Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

How Do I Run Faster?

I’ve only been able to run a distance of 5K or greater for about 10 months now. So, I don’t have a long running history. But, I still expect myself to get better as time goes on. And, I am not sure if that is happening?

Today, I looked at my “runs” over the last 7 weeks. Below is the pace for each in terms of minutes and seconds per mile and then running MPH. (The last row is an average of the 12 runs.)

Last7runs.jpg

As you can see, I am usually around a pace of 8:26 and 7.1 MPH.

I would love to see that pace be around 8 minutes per mile and 8 MPH. But, how does that happen? Just keep running until I get better?

Ok, I am not the pro, but have read tons of information on running. Run further distances and build endurance and your short distances will improve. Do you do fartleks, hills, etc in your training? You need to do that too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Ok, I am not the pro, but have read tons of information on running. Run further distances and build endurance and your short distances will improve. Do you do fartleks, hills, etc in your training? You need to do that too.

Trudie - thanks. I am starting to run further. It's been a slow battle.

I've read about fartleks too. But, I don't get it. If I could run faster, to do the intervals, I would be running faster on my runs, period. It just seems like, after the first half-mile or so, I just have that one gear and can't get it going any faster.

I am definitely NOT the pro, here, but I vaguely remember when I did run (ancient history, now) I felt like I had a natural "body rhythm" that I would settle into. That's certainly the case when I walk--my mind drifts away, and the fast pace I set for myself settles down to my body rhythm unless I notice it and force myself to pick up the pace again. Would it help to listen to faster music?

I like CW's suggestion--sure to work.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

If you want to run fast, run fast. There's no magic, just crank up the pace every now and then. Once a week is enough, twice is better. You can throw intervals into any workout. Unstructured intervals is called fartlek (Norwegian for speed play). That means at any time during a normal training run, break into race pace or faster for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, then back off and recover. Do it several times. Or you can do structured intervals on a track, 1 lap easy, 1 lap hard, repeat. The lap is 400 meters. 800 meters is about 1/2 mile and 4 laps is 1600m, 30 feet short of 1 mile. Or you can do tempo runs where you run 2 miles or more at faster than normal pace.

(FYI, I was a USA T&F certified coach once upon a time.)

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Linda, Jack - thanks!

That may be the problem - that I have what is now become my normal pace and I just need to push myself, even if it's just for three 30 seconds internals, to run faster. I'm going to give it a try on my next run.

It takes about 6 weeks to see any real difference and after 12 weeks of once a week intervals you'll be amazed what you can do.

Thanks Jack. Good to know - because I would be impatient and expect to see something in two weeks or less!

Now, I know, try it and hope to see some improvement around the end of February and maybe more come early April.

Have someone chase you?

(I couldn't resist.....)

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

SW:231 (12/30/11) CW:223.5 (-7.5 lbs) First goal: 5% (219.5)

Have someone chase you?

(I couldn't resist.....)

LOL Kris - there could be something to that! Row 4 of the chart I posted was my fastest time. And, that one came in a race - where I was chasing and being chased at the same time!

Start at the top of a hill.......

:bcb_bigsm

CW

That's my answer, too. I am very slow and the only time I seem to get speed is downhill!

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

Find a cute girl to chase!

Seriously though, listen to Jack.

/Hanna

HW/Restart 2017-09-18/CW/GW

250/192/194/157

Reminds me of a race I was in many years ago. At the start I'm running alongside a friend and because of the crowd he's running up on the curb. Just ahead there's a young blond girl in snug fitting tights. He turns his head & says, Hey Jack, check out those tights -- BWANG!!! -- he ran right into a road sign.

How to run faster? Answer: Run outside when there are gusts of wind. If the gusts are behind you, you will make great time. However, going into the wind is not quite the same. That happened to me today; ran outside today; 62 degrees; Into the wind, not so great; with the wind behind me, wonderful!

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

I hear you Liz! The last two times a ran, it was very windy. And, the wind was pushing back at me, at times. Now I know why those guys who train run with parachutes around their belts. It does slow you down and make it harder.