Health Discovery Network
Super Bowl XLI

Calling All BCB's Who Run Or Used To Run

How are you doing? Still running? What distance? How often? Dealing with any challenges? Have any recent achievements?

Well, I'm down from a run to a jog to a walk :)

:wave: ~*~ Amy

Hey there :)

I'm still running. Just got back from a windy 8K. I am running probably 4 to 5 times a week, from anywhere from 5k-12K. Last weekend I was in a relay race that went from Halifax to Lunenburg. 110Km with teams of 10 runners. My leg was 12.6K.

How are you doing with your running?

Moe :salut

Doing what I can; motivation is waning with broken wrist that I got when I fell off my daughter's horse on September 15. I did start running again last week with cast, a pink cast. Great colors to choose from these days. I got a waterproof cast so I can wash it in the shower and not worry about it being wet. Getting a brace put on this Friday.

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Bella%2Band%2BI%2BIntro%2BA.jpg

Thanks. Going out for a run today! Saturday I am running a Doggie 5K to support a local dog shelter! Was going to run with one of my daughter's dogs (Daisy), but she is afraid Daisy might pull me down because she is so strong when other dogs re around. I'll run with her and Jack (her other dog) until they leave me in their dust!:bcb_LOL:

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Survived the Doggie 5K and ran with Jack; Sara ran with Daisy after all. Great time, although we could not control when dogs neeeded a drink and/or bathroom break! Longest 5K EVER! But lots of FUN!

Liz

The Dressage Queen

Sara and I have signed up for our favorite Thanksgiving Day 5K already! Nothing like a good run before eating turkey and all the trimmings. :bcb_grin

Liz

The Dressage Queen

I am a runner and still running, although not as fast as I have in the past. Funny how as you get older your goals and perspective changes. Used to be I didn't think it was worth changing into running gear for less than a 7 miler. Now I am happy if I get out there for 30 or 40 minutes before work in the mornings. I am still doing long runs of around 2 hours on the weekends, so am keeping a pretty good base.

I just completed my 20th marathon Sept. 30 of this year. It was the 1st (of many I hope) Surrey International World Music Marathon. For a first marathon for this city, they did a great job. I am planning on doing it again next year. I will be 60 in July of 2013 and want to get another one under my belt in my 60th year.

Happy running to all you runners out there!

Ann

SW: 158.6 Dec 2010

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Thanks, but if you saw my time for the last one, well, not so impressive. I am happy that I can still get out there and put in those miles though.

Ann

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

The funny thing is, I find it easier to do the long slower distances than I do to run fast. Give me a 4 hour run in the trails any day over a 10K on the roads and I am one happy camper.

Ann

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Way to go and way to go on not winning the pie. LOL

Ann

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

Holy schnikey, 20 marathons Ann. I can't even imagine. That's so cool. I was going to try to attempt just one. I wanted to be a part of the 2%. Not sure it's going to happen. I have ran 2 had marathons and LOVED it. Have never ran further then 14 miles...

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Well, it's taken me since 1988 to do them Trudie. I am planning on doing one in Sept. of 2013. I turn 60 in July so want to celebrate my 60th year in a big way. Of course, all the 60 year olds that are kicking my b*u*t*t ( had to do it that way to beat the BCB censors, LOL) now will be kicking it then too. LOL

Oh and this last one that I did, a fellow was running it who was doing his 80th marathon. The mind boggles.

Ann

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018

I think that's an amazing thing to do on your 60th. I did by half to celebrate my 50th. How long to you train for a full marathon?

Wow, 80 marathons. I still struggle with believing that marathons are healthy. It is a looong ways to run. I still may do just one.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie, I have never trained more than 4 days a week of running. I have gotten good times that way, but have made the miles really count. Now, I keep a good base of about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour long run once a week, so I can be race ready in about 3 months. I do almost all of my training on trails, so that helps keep me injury free, except for the odd time when I've had to get stitched up from doing a face plant. LOL

If I were training for my first marathon, I'd make sure I had a good base and was comfortable running at least 90 minutes at a time, then slowly creep the time up with some planned rest easy weeks. When I got back into more serious running after not doing a marathon in several years, I took about 6 months to train. I no longer do the speed work or hard runs that I used to. I don't have the desire to go out there and kill myself on the trails any more. I am just putting in the miles and having fun!

Ann

G.W. 137

C.W. 125, Dec. 7, 2018