Health Discovery Network
iryn

hiking points?

Nobody seems to have an answer for me in the exercise forum so I thought I would try reposting my conundrum here:

I've been having trouble figuring out my hiking activity points. My hikes typically are quite steady with quite a bit of up and down, we definitely work up some sweat in the first 10 minutes or so but can still talk. Well, not on the inclines. I bought the ww pedometer and it tells me for the distance and steps I took I earned 4 activity points after a 2 hour hike. If I go by the chart, it is a moderate exercise for about 2 hours and it's 9 points. Which one do I go by?

SW: 225, GW: 145 achieved in 2011!!, CW: 184 (restarting)

That's a great question -- I have often wondered about the points I earn on a hike. Yesterday, I did a 7 hour hike, and even at the "low" level, it would come out to 21 points. I know intuitively that is too much. Personally, I choose to underestimate the AP on my hikes just to be on the safe side. I figure that although I was hiking for 7 hours, in many ways it was replacing other normal activity I would have been doing but not counting as AP (e.g. I wasn't doing dishes, or cooking, or shopping, or anything else I would normally do). If it were me, I would go with the 4 AP -- but remember, I don't really know!

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png