weight Watchers to incorporate the nutrients of vegetables (and now fruit) into recipes. Why? A few reasons.

1) Vegetables and fruit add fiber and other nutrients, and without including them it can impact the Points value.

2) Our recipes are often featured in articles and magazines nationally and as a result we need to disclose this info to ensure the appropriate calories and nutrient content are displayed if evaluated by organizations outside of Weight Watchers.

3) Since many non-Weight Watchers recipes include nutritional information these days, we want our calculations to match those you may do for recipes you find in other places. We don’t want to unfairly advantage our own recipes.

4) Once you start combining vegetables and fruits with other foods, you change the experience of eating them. Few people “pig out” on carrots but might on carrot cake. To ignore them in recipes would place our member at risk for abuse potential.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Thanks Luanne for your reply, this makes sense now. Like you mentioned I will try it one way and monitor my weight loss.