Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Worst Month

October is the hardest month, for me, to be a good Weight Watchers member. I don't get enough sleep - staying up late to watch baseball playoff games. My hay fever is terrible - making me want to eat more to keep my energy up. And, it getting darker out earlier, and it being the end of summer, just gets me down, in general. Also, as it gets cooler, I find myself craving more hot comfort food.

What's your worst month of the year and why?

Hey Superbowl - my worst month is August - probably for the similair (but not baseball) reasons. I have three children and by August they are staying up later and later and by the time I get them to bed (9:30pm-ish) and then clean up the house it is 10pm -then I want some time to myself and end up staying up late. Tend to miss workouts and eat more (we also tend to take our vacation in August). I made this realization this past September when I looked at my weight records. Every August for the past three years, the weight went up by 5 -6 lbs and I spend the fall trying to make up for it. Funny that you are bring this topic up since I had been thinking about it the past couple of weeks. Next year, I have to come up with a better strategy. What is your strategy for October?

BTW as far as baseball goes, I am a Philly girl so I will be up late watching the playoff game tomorrow night!! I think our city will be devastated if they lose given the season they have had....

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

Hey Quinny! My season ended last night in the Bronx. I was there, too, which made it more painful. Good luck with the Phils - their our fav NL team, since we see a lot of BlueClaws games.

My strat for October? Basically, I just keep working it. I keep reminding myself to make sure that I am eating because I am hungry and not because I am bored, stressed or tired. And, I try and find other ways to deal with those emotions - like doing push-ups or jumping jacks during the commerials of the playoff games to keep myself awake, work off the stress, etc.

And, I make sure that I really try to make good food choices - like a cup of grapes instead of a donut, an apple instead of an ice cream, etc.

It's funny. Before the game last night, my friend and I stopped at a deli. He has a weight issue - and he's the one who turned me on to WW back in 2006.

I got a grilled veggie sandwich and a water to bring into the park. He got a hero - not a roll or a wrap, but, a hero - with roast beef and turkey, a big bag of chips, a small bowl of shrimp salad, and a package of Twizzlers. When I saw the Twizzlers, I said to him "Dude! Really? Twizzlers? What are you, twelve?" (He's actually 52.)

During the game, he offered me a Twizzler, and I said to him, "I don't mean to make you feel bad, but, when I look at those Twizzlers, I don't see food. I see a handful of chemicals. I see some guy in a lab somewhere mixing a bunch of chemicals and thinking 'Ha, I'm going to get some fool to eat this man-made un-natural creation.'"

He laughed and thought I was nutty. And, maybe I am - but, I'd rather think like that, keep myself OP, and keep the weight off.

Mine is March, although this year it wasn't too bad but I had a plan!

First there's sometimes Easter, with the delicious Polish foods and all. And...I'm from the Bostonish area but now live in the Providenceish area, and so March brings St. patricks day things and the start to our warmer, spring weather (usually). I have always been a huge punk rock fan, and LOVE dropkick murphys/ flogging molly. They both (and sometimes the Pogues too) take advantage of the "Irish in Boston" thing and plan their tours so that they are in Boston or Providence right around st. patricks day. DBF and I have been going together to the Dropkicks for the 6 years we've been together and we make an entire weekend around drinking Irish things and seeing old friends. We get tickets to at LEAST one of their st. patricks day shows (they play 5 or 6 the week of the holiday every year), and then stay in or around town (with friends or our parents) until the st. patricks day parade.

It's a known fact that I tend to overeat at my parents house. It's something I struggle with a LOT, even though my dad is on WW. My mom is stick thin and survives off of a diet full of coke, Lays chips and drumstick ice cream cones. They are all in the house and are all some of my biggest weaknesses. I spend more time at home in March than any other month due to their closeness to Boston, and then there's sometimes Easter, which brings AMAZING Polish food which just is not points friendly at all......

It's also the start of our warmer weather usually, so before or after the shows we'll go out to bars or to outdoor markets that we haven't done since the fall, meaning more street meat, fried dough and stuff like that.

March stinks for me! But this year, to combat that, I trained for a 5k and ran THREE of them on 3 saturdays in a row in March. Totally worth it. It kept me sane mentally and gave me reasoning to not go get drunk on friday night ("I have to run a race in the morning....") I am doing that again this year.

weight.png

Well Superbowl as I am sure you know by now the Phils lost. (boo hiss) What a disappointment but I have to say it was a great game. Halladay and Carpenter were amazing with their pitching - did you watch the game?

As far as your "Worst Month" goes it seems you got it all figured out. As you have demonstrated, its all about figuring it out ahead of time what the challenges will be and sticking to the plan..consistently. I think I have mentioned before I am trying to lose my "all or nothing" approach. I have learned through the years it gets me nowhere and even behind. I like your story about the game and the difference in your food choices from your friends. Some people might approach it as "well its a playoff game - I am going to enjoy it, eat whatever I want and worry about my weight goals tomorrow". (I know I have done that in the past). So good for you and funny story about the chemist making the food!

Shellybean - what an excellent strategy with the 5k's!

As for me, August is done and over. The one good thing I did do this year was made the Uturn once I realized how I was letting go and went back to WW in September when the kids went back to school and I am NOT giving up this time!

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

Quinny, I can't believe they lost, 1-0, I'm still stunned!

ShellyBean - I've been OP since June of 2006. I've been lifetime since Jamuary 2007. And, I still struggle with eating at my parents house. That's where I was brought up not being considered with food choices, portion control, etc. And, my parents - and the food they prepared and offered were a big part of that. Slowing, I'm getting them there. Now, instead of having four different kinds of dessert to choose from, after dinner, there's one and cut fruit. And, now, with dinner, there's more veggies being offered and less fried stuff or stuff that's just empty carbs. But, even with that, it seems like I really have to watch what I am doing there.

Chemicals can be delicious! Okay, not funny!

I think December is the hardest month for me because it is the proverbial "season of eating". You can't walk five steps out of your home without seeing something delicious. My biggest strength, as in every other time of year, is not to let it in my house. I can plan for Christmas dinner but I will never be able to resist a plate of cookies on my counter. I also focus on making things I don't like so I'm not tempted.

October does get tough when the weather is colder and darker. I really don't look forward to changing the clocks.

On reflecting on the upcoming holidays, I can say that I've learned not to make each holiday a binge-weekend. It's just one day and I can do one day of splurging.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Agreed, December is a tricky month too - esp. if you have a big family and end up celebrating the same holiday, in different days, in different houses.

We do Xmas Eve at my house, Christmas Day at my parents, and then the day after Xmas at my in-laws. That's three big meals for basically the same holiday. It's hard to navigate through that and stay OP.

My month is December. So many Christmas gatherings and only so many points.

Steve~Now don't be dissin' my Twizzlers, I happen to like them.:bcb_grin

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

LOL. I like them too Trudie - that's why I used to eat them a pound at a time. Seriously, I would down the huge bag, by myself, in one sitting.

Haven't had one in the last 277 weeks, maybe longer. Because, I can't - I had to close them out. They were such a big part of why I got fat.

You know, I've read this thread a couple times and I start to respond and then I would erase what I wrote because it wasn't right. I have decided that every month is hard for me. Ha! How's that for ya? I really can find a very good reason to pig out on something I shouldn't in every month of the year. So I guess it probably is that way for many of you, too, or else you wouldn't be in this fight to lose and keep it off. I seem to do OK with being at a dinner and keeping my portion sizes reasonable but when it comes to snacking and picking, that's where I get into trouble. I do not understand people who can have a bowl of peanut M&Ms or a bowl of cashews out on their table at all times without emptying it hourly. That's what I'd do. So I guess during the holidays there's more of that around... plates of cookies, dishes of candies, bowls of nuts. Ugh. There is just so much temptation out there when it comes to unhealthy food and it is so hard. But, what I am slowly but surely learning is to take full advantage of the times when I'm strong and craving-free. During those times I stay faithfully OP and work out hard. Then those times when I'm weaker and I eat more than I intended aren't so bad. I don't let my weak self take over my life any more for days/weeks/months.

It is so nice to be learning from my mistakes instead of just making the same bad choices over and over and over. I know that those of you who have kept the weight off are doing just that: learning and growing and working hard at it.

p.s. Twizzlers are a serious weakness of mine, too. I find myself reaching for the bag at the store when they're on sale and I have to physically stop myself. Because I'll be the one eating the whole dang bag in record time.

Jen

HW - 175

WWGW - 140

PGW - 130

CW 9/1/13 - 142.2

LIFETIME on 8/31/11

RESTART 4/1/13

weight.png

I do not understand people who can have a bowl of peanut M&Ms or a bowl of cashews out on their table at all times without emptying it hourly.

Jen - LOL. I'm with you on that. I marvel at people in the office who take a large cookie, or brownie, or doughnut, or slice of cake at an office function and then have it sit on their desk, in front of them, all afternoon, without touching it. How do they do that!!!??? I could never do that, even today. If that's sitting in front of me, I cannot keep my hands - and then my mouth - off it.

It's still so bad that, today, if I am forced to accept something, I take it back to my desk and then throw it right in the trash. It's the only way I can prevent myself from eating it.

Twizzlers are a serious weakness of mine, too. I find myself reaching for the bag at the store when they're on sale and I have to physically stop myself. Because I'll be the one eating the whole dang bag in record time.

I tell this story at meetings - and it is true. Before WW, I never went into a store without getting something to eat. Could be the pharmacy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Staples, Target, Lowe's, the local Deli, you name it - even the Pet Store! - and I would always get some Twizzlers or Nibs (or something like that) at the register and then eat the whole bag, myself, in my car.

That was one rule that I made for myself after WW. Never eat in the car. The only thing I allow myself to eat in the car is raw carrots. Seriously. My theory: If I am not hungry enough to eat carrots in the car, then I'm not really hungry.

My theory: If I am not hungry enough to eat carrots in the car, then I'm not really hungry.

That could be a guideline for ALL moments of temptation! I like it:)

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Jen,

Although I agree that there is something tempting every month of the year there are some months that have more tempting things or bigger temptations that day to day ones for people. As stated earlier, March is mine due to st. patricks festivities and sometimes Easter, but I think December is hard as well because of the holiday parties and shopping all month. There are other months, like for instance June or August, that really don't have very many big temptations for me in addition to the day to day ones...

weight.png

On the flip side, the summer months are the easiest for me - lots more daylight, warmer weather, more chances to get outside and be active. And, when active, I'm not bored and going to food out of boredom. Also, there's all those APs earned.