Health Discovery Network
Genoa

I Miss Mindlessly Eating ...

I don't mean I want to sit on the sofa watching TV with a full bag of chips and a container of ice cream.

I've just come back to WW after a four years' hiatus, and I'm adjusting to accounting for every bite that enters my mouth (in writing). I know from past experience it will get easier the longer I stick to it, and I'm even beginning to find it a bit less troublesome now, as I am coming up with a repertoire of meals/snacks for which I know or can easily determine the points value.

I think my difficulty has to do with the concept of making this a natural part of my lifestyle, not just a "diet" I follow for a while. I keep hoping that I will learn new eating habits and internalize what/how much I can eat each day so that I will be able to maintain without having to continue to record every bite for the rest of my life. Yet, when I read posts here, it sounds like that is probably not realistic.

So for now I'm not worrying about lifetime---just establishing better habits and losing weight for now. I have determined that I want to make sure that the food choices I make now are choices I can live with indefinitely. For example, rather than low-calorie bread, I choose to make a sandwich with just one slice of Dave's Killer bread, which I love. I don't feel deprived at all, and I would be willing to make a sandwich with one slice of bread indefinitely.

SW-183 GW-143

161 - 03/23/12 -- 8 (22 lbs to date)

151 - 05/25/12 --10 (31 lbs to date)

Genoa - think of it as picking your "hard." It's hard, at times, to be OP and make good choices, use portion control, and track your food. But, it's also very hard to live life carrying around extra pounds. It has to be one or the other. And, you need to pick which "hard" is the one that you are willing to live with, etc.

Good luck. I think you know the right answer. Now it's just a matter of accepting one hard to make sure the other is gone.

Yeah, I know you're right about choosing the "hard" task of counting points over carrying around the extra weight. I've needed to lose 40 pounds for some time, and four years ago I lost 16 of that before getting derailed. Even though I bounced up and down on the scale, I seemed to level out at the same point I was four years ago after following WW for a while---even though not counting points. Now I'm ready to lose the second half + (22 to go) of the 40 I originally had to lose. I suspect it will be a more difficult task than the first half---especially since I just turned 60. (Ouch! It hurts to even say that. How did that happen?)

During the four years off the plan I didn't weigh myself often, so I'm not certain just how much I fluctuated---but enough that my jeans would feel tighter than at other times. This time around, I want to achieve my goal and then monitor my nutrition and weight more carefully. If that means counting points, then so be it. But if there is any way to do that without counting points (like "normal" people), I'll welcome that, too.

I'm probably premature worrying about how to handle maintenance. I still have to make sure I stay OP and lose another 22 pounds!

SW-183 GW-143

The trick to maintenance is viewing "making lifetime" as a starting line and not a finish line. Making lifetime doesn't mean you are done. You have to stay OP and keep doing the things that got you there. It's the starting line for the rest of your life.

I've been attending WW meetings since June of 2006. I've seen more "lifetime" members than I can count over those years who all said the same thing: "I made lifetime, got cocky, stopped going to meetings, stopped tracking, and I put the weight back on."

Want to keep the weight off? Simple: Stay OP. Keep tracking. Keep weighing in on a regular basis and be accountable. Here's some other tips on keeping the weight off: http://betterhealthjournal.com/?p=2650

I keep hoping that I will learn new eating habits and internalize what/how much I can eat each day so that I will be able to maintain without having to continue to record every bite for the rest of my life. Yet, when I read posts here, it sounds like that is probably not realistic.

So for now I'm not worrying about lifetime---just establishing better habits and losing weight for now. I have determined that I want to make sure that the food choices I make now are choices I can live with indefinitely. For example, rather than low-calorie bread, I choose to make a sandwich with just one slice of Dave's Killer bread, which I love. I don't feel deprived at all, and I would be willing to make a sandwich with one slice of bread indefinitely.

