Health Discovery Network
Shellybean920

How to make at home Latte without fancy equipment. And what to do with veggies?

So, I hate Dunkin coffee, it always tastes burnt and gross to me. One day while driving to work I was thinking "Lattes count as a milk serving. I've never tried one" and tried one. I'll never look back at coffee again! BUT my wallet doesn't like them! I want to learn how to make them at home, without any fancy shmancy equipment (or at least minimal equipment that costs under $30)

From the internets, i've read that you can heat up milk either in the microwave or on the stove top, then add instant ground coffee (triple the normal serving) into a small blender with the hot milk and blend it to get the same deal as a latte?? Is this true? Do you have any other suggestions??

And, on another note, I have all these veggies my dad gave me from his garden- Baby eggplant, red and green bell peppers, string beans and beets. Any ideas what I can do with the first three? Would you cook them all together with like, olive oil? Would you cook the peppers and eggplant together as a side dish and do the beans seperate? (i'm making a beet soup and then roasted beets with the beets I think)

weight.png

I just downloaded a recipe yesterday that has eggplant in it. I think the recipe was from the South Beach diet newsletter, but I don't remember for sure. I won't write the whole thing down, but I will tell you what they did with the eggplant: "Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Cut the eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Lightly coat a baking pan with olive oil. Place eggplant in the pan, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring once, until eggplant is light browned, about 25 minutes.

In this recipe, the eggplant was used in a whole-wheat penne dish (send me a PM if you want the whole recipe). You could cook the eggplant like this and use it in other dishes like a stir fry.

Peppers are great just raw, or sauteed in a stir fry. While I haven't tried it, I've been told that you can chop them up and freeze them for use later.

Green beans can be chopped, blanched, and frozen for later. They are also a staple in the WW Garden Vegetable Soup (I always lose weight the weeks I make a pot of this). I like to steam beans until tender, then I put them into the pot with a tbsp. or so of orange marmalade and toss in a few sliced almonds. Heat until the marmalade sort of melts, stir it together and eat as a main vegetable. I absolutely love beans done this way.

Hope that gives you a few ideas, Shelley. Sorry I don't have any advice on the latte. I'd love to know how to make them without fancy equipment, and like you, they are just too expensive to be a regular item in my day. I treat myself once every month or two. They are delicious--and count as a milk serving and stave off hunger.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Try this site "supercook.com". You give it the things you do have and it'll find recipes for you. I used to make iced lattes with a pot of my cold coffee and sf/ff condensed milk.

I bought the equipment to make lattes. It's gathering dust at the back of cabinet shelf. Here's what worked for me.

Start a double-strong batch of coffee. You only need about 3/4 of a cup coffee for each serving.

Meanwhile, microwave milk (1-1/4 cups) about 3 minutes.

Occasionally I will just grab a whisk using a vertical whipping motion; a blender works great to stir air into the milk,

Pour the coffee into the mug first, then pour the milk in --layering the foam on top. Add vanilla extract and sweetener to taste.

Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has passed.

Carol

I forgot something, I have the coco-motion machine and it makes great lattes. Its skim milk and 1 1/2t instant coffee and whirl away. I think I was able to add sweetner, and it would still be frothy.

I have to have one now :)

I'll wait until tomorrow