Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
JimL3222

More Weight or More Reps?

So, as a 56 y.o. guy, going back to the gym, I realize I will never look like Arnold, but am tired of looking like Peter Griffin. What will do me the most good when working on weight machines if I wish to focus on weight loss first?

Should I find the maximum weight I can lift for 8 - 10 reps, or should I find a weight that I can manage to lift 15 - 18 times?

More reps and greater speed for weight-loss.

The heavier weight and slower reps will build more muscle (which you can still do at any age). The muscle will weigh more than the fat that it replaces. If you're looking at the scale numbers to go down, you likely won't see great improvements that way.

Think Brian Shaw weighs 435 lbs.

Jason

Sorry, I am a female and not an expert at all but I have read a ton of information and almost always they say to lift heavy for less reps. They say that lifting light for alot of reps doesn't really do much. I can tell you that I have seen the most changes in my body when lifting heavy. Start with one for a couple of months and if your not liking the results your seeing then switch to the other. It sure isn't going to hurt you! I have put a link below to the workout I used the most and seen great results with. Gabe's Great!! :) HTH!!

Restarted 4/21/16

SW230/CW193/GW125

Mini-goal: 170 by July 4th

weight.png

Chrissy it really depends. Notice I mentioned 'greater speed' in addition to more reps. For weight-loss specifically, it's the intensity of the workout that is the key. Not the reps, or weight.

You should still be doing both heavy weight at less reps, and lