Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Needs First 5K Advice

I'm running in my first 5K race in three weeks. It's a chip race. I think there's going to be around 300 people running. Any advice to share for a first-timer?

I have no advice as I have never run a 5k but have a great race!!

SW: 171 CW:155 GW: 130

Dress appropriately for the weather. It's ok to feel cool the first few minutes of the race. You don't want to be too warm while running. If you dress in layers, wear something you can easily toss off and make sure it's something old that you don't mind not seeing again.

I am just assuming it's an a.m. race. If you normally eat before your run, eat on race day too.

Run the race for you, and at your pace. Expect that your race pace will be faster then non race runs. There's just something about that gun going off, the crowd, and seeing that "FINISH" sign at the end.

When I ran my half marathons, I had a mantra..."this is my race and it's at my pace". I passed some runners and some passed me. I didn't worry about that, I'd just say to myself, this is my race and it's at my pace. Worked great for me.

Last bit of advice, enjoy the race, and post a little race report and picture here on BCB.:bcb_smile

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

If I were to do a race again, I would start further back in the pack. My pace is slow, and I underestimated how much slower I was than others....so they were probably annoyed trying to get around me.

Good luck!

~ Stacey

Trudie, Stacey - thanks.

I'm glad it's a chip race - so, I intend on staying at the back, at the start.

And, I think I should be fine with the weather/temp. I do all my running outside now. So, I know how I heat up and how much to wear.

The biggest thing for me, in this one, will be the route.

When I run my personal 5Ks, I always take the same route. So, I know where I am at all times, and how far I've gone and how far I have to go. That helps with my pacing.

I'm going to miss that in the race. (I guess I can work off my watch and estimate where I am?)

Also, this race starts in a park, on the grass and then hits the streets, and finishes back at the park. And, I've heard that the streets are hilly.

When I run on my own, it's mostly flat streets. So, the route may be a challenge for me and slow me down.

Based on how many have run this the last few years, I'm guessing that around 300 should be running. That seems like a big crowd to me - maybe it's not? And, that could be a challenge too.

Good luck to you on your race Super Bowl! I think Trudie and Stacey summed it all up. The only other thing I can mention is to be there early. THe last race that I went to we barely made it to the start line in time. Race kit pick up was from 9am-10am, and we got there at 9:15. The porta potty line up was SOOOO LONG it was incredible, so we spent most of our time in line there (cause I wasn't running til I went! hehe) I barely had my race number on in time. Which all of course worked up my nerves!

But, this is really the first time this has happened to me and it was rather poorly set up. But, I will not forget it. Lol

I would take my watch to gage where I am in the race. When you look down and see that you're in 10 minutes, you'll know where you usually are at home. If you have a garmin or something...even better.

Let us know how it went :)

Moe :salut

Moe - thanks!

I've reached out to some who have run this one in the past and they all warned me to get there early - and that parking is a nightmare because so many run this race and there's little parking near the start area. I plan on being there at least an hour before the start of the race - just to be safe. And, I am going to pick up the race kit the day before the run.

The race is the day after my (49th) birthday - and I am getting a garmin for my birthday. But, I doubt that I will figure out how to use it in time for the race. So, I will use my stop-watch/watch to help me figure out where I am, time-wise, and how far I need to go.

Hey Superbowl, hope you have a great race! Only other advice I'd give is to warm up and stretch, stretch, stretch because it's so cool outside. I ran in a race last weekend and there were a few pulled hamstring injuries because people didn't warm up beforehand. I just started running really in the spring and I've done 3 5K races and a 10K and they're so much fun! Something motivating about being out there with all those other people.

Jen

HW - 175

WWGW - 140

PGW - 130

CW 9/1/13 - 142.2

LIFETIME on 8/31/11

RESTART 4/1/13

weight.png

Everyone has given great advice. Have fun and don't worry about people passing you; people pass me all the time. However, there are a few that I do pass. Usually I zone in on one person and pace that person for most of the race; by the time I get to 3.0, I book it to the Finish Line. As I say, I'll get there when I get there."

:bcb_wink3

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

Thanks Liz.

Yeah, I'm prepared to have people pass me. But, I also expect to pass some others. I've looked at the race results for the last two years and see lots of times that I think I should be able to beat.

This will be interesting for me since I usually run my 3.1 miles on the street with only one spot where there is an incline. And, this race starts in the park, where I have been warned that it's choppy with a lot of tree roots, and then hits the streets where there is a hill that you go down, about half way through and then have to run back up it, and then back through the park. (The start and finish in this one is the same spot, in the park. And, when you hit the streets, around 1.5 miles in, you turnaround and head back to the park.) So, I expect my time in this to be slower than when I run on my own on the mostly flat street.

I'm just going to keep reminding myself that I've run over 35 5Ks on my own, and finished them all, every time. (Most times, in about 26 minutes.) So, if I just keep running in this one, I will finish it too.

Hey Superbowl, hope you have a great race! Only other advice I'd give is to warm up and stretch, stretch, stretch because it's so cool outside. I ran in a race last weekend and there were a few pulled hamstring injuries because people didn't warm up beforehand. I just started running really in the spring and I've done 3 5K races and a 10K and they're so much fun! Something motivating about being out there with all those other people.

Thanks Jen. I plan on doing my best to keep loose and warm before the race. I've had an IT band issue in the past. So, I'm pretty good with making sure that I stretch now before every run.

10K? I think about that all time. But, I've never run more than 5K in my entire life. (Keep in mind that I've only been running for the last 10 months.) How hard was it going from 5 to 10?

You know, the 10K is definitely harder but it really wasn't that bad at all. It wasn't difficult for me to transition because by the time I got my Nike Plus device which told me how far I was going, I was running 5 miles and I didn't even know it! So sometimes knowledge is a bad thing because then you psych yourself out. So once I knew I was running 5 miles I knew I could do another 1.2 miles to make it 10K. If you just start increasing your distance little by little, before you know it, you'll be there. That is what I did.. each time I'd just go another 5 or 10 minutes and pretty soon there I was. I started running consistently in May of this year so I haven't been at it very long either. I know you can do it - you just need push yourself a little further each time.

Jen

HW - 175

WWGW - 140

PGW - 130

CW 9/1/13 - 142.2

LIFETIME on 8/31/11

RESTART 4/1/13

weight.png

Thanks Jen. I know that so much of this is mental. I run a 5K all the time - and the same route, all the time. The one time I tried a different route, I broke down about two-thirds through, allowing myself to think I could not go any more. I think it was because I had no idea where I was, how far I went, and where the finish line was...so, I psyched myself out. And, I am worried about doing that on my race.

I'm going to try and add on to my running. I think the key will be reducing my speed. To get the 5K done in under 26 minutes, I'm gassed after the 3.1 miles. If I slow it down to 27 or 29 minutes, I know I would have more in the tank and could go some more. Thanks for the inspiration!

Today, I went to check out the course for this race - and it's all made up of hills!

The race starts in a park - where it's running through the woods, at a slight incline, until you hit the streets. Once on the road, you're running up and down these significant hills -until you turn-around, and run up and down them, again, to get back into the park (where the race finishes).

Oh, my, goodness - I must have been out of my mind when I signed on for this to be my first official 5K race.

When I run, it's mostly flat - except for one spot where there's an incline. But, it's nowhere near being a hill. And, my time on that 5K route is usually between 25.5 and 26.5 minutes.

There's no way I'm going to be able to come close to that on this race course. Heck, I might be lucky to finish in a half-hour? I really should have checked this out before I committed to doing it...

It will be ok, it might be slower pace than your usual run, but that just means that you'll have a faster time at your NEXT 5K! :) Can you do a few hills now, in the couple of weeks (I think there are a couple) before the race? Not a lot, you don't want to injure yourself. I live in a mostly flat area as well, so when I do something with hills I am not use to it either. Its a pretty flat place.

Moe :salut

You will be fine. The hills will slow everyone down a bit. One of the biggest mistakes runners make is starting out too fast. Knowing you have hills to deal with, taking off too fast will make the hills more difficult.

Trudie

It will be ok, it might be slower pace than your usual run, but that just means that you'll have a faster time at your NEXT 5K! :) Can you do a few hills now, in the couple of weeks (I think there are a couple) before the race? Not a lot, you don't want to injure yourself. I live in a mostly flat area as well, so when I do something with hills I am not use to it either. Its a pretty flat place.

LOL. I hear you Moe. After this one, it's all "downhill"! I might try and run it as a practice run before the actual race. But, I have to find a weekend to do it - and worry about the cars on that road. There's no sidewalks there and without the street being closed, it could be dicey.

I might try and run it as a practice run before the actual race.

That's what I did for my first 5K. I had to know that I could do it. It wasn't hilly, but there were inclines. Don't go for speed on your first 5K, go for finishing it and feeling good.:bcb_wink3

Trudie

The run was this morning!

Considering this was my first 5K race, and I didn't start running until January of this year, I did pretty good. My official "chip" time from start to finish was 26 minutes and 35 seconds. (Per my Forerunner, my average speed was 6.9 MPH and my top speed was 9.1 MPH.) Overall, I finished 86th out of 293 runners in the race. No idea how I did for my gender and age group (40-49). I'll get that when the results are on-line.

It was fun and a good experience. The weather was perfect.

The hills on the race were the challenge. The biggest one was right before the 2 mile mark. But, I just kept moving my feet and got over it. :-)

Here's me, albeit blurry, heading towards the finish line:

BCBMeFinishingRace.jpg