Health Discovery Network
SumoRunner

Hanging in here 4 years.

Hey, guess what I found. I was clearing out old emails when I found the one where I first subscribed to this forum on 9/24/07. I had lost about 40 lbs between April 07 and roughly that date. Here we are 4+ years later. I've bounced up and down a few lbs month to month but as of a couple weeks ago I was still at -40.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Except after the last two weeks I'm back up about 4lbs. I have to buckle down and not eat everything in sight. Luckily all the cookies and pies are gone now.

Well OK. I guess I didn't stray too far. After consuming a whole month's rations, I only gained 0.6 lbs over Xmas. Now to get back to the business at hand.

Started the year off right with a 3.5 mile race. I've done it 21 times now. This was my 400th race overall and the first time I ran it was in 82, 30 years ago today.

Happy anniversary - and what a great milestone! I hope I can say, 30 years from now, that I am still running! Of course, 30 years from now, I will be 79. So, the jury is still out on that one!

Happy anniversary - and what a great milestone! I hope I can say, 30 years from now, that I am still running! Of course, 30 years from now, I will be 79. So, the jury is still out on that one!

It's possible Superbowl! There was a wonderful BCB of mine that said she was going to run until she was 80.:bcb_smile

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

I know Trudie, it's a goal of mine. In my last 5K race, there was a 84-year old runner! Granted, they finished 617th out of 617 runners, but, they were running at 84! How great is that!?

What a great way to start the New Year, Jack. Wow! 400th race... what a milestone!

To get in on the conversation of getting to our 80s (only 20 1/2 years until I'm there), my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother both lived into their 80s and are role models for me. They are long gone, and like many young people, I didn't appreciate what I could learn from them when they were around. Here I am, entering into my 60th year, and I am finally starting to figure it out. They were both lean, and they were both active. They didn't run... few in that generation did, as they didn't see the purpose in it... but they pushed lawn mowers (not the power type), they planted massive gardens (with all the digging, hoeing, and bending that goes with gardening), they used hand saws, they walked everywhere (paternal grandparents never owned a car; my other Grandma didn't drive and Grandpa died early), they washed clothes by hand and hung them on a clothesline to dry, etc. My goal is to be as spry and fit as they were when they died (both at 86). Grandpa didn't retire, either, until he was 83. That generation has something to teach us. They were fit by default (just the way life was), but we can choose to be fit when we enter the winter of our lives... then the winter isn't so cold and bleak.

I'm choosing now to do things like choose a parking spot at the far end of the parking lot. I'm also choosing to spend less time on my computer and more time with my running shoes on. If I wait until the autumn leaves start falling on my grey head, it will likely be too late to enjoy the winter years.

You're an inspiration, Jack. I likely won't be able to brag about race #400, but you've spurred me on to trying my hand at running again. (I did a few 10K races about 35 years ago.) In fact, I think I'll go look at the 5K race schedules for upcoming local races.

Have a wonderful year!

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

35 years ago you were a rare bird indeed. I've checked old race results to write an article for a local running mag and women comprised only 10% of runners in the 70s. It steadily climbed to where the majority of entrants are women in all races except the marathon, but they're catching up there too. This is not true of the 50 and over set however. Men 60+ are roughly 4-5% of the field but they still far outnumber women 60+, so you should expect to be among the award winners in almost every race.

That's encouraging to know, Jack (i.e. that in the 60s age group, I wouldn't be competing against a whole field of women). That gives me more of an incentive to move ahead with the dream I have in my heart. I'm not telling anyone yet what that dream is, but I'll let my whole world know if I find out it is feasible and I might be able to make it. I need to get some x-rays of my knees done and chat with my doctor... I don't want to be foolish about this:)

weight.png

Your running peers will appreciate that you're in the winner's circle but family is another issue. When I have gotten a trophy or ribbon, I take a lot of abuse from my kids. Being 2nd of 2 or 3rd of 3 doesn't seem to impress them except when I bring home a prize like a peach pie or something.

TrophyPie.jpg

Great picture Jack. You look fantastic!:bcb_up

Linda~Oh my goodness. If you have a dream in your heart, I hope it becomes a reality!:bcb_smile

Keep us posted.

Trudie

:bcb_wink3I second Trudie's comment-- you do look great, Jack! BTW, I visited your artwork... you're quite the artist... I love your style.

Trudie, I will definitely keep you posted. This is where I will first share my dream, if I get the okay to pursue it:exercise2.

weight.png

Trudie, I will definitely keep you posted. This is where I will first share my dream, if I get the okay to pursue it:exercise2.

Just a reminder, a Dr. will often tell you you can't or shouldn't, a sports medicine Dr. will help you so you can. Bottom line, we often know our bodies pretty well. I am sure you and your Dr. will figure out whats best for you.:bcb_wink3

Trudie