Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
jlrose

Low-Point Gingerbread?

Anyone have any low-point gingerbread recipes? (Not the cookies). I was thinking of using pumpkin to make them which would hopefully make them moist and high-fiber. Any ideas?

Jessica (in Seattle)

5'6"

HW: 204.4

CW: 165.6

WWG: 148

PG: 135

Getting back to goal

Gingerbread with Orange Glaze

(from 24 Hour Fitness)

8 servings; 3.09 points per serving

(You could make this without the orange glaze)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup molasses

1/4 cup hot water

2 tablespoons packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons shortening

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 egg white

Reduced fat whipped topping

Orange Glaze:

3 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 cup water

1 tablespoon orange peel, finely shredded

1 tablespoon orange juice

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches) with nonstick cooking spray. Beat all ingredients except whipped topping and Orange Sauce ingredients in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Beat on medium another 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Slice into 8 pieces and serve either warm or cold with whipped cream and Orange Glaze.

Orange Glaze:

Mix sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Gradually stir in water and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute and remove from heat. Stir in orange peel and orange juice, serve warm or cool.

Makes 8 Servings

Serving Size: 1 slice

Nutrients per serving:

Calories: 152

Total fat: 3 grams

Saturated fat: 1 gram

Cholesterol: 0 mg

Sodium: 126 mg

Carbohydrate: 29 grams

Protein: 2 grams

Dietary fiber: 1 gram

Get set with the right mind set.

I don't have a recipe but I wonder if you could simply take a gingerbread box mix, Mix in a can of pumpkin and 1/2 cup water just like the cake or muffin recipes that are popular with pumpkin? Might be worth a try.

Debra

Highest weight 286

If I can dream it, I can be it...

:bike:

Also, you could try mixing a box of spice cake mix (add a tsp of ginger to the mix) 1 can of pumpkin and 1/2 cup water; spread in sprayed 13X9 pan, and bake according to box. Cut into 24 squares for 2 points each

thumbup.gif

It is moister and denser than traditional gingerbread, but we love it! (Even DH, who hates all things "diet", requests this for dessert, served with applesauce or cool whip)

Thanks for the recipes and advice. I'd prefer to make one from scratch if possible. I think I'll try it soon.

Jessica (in Seattle)

5'6"

HW: 204.4

CW: 165.6

WWG: 148

PG: 135

Getting back to goal