Health Discovery Network
cheryl39

were you always big?

Its a title I saw and it made me think. I was a big baby shy 10#, a big toodler, child, preteen. Only got slim with the aid of a dr.Dr and pills. Am i destined to be a larger size?

Were you always big? were you always reminded?

I started off on the small size and was probably pretty average growing up. I always thought I was fat in high school, but looking back I weighed around 135 pounds at 5'7", so I wasn't fat at all. My real weight issues started when I went away to college. At home we ate portioned controlled meals, and there weren't a lot of snacks and sweets around. When I was suddenly confronted with basically "all you can eat" and a lot of starches and desserts, I went nuts.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

No, although at ~14 my doctor had a talk with me, telling me that I probably would have a tendency to be heavy and then he told me what to avoid. It boggled my mind then (just not mature enough to get the connection between what I put in my mouth and the fact that it might have bodily consequences). The one I remember was fruit syrup (like what canned fruits are often packaged in). Like Luanne, I look at pictures of me (through age 29), and I really was not fat. My problems began when we moved out into the country, and if I wanted pie, I'd have to bake one, and with only two of us here, I ate too much of it! It didn't help that I got very little exercise. When I started WW, and started to learn both about normal portion sizes, and about what you have to limit if you want to lose, I think I got a pretty clear picture of why I'd gained. My mom, however "was always big" - or at least she thought so. She wasn't huge, but probably heavier then the "ideal", and I think psychologically, always thinking that hurt her.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

I'm 5'5". My lightest was 145. I was built. Back then it was never cool to get rides from mom. I walked alot (or thumbed) again back in 1975, different times. Girls would split McD fries and cheeseburger so as to sit inside. Never really ate out. I struggle to hit my goal 155. I got there 2x.

It just makes me wonder.

I worry too the older I get

I'm not a fan of this sort of question. I am loath to doom myself by saying Yes I was always big and great effort got me thinner both times I lost weight.

The truth is, this is the first time I've lost weight with the effort WW requires. I followed CORE to the letter and I exercised every single day. I still do. My reward is being slim and looking and feeling better than I ever did in my life.

I look at me now and realize this was the ME that was inside of those size 32 jeans all the time. So no I have not always been big. The real me is quite trim with much smaller bones than I ever thought I had.

I always said "well I'm a big girl anyway" but that turns out to not be the truth. I am tallish but not TALL and my bones are quite small.

Woulda thunk it? People that knew me when look at me and have no idea who I am.

So no I've not always been big I've been waiting inside a big body like in War of the Worlds! LOL!

I was not always big--mostly because growing up in the 50s kids played outside all the time. We didn't have fast food and T.V. was just coming in. In my teens I was a synchronized swimmer, so I stayed slim by sheer exercise. I did notice though, the first time I understood what it meant to be "big boned." I went to shake a bride's hand at a friends wedding, and for a moment I felt like I could crush the frail bones. I will never be "tiny." I got big in the later years, probably because of a metabolism slowing down but also I continued to eat the way I did when I was very active. Now, I'm determined that I want to be healthy into the olden years (no, I didn't leave the "g" off that word).

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

Very interesting discussion. I was thin until I hit my teens, but even then, did not get heavy until I was a gramma and got a cushy desk job rather than being on my feet all the time. Even though I look too heavy, doctor was adament this is where I need to be, so after about 6 years of ww, good thing I am happy right at this weight? lol

Esther

Just do what you know to do!