Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
LadyIris

If you love Carrot Cake...

You might like this one...it makes two 9x5 loaves and I slice each into 10 slices (2pts/ea)! Really yummy alone or can top with a bit of lite cream cheese mixed up with some splenda & cinnamon! (add the xtra points) This recipe really suprised me as it has no eggs and the first part about leaving the mixture over night before mixing and baking was something new to me too...but it works and is really tasty! smile.gif **Original recipe had 1/2 cup walnuts but I leave them out 'cuz family are not nut lovers...also saves some fat! :eek:

ENJOY!

Robyn

* Exported from MasterCook *

Carrot Cake

Recipe By : Jane Brody (Good Food Book)

Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/4 cups water

1 cup raisins, seedless

2 cups carrots -- finely grated

1 tablespoon butter or margarine

1 teaspoon cloves -- ground

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour

1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, raisins, carrots, butter, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring mixture to a boil over moderately high heat and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Cover the pan and let rest for 12 hours (refrigeration is not necessary).

2. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, soda & salt. Add this to carrot mixture after the carrot mixture has rested, stirring just to combine the ingredients. Divde batter between two sprayed loaf pans (9x5x3 inches).

3. Bake the cake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 1 hour 10 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

O ne<br />U nplanned<br />C hoice<br />H urts<br /><br />Pre WW Loss 12 lbs<br />WW Start 11/11/02<br />WW loss to date 65.2 lbs<br />Loss this week -0.4 lbs<br />Total loss to date 77.2 lbs

Hi Susan, If I were to make this I would simply leave the raisins out, as no one here likes raisins either.

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

If you do leave the raisins out, just be sure to recalculate the points because it will take out some fiber.

-Christina

1st Goal: Size 18

weight.png

What is making you fat? It isn't your schedule or your metabolism or your willpower. Stop making excuses.

-Dr. Phil

Could you possibly use another fruit besides raisins? Several menbers of my family do not like them. I was wondering if pineapple tidbits could be substituted?

Susan wave.gif

SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

Guest Selwyn

Could you give us the calories, fiber, etc. if you have them. That way if we wanted to add the nuts we would be able to recalculate. Thanks--the recipe looks really good.

Sorry...I couldn't get the nutritional information to copy over on the original post...I have a really old version (3.2) of MasterCook and I'm having alot of trouble getting it to do what I want it to do (may be due to the computer operator and not the program! :rolleyes: )

This is what the nutritional information comes out when I print the recipe out with my printer...

Calories=================112.2

Total Fat(g)============= 0.9

Saturated Fat(g)========= 0.4

Mono Fat(g)============== 0.2

Poly Fat(g)============== 0.1

Cholesterol(mg)========== 2

Carbohydrate(g)========== 25.3

Dietary Fiber(g)========= 1.6

Protein(g)=============== 2.1

Sodium(mg)=============== 164

Potassium(mg)============ 126

Calcium(mg)============== 46

Iron(mg)================= 0.9

Zinc(mg)================= 0.3

Vitamin A(i.u)=========== 2754 (55% Daily Value)

Hope this helps...I guess I need to get one of the Mastercook afficianados to give me some lessons on how to get all the nutrition info to copy over so I can post that here on the board! :D

Robyn

O ne<br />U nplanned<br />C hoice<br />H urts<br /><br />Pre WW Loss 12 lbs<br />WW Start 11/11/02<br />WW loss to date 65.2 lbs<br />Loss this week -0.4 lbs<br />Total loss to date 77.2 lbs

Me too, raisins have to go, but nuts will stay in mine too. Thanks so much. I heard there's a carrot cake recipe in one of the WW cookbooks, but not sure which one. Rhonda

Hugs, Rhonda<br /><br />"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed" Proverbs l5:22<br /><br /> 5'5"<br /> WWSW-190<br /> CW-174<br /> WWGW-150<br /> PGW-145<br /><br />NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!<br />GALAXY QUEST

I hate to sound like an idiot, but I don't have two baking pans that size. Could I put this all into one big cake pan?!

Weight loss to date: -78lbs.<br />Pounds to go: 35!

Gillie,

I think you might end up with the edges overdone and the middle underdone :eek: if your tried to make this in one pan (i.e. a 9X13). They do have disposable (aluminum)loaf pans in most grocery stores baking/utensil sections for a fairly inexpensive price if you wanted to try that instead of buying glass or metal loaf pans. Let me know if your try the recipe and like it!! smile.gif

Robyn

Did anyone get to make this yet without the raisins and with the nuts? What did the points end up being? I think I would like to try it that way.

254/224/154

Gillie,

I would make one loaf and use the rest of the batter for 10-12 muffins. I think that would work.

Selma/Shana1

Highest weight, 350# 1992

Started WW, 7/6/01

303.6/218.4/under 215

100#s gone, 5/15/06

"If you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind. Like a bridge over troubled waters, I will ease your mind." Courtesy of Paul Simon

I have made this cake a couple of times and it's very VERY good.

The first time I made it, I accidently left out the oil, and found it was not needed at all (just needed a bit extra water) and baked both loaves in a bundt pan for 40 minutes on 325. Worked out great and it was so pretty. I didn't ice it, just sliced it up, served it at work and everyone wanted the recipe.

The next time I made it in two loaf pans. I left out the oil (on purpose this time) and added 1/2 cup undrained crushed pineapple instead of that extra water and I used Splenda in place of the sugar. Tasted wonderful. The only difference was the cake didn't rise as high as it did with the sugar. I think from now on I might use either a combination of Splenda and sugar or just use the sugar because the appearance is so much nicer and really 3/4 cup for loaves is not a lot. Perhaps 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Splenda would be a good mix.

Anyway, this cake is delicious, even without a topping. Just wanted to give my review.

Kim

I made this last week and it was delcious -- even my non-WW friends loved it! I used 2 8x3 disposable loaf pans (cause I couldn't find 9x5x3) and it turned out fine. I had to add a little water when adding the flour mixture, as it seemed really dry.

Oh...so happy to see some of you made and enjoyed this recipe...it is one of my favorites! I like that idea of substituting some of the sugar with splenda...I'm going to try that next time! Also, a couple squirts of DaVinci SF French Vanilla might be a tasty addition. I have made this with 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and although it does not really change the point value, it does add a little fat. I leave them out...'cuz my family doesn't like the nuts. :(

Robyn Haifley