I bet you're going to make it Genoa - you have the right attitude! It is all about making a lifestyle change - getting to a new normal. Like Super Bowl XLI said, after you reach goal, to maintain, you do basically have to keep doing what you did to lose the weight. I REALLY REALLY like what you said about making sure that the food choices you make now are choices you can live with indefinitely!

If you want to do less point-counting, you might consider trying the Core program (but you do need to be really sure to guard against eating too much - if portion control is a problem).

Don't worry about the age thing, it's just a number!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

I really appreciate hearing from you who have not only reached your goal but maintained successfully. It may well be that I will have to continue counting points every day---in fact, it sounds like it is quite likely. By then the constant recording may not be as onerous as I think it would, since it will be a well established habit and I will know or have quick access to the point values of my most often eaten foods. Right now I'm still in the process of compiling that information. One thing I know for sure, from the past four years, is that I have to weigh myself regularly---at least twice a week---as 5-6 pounds can creep up very quickly. If I see movement in the wrong direction, then, of course, I will immediately resume/continue counting every bite. I'm pretty compulsive about recordkeeping, so when I say "every bite" I mean every bite!

SW-183 GW-143

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I have never formally joined WW, either online or in person. I have a multiply handicapped child who requires 24/7 care/supervision, and I work out of my home so that I can be here for my child. So attending meetings isn't an option for me. I first started WW in 2008 on whatever the plan was called at that time---can anyone remind me? I got all the information online, read as much as I could, and even bought a few materials, including the calculator----although I really don't need the calculator, as the equation is so simple.

I also track my food intake online. Interestingly, I keep a written journal each day of everything I eat, figuring points for each meal/item I eat through the day. At the end of the day, I enter the information in my online tracker, and figuring the total points for the day from the tracker are almost always exactly the same as the totals I've figured for the day. If there is a difference, it's no more than 1 to 1-1/2 point, but that is rare. It makes me feel good to check the points two different ways to make sure I'm recording them accurately.

The information here is so helpful. I even read older posts, which provide information and encouragement.

SW-183 GW-143

I think my difficulty has to do with the concept of making this a natural part of my lifestyle, not just a "diet" I follow for a while. I keep hoping that I will learn new eating habits and internalize what/how much I can eat each day so that I will be able to maintain without having to continue to record every bite for the rest of my life. Yet, when I read posts here, it sounds like that is probably not realistic.

Hello Genoa~

You have already gotten lots of good information from other BCB. It sounds like your head is in the right place to be successful with your weight loss.

You will learn new eating habits, and...over time, it will just become who you are. You will move from feeling like it's a diet, to it becoming who you are and how you choose to eat. Yes, you will fall from time to time, there's going to be bumps in the road. That's reality. But you will have the desire to get right back OP and continue on with, what will be, your normal lifestyle.

As Super Bowl said, you have to pick your "hard". Being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard. Daily I choose my hard.

Superbowl also said it well about Lifetime. Lifetime/maintenance is the same as losing, just a few more points.

Counting points is just a part of me now. It's normal for me and takes essentially no effort. We obviously have a problem with overeating, that's why we are here. It's too easy to slowly let weight creep back on. I will need to count points for the rest of my life, but if that's what keeps me at my goal, it's sooooo worth it. I will admit, I do my counting in my head, and that's working well for me. If I get a little sloppy, from time to time, I get back to the bascs and journal again.

You are wise not to worry about lifetime right now. Just working on establishing those better habits for yourself. Believe in yourself and know that you are worth the effort!

Good luck on your weight loss journey.:bcb_smile

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

One thing I know for sure, from the past four years, is that I have to weigh myself regularly---at least twice a week---as 5-6 pounds can creep up very quickly. If I see movement in the wrong direction, then, of course, I will immediately resume/continue counting every bite. I'm pretty compulsive about recordkeeping, so when I say "every bite" I mean every bite!

Officially, WW only has you weigh once a week - preferably at around the same time. Probably better now that you're following the program, to just do it that way. If you're on program, you don't need to "resume" counting - because you already are. Even if you stick to the program scrupulously, there will be weeks when you won't lose. It's the long-term trend that's important. I was told in maintenance mode, to weigh more often (I think it was ~every 3 days), because then, you DO adjust what you are eating in order to learn what is the appropriate level you need in order to maintain. For the heck of it, I weighed myself morning and evening. It was very interesting to me that my average weight loss overnight was ~3 lbs.! And that almost has to be from water loss (from potty trips, respiration, and sweat...).

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

Trudie, Thanks, I hope you're right. I certainly intend to remain focused. I see what you mean about, after doing it so long, counting and recording is just a part of life. Perhaps that's how it will be for me---as natural as making a grocery list each week.

DES2, I think I didn't express myself very clearly. When I mentioned weighing more often and adjusting/going back to keeping track of points, I was just thinking out loud about how maintenance MIGHT be for me---I wasn't talking about now. I am keeping OP and recording everything now and, while I do step on the scales more than once a week, I only record once a week.

I can honestly say that recording food is getting easier each day, as I get back in the habit.

I did want to ask you guys what you think of the Wendie plan? I think I "accidentally" did my own version of the Wendie plan back in 2008, as I never used my WPA M-F, but I would allow myself to use them (usually some, not all) on the weekends. We meet with some of our extended family every weekend for dinner at a restaurant. It's a good way to keep in touch with our busy schedules. The choice of restaurant rotates each week, so I usually don't know until that day where we're going. So I like to be equipped with enough points to cover a dinner (or often half of the dinner) that is higher in points or, sometimes, a moderate-to-low point dinner and then part of a dessert.

Somehow, I have had difficulty using the WPA any other way. It feels like I'm cheating to add them during the week. Lately, I haven't been going out to dinner and adding all those WPAs, because I've been quite sick. I have also noticed, now that I'm using online tracking that counts calories in the NI, that keeping on plan for 19 points a day I'm eating well under 1,000 calories. One day it would have only been 800 if I hadn't added two cups of nonfat milk at the last minute. I don't believe it's healthy to regularly consume so few calories, yet I can't seem to let go of the need to stay OP by only using my assigned points for each day---and I'm satisfied with that. I guess I do well with the structure. I looked up information on the Wendie plan, and I'm wondering if that might actually be a good idea for me so that I'm not routinely falling under 1,000 calories? I would structure it so that my highest point day would fall on the weekend when we go out to dinner, which would provide plenty of points for me to work with. What do you think?

SW-183 GW-143

I know its hard for me to get rid of "diet think" meaning, the fewer points I use the better. It really doesn't help, though, because if you lose weight eating say, 20 points per day, once you go back to normal eating you will gain it right back. I think your idea about using your WPA at restaurants is a good one. It's important to incorporate the program into your lifestyle, and if that is how you live, that is how you need to work the program. Lillie

My thoughts on the Wendie Plan is that is it much too structured. It defines exactly how many points you are to have each day. What if I'm not all that hungry and don't want to eat all the points on the "high" day? Or if I need more food on the "low" day? To me it seems more like a diet. I found I did well just varying the number of points I used each day, but not worrying that I was hitting an exact number.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Lillie, Yes, at first I was falling into the trap of using too few points. I just used my daily points and rarely, if ever, used any of the weekly allowance.Then I started tracking my food online and saw how few calories I was consuming. I knew that couldn't be healthy over time, nor would it be sustainable. That's when I started thinking about how to vary my food intake points/calories.

Luanne, After some time trying out the Wendy plan (or my variation of it), I came to the same conclusion you did. I found that I was often "trading" the points I had one day for another day, mostly because there was something coming up on my schedule where I would probably want/need to spend a few more points than the day I had originally planned to be a higher day. Now I just look at the week as a whole and keep it balanced, with some lower (but not too low) days and some higher (but not too high) days. Now that I'm within 9 pounds of goal weight it's coming off more slowly but I still see some downward trends over time. I suspect I'm going to want to go ahead and lose another 10 pounds when I hit my goal weight, but I'll wait and see how the next 9 pounds go first.

SW-183 GW-143