Health Discovery Network
mirruth

►►INTRODUCTIONS◄◄ Use This Thread to Introduce Yourself

From one homebody to another welcome! I don't understand the extroverted of the world - why have a home if you don't stay there and enjoy it. I used to beat myself up about not being more outgoing, but now I'm just enjoying who I am.

Hi Lillie,

I love that Im not the only home body here. I will tease and tell people I am a hermit. DH and I really do like being at home. Its warm, its comfortable, I have everything I need right here. DH does like to eat out and that is something I have to work around and plan for when needed but I find ways to fit it in my points. For the most part we avoid what we laughingly call the "Pooblic" aka the general public. I realize that I can not completely avoid it but I do not know that I ever will be completely comfortable either.I go to school events with the kids, they are middle school age and I actually went to a football game, bleachers are not for bad backs, but I did it for them. I do not socialize a lot with the other Moms, tThe fact is I am very real. What you see is what you get and as I get older I am incapable of small talk or the general BS you usually find. My true friends and family know me and love me for the Snarky Wench that I am :) and I am always happy to yak their ears off with every oddball thought that pops in my head.

"Perhaps it's that no one can take your mojo. You can look around all you want, but what you're really trying to find is on the inside."- Austin Powers

-Weitchen :bcb_bigsm

Hi CW,

I am glad to be here. WE love IN. We have only been here a year for DH's job but I really just love the spirit and comfort of Fort Wayne. I could easily live my whole life here and be happy BUT we will be in IL soon however due to DH's job. My one comfort is knowing WW is world wide and I will find comfort there even if I do not know anyone else... but for today I will not stress the small stuff ( and its all small stuff - well except for maybe my hips but they are certainly getting there lol) Here's to Happy Hoosiers!

"Perhaps it's that no one can take your mojo. You can look around all you want, but what you're really trying to find is on the inside."- Austin Powers

Illinois isn't too bad of a place. It is different than Indiana - I'm always amazed at the change of scenery that happens quickly as soon as you as we cross the border. Indiana seems to have more of those rolling hills and wooded areas that are so pretty this time of year. The secret of Illinois is that if you are moving to Chicago, Chicago is the only place that exists in the state. If you are moving downstate, all of the evils of the world originate in Chicago (tongue in cheek from a downstate girl who loves Chicago!)

Thanks Lillie for the positive reply. We will be going to the NW subs of Chicago ( Naperville area ) when we do have to go. We are digging our heals in till the last moment for several logistical reasons combined with he fact that "I just don't wanna" lol We would love to get at least one more school year in FW but I am not holding my breath. Our future is at the mercy of his job atm. I do look forward to some Chicago shopping for a newer thinner me at least once or twice and having visited before I want to take my kids to the aquarium and Tower. So I am sure with positive thinking we will land on our feet and everything will happen as it is meant to. Maybe I should be looking at this in a different perspective - Think of the calories I can burn packing and lugging boxes lol

Hi

I am back after 6 years and want to join a thread and get familiar, I hope I am still welcome, I am excited to be back.

Waiting for guidance

Ida

´¨¨)) -:¦:- -:¦:-

¸.•´ •´¨¨))

((¸¸.•´ Ida

Happy Moments- Praise God, Difficult Moments- Seek God, Quiet Moments- Worship God ,Painful Moments -Trust God, Every Moment -Thank God

:welcome: back!

Just start reading through the boards, find a place you like and start posting. The WWer General Thread is a good place to start, or look at the boards based on your age, or how much you have to lose.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

:welcome: Glad your back

Positive thinking gets positive results!!!!!!!

Dottie HW: 210.4 SW:203.6 WWG:141 CW: 108.5 (5-1-14)

Made lifetime in 2003 and have maintained.

Welcome back! The best guidance I can give is to find new foods about which to be passionate. Weight Watchers works for me when I'm making beautiful salads, eating wonderful fish, and an exploring the world of whole grains. Its not about deprivation, but eating really good food that is good for you.

I really need to lose weight. I was thinking of having gastric by pass surgery and I have thought of Aitkins, etc. I feel very concerned about my health and I have a high stress job which is not enhanced by this economy.

I am wondering if there is a book that would be good to read, or material that would be good to read. I am thinking of joining WW online because I don't like public things that much. I am sure it varies but does the online WW work fairly well?

Is there a zero points soup recipe?

Hope these aren't' dumb questions.

I don't drink alcohol but I really seem to like sweets.

Thanks for any help.

Scott Morton

Welcome back :)

:welcome: Scott! There's a great Men's Forum here where you can join in with the daily thread and get some great support and advice!!

Kimberley

Welcome back:) Do get started in a group--there are all kinds to choose from. Once you start posting in a group, you will quickly get to "know" the others and will no longer feel like a stranger. The key to getting the benefits of this web site is to jump in and start posting. Check back every day if you can, and explore around various threads.

Linda... just don't quit! Ever!

weight.png

All of the things you mentioned will work if you are faithful to their programs.

With gastric bypass you will still have to learn to eat properly. My theory is do that first and then see if you need more help.

I would recommend at least one WW meeting. They will be free with your online membership of $39 a month. You will get better info in a more usable format at meeting and then you can go online all you want.

Decide which you like worse, public things or being obese.

Exercise will help with the stress. The guys on the mens forum are good at that and there are many smart gals here who have great success and are worth getting to know.

Read as much as you can all over this site. Knowing that you are not alone is powerful.

Welcome

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

Welcome Scott.

I suggest doing the monthly pass for at least one month. After each meeting, the new people stay and the leader goes over the program. That would give you a chance to ask questions in a smaller setting. Having said that, it is certainly possible to join online and be successful.

One of the things I love about Weight Watchers is that you don't have to cut out any food group. The program helps you learn how to portion food and get the right mix of foods to be healthy. It also encourages activity.

Please let us know if we can help you!

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I gave gastric bypass some consideration over the years, but like CW said, you still have to learn to eat properly. Also, I've known too many who had the surgery and still regained all their weight and then some. I consider it kinda like those who are looking for the magic pill, the quick & easy way to lose. WW is the healthy way to lose.

I also tried the low carb route and had some success, but only for 3-4 months. It just wasn't sustainable for me. I felt too deprived of things that I wanted but couldn't have. With WW you can work the sweets into your plan so you don't feel deprived, that's what I do. It worked for that pizza craving I had recently that wouldn't go away too, lol.

I also recommend at least one WW meeting for the materials. I originally joined online but did go to 1 meeting, & I occasionally buy some WW products from meeting centers.

Dandy

SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130

It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

weight.png

Hi Scott, Welcome to BCB. I do WW online. I started in March with an online membership and joined BCB about the same time. I got tons of information from the buddies on this site, and from the WW website. I have said all along that if it doesn't work, I'm going to go to meetings. So far I have made fairly steady progress unless I'm not using the online tracker like I should (which is my fault - not the online program's fault). I do go to Curves and they weigh and measure me once a month, so I have an accountability opportunity there that I wouldn't have with just the online program. I think different things work for different people. You could try it and if it doesn't work, you know you need to try something else. There is a WW at Home thread. Everyone there is doing it at home (for various reasons.) We would love to have you.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP

Recipe from WW Getting Started Book

4 servings

0 points per serving

2/3 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup diced onion

2 cloves garlic

3 cups fat free broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)

1 1/2 cups green cabbage leaf -- diced

1/2 cup green beans

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1/2 cup zucchini -- diced

In a large saucepan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute the carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt;

bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer covered, about 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

Heather

SW: 184 (3/1/10) :bcb_yuck:

CW: 158.2

GW: 140

Write your hurts in the sand; carve your blessings in stone.

I lasted on Aikins for exactly 12 hours! I know there are people who have lost on it, but everyone I know who did it had a tremendous loss, followed by a rapid gain. Weight Watchers is great because he teaches you how to eat for life. I've been on WW since July, and I've enjoyed pizza, cake, and all kinds of "forbidden" foods which I can have because I count them. I really like the meetings myself, but there is nothing magic about them - it just depends on whether you like getting together with others to share information and get your weekly weigh it. You can always just go to one meeting, and get the information; or join on line. Good luck!