Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Question For Those Who Run Often & Who Run Races

What's your race of choice? 5K? 5 miles? 10K? 10 miles? Half-marathon? Something else?

Do you run that distance on your own often? If yes, how much "rest" do you allow yourself before a "race"?

I try and run a distance of 5K at least once a week. And, sometimes I do it twice a week. Sometimes I do it with 2 days in between where I don't run. But, most times, it's closer to 3 or 4 days in between my 5K runs.

I have my first 5K race on 11/27. Today is 11/14.

I plan on running a 5K, on my own, on 11/16 and 11/20. (And, I just ran one yesterday on 11/13.)

But, how soon before 11/27 - the day of my race - should I shut it down? Is it crazy to run a 5K on 11/24 and then run my 5K race on 11/27? Granted, I've done it two-days rest before. But, that was not before the challenge of running a race.

What do you do in these spots?

Hey all, sorry I haven't been around in quite a while, been doing quite well. Had a WW weigh-in last week at -40.2. Have now kept off the 40 lbs of excess baggage for 4 full years. My favorite distance is actually 1 mile. I'm an old trackie, but I do far more 5K's than anything and I'll range all the way up to 10 miles. I've done a few halfs but that was 25+ years ago.

I have run hundreds of races, been running for decades, so I would not hesitate to run a 5k every week if it pleased me and even two close together like that, however since you sound fairly new to running, doing two races that close together might be a bit ambitious.

The rule of thumb one uses is that it takes one day of recovery time for each mile raced because in a race you are giving it extra effort and will be more stressed than a normal everyday run of the same distance. Being 3 days apart, it might be OK, but you aren't really used to the strain of racing. If you do, and you certainly could get away with it, expect the second one to hurt a bit more and ache for a couple days longer afterward.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

The rule of thumb one uses is that it takes one day of recovery time for each mile raced because in a race you are giving it extra effort and will be more stressed than a normal everyday run of the same distance. Being 3 days apart, it might be OK, but you aren't really used to the strain of racing. If you do, and you certainly could get away with it, expect the second one to hurt a bit more and ache for a couple days longer afterward.

Jack - thanks! This is great to know. And, congrats on the maintaining milestone!

I have run a few races, not lots....but a few in just the past 2 or 3 years. 10K the most, 2 half-marathons and I don't think I have ever done a 5K. There don't seem to be many of those around here. Or, if there are, its a race where they offer a half-marathon, 10K and 5K and I usually do the 10.

I do a 10K run probably at least once a week (lately anyway) and if not a 10K, and I am very comfortable doing that distance. I have been running for 9 years though! I found the half-marathons quite a challenge, anything over 16K for me....is hard. I guess I just need more miles under my belt! :) I would like to do another one sometime, I have been doing some 14-16K runs in the past couple of months. Maybe this spring :)

I usually try to take at least the day before the race off (For sure) or often 2 days before.

Good luck, we'll be waiting to hear how it went!

Moe :salut

Thanks Moe!

I'm starting to think it makes sense for me not to run on 11/24 - even though that would be a great day to run and get some AP - and then be full strength for the race on 11/27.

I drove the race route yesterday - the road part. The race starts and ends in a park. But, the most of it is down a road and back. Just going one-way, and not turning back, I counted 5 hills - including one monster one, very steep and long. So, running the race, as it's there and back, means it will be 10 hills on the road route. This is going to be a super challenge for me.

I'm starting to pysche myself to realize that finishing is more important than my time.

My race distances are limited to 5K races. When I have a race to run, I don't run the day before the race. It's because I'm still recuperating from the day before and know that I can't do well in a race. That's my two cents' worth. :bcb_grin

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

Thanks Liz.

I'm a 5K person too. And, I can't see myself running the day before I have to run a 5K race. Makes no sense to run a race with legs that are recovering from a run.

Thursday morning Sara and I are running a Turkey Trot. I'll run today; not sure about tomorrow, but won't run Wednesday. Have to keep in shape for the big race! hahahahahha! I slay myself.:bcb_grin

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Thursday morning Sara and I are running a Turkey Trot.

Hubby and I are too! Thought I won't be running the whole thing I am sure...still working up to it. I'm doing a program that should have me ready for the 12/17 race though.

Hubby and I are too! Thought I won't be running the whole thing I am sure...still working up to it. I'm doing a program that should have me ready for the 12/17 race though.

You can do it! You might surprise yourself! I'm sure you will be ready.

Liz

The Dressage Queen