Health Discovery Network
mseeebee

Walking

Just a thought. i don't walk outside at home. Too many dogs and snakes. So, I do laps in my home, setting the timer for 30 minutes. Seems like I get fewer steps in doing that than when I do the one mile at our mall in town. Seems strange to me.

Esther

Just do what you know to do!

Not sure why but I'm guessing that when you are in your home you are walking slower because you are moving around a lot more corners or curves which would slow you down. In a mall you might be able to pick up a bit more speed because more of the walk would be in long straight lines. Anyway, that's my guess. Still, good for you for walking in your home and not using the dogs/snakes as an excuse not to exercise.

Marianne

I walk in my home too sometimes! Glad I'm not the only one. I'm walking a familiar path and often read on my Kindle while I walk to help with the boredom. Hee hee!

Love it, and would do that, but know I have too many little jogs I have to turn thru!

Esther

I walk everywhere I possibly can, except to the Mall - too far. I think it's great for our mental health too. I still walk now in winter and it's usually in the teens (18-19F) a lot of the times. I do have a treadmill too.

I have a neighbour who loves walking too, makes it nice.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

So much admire you for walking in the cold! I don't even stick my nose out the door if it gets down past 40. Of course I am in the deep south, so that doesn't often hang out there all day.

Esther

Alissa, would love for you to join us on the "what one thing have I done for myself today". That is where I started posting my walks and such. It is under general discussion catagory.

Esther

since I'm finally getting back on track, have made a point to walk more. The weather's been very cold! (8 degrees, a little snow and wind today). I am persevering by dressing for the elements. Too cold for the dogs tho, paws very cold before the first mile mark : (

I also keep track on a calendar on my fridge, love being able to see my progress.

Hello

My neighbour and I walk every day, most days in the afternoon and after supper. We walk for about an hour, each time. Were not fast walkers because we have foot issues, but we do walk.

We walked this afternoon and it was pretty hot, except when we kept close to the water. Were not walking tonight though.

It is a great help if you have a walking buddy. You motivate each other.

Great for weight loss too ;).

HAPPY WALKING.

Ashlee

Back for a quick visit to BCB, had been on 50+ beyond group. I purchased a 'FITBIT in January 2014, have not used it much. As I have been enlarging my 'sitter' size in my 'green' recliner chair. And we must go green these days. Been down in the dumps and have had to do some traveling lately, and have moved less and less. However, I am thinking, only thinking (not many calories in that) about getting FIBIT off the dresser, in the dresser drawer?? GAD, have I lost it. and maybe ???? use it. I enjoy walking around OUR IA condo area. It is a 55+ community and lovely, with lots of grass, trees and sidewalks and safe, well as safe as any place can be these days. But have not geared up much enthusiasm or encouragement toward any healthy effort. Or even dust off the FITBIT, if I can find it.. Good luck on your walk/run site on BCB. I am going to buy Preventive ???? Something magazine I saw for $10. and hope for a kick in my growing 'sitter',

shar

weight.png

:) shar

3_4_102.gif

hello! I use my I phone as a pedometer and walk 3 miles a day 5x a week. i have friends who find trackers to be motivating once they started useing them. I purchased the WALK AWAY THE POUNDS DVD by Leslie Sansone for $8 at Wallmart and began with the 1 mile walk and worked up to the 3 mile walk. I live in Canada and I needed something I could do inside. We have long cold Winters and tons of snow fall. Im new to this site and was surching for a place to post to help keep me accountable with both diet and exercise. Its addicting to walk with Leslie she is motivational and I highly recomend her DVDs. All the Best!

My neighbour/friend is my walking partner. We walk 3-6 miles a day. Now that it's winter, we don't walk at night. We used to walk twice a day before winter arrived. Today, we did 5.6 miles to our Park and did a trail as well and home.

HAPPY WALKING EVERYONE

Ashlee

I walk at the Mall in winter weather here - at least 2 miles, plus I walk to the bus station which is about 8 blocks to get to the Mall. Can't wait for spring and outside walking on the trails/to the park/to the harbour, etc.

Ashlee

Lenalady - Good for you.

We walked a couple times last week up to almost 6 miles, but I've not been feeling well so didn't do as much walking last week as we normally do.

HAPPY WALKING EVERYONE :).