Health Discovery Network
OCGirl

Do you always eat protein with starch?

I saw that the general discussion forum reappeared today but there were no current posts so I thought I'd start one.

Sometimes for dinner DH and I want a simple but filling meal so we just have angel hair spaghetti with a meatless tomato sauce and a tossed all veggie salad to go with it (usually with Balsamic Vinaigrette). I had always thought this was fine and that it was good to go without protein once in a while. Recently, however, I read that it is best to always have a protein with your starch but I don't know if this is really true. I don't want to be eating a meal that would make it harder for me to stay OP.

Does anyone have any info on this or any experience?

Marianne

I don't know about that, but I do eat a protein with fruit, to stabilize the sugar in the fruit (like a string cheese with a pear or grapes, or peanut butter with an apple). Since starch converts to sugar, maybe having a protein with it would be a good idea. You need protein.

Tish

Onward and Downward

I find that I do best if I have protein and fruit/veg at every meal. The current WW equation has a penalty in points value for carbs vs. protein, so I guess they're trying to guide us to eat more protein and less starch.

Kathleen O. -=- 246.6/209.2/146 -=- OP daily since 4/23/13

The best way for me to be OP tomorrow is to stay OP today -- no matter what.

Unless that cupcake is holding a gun, it can't "make" you eat it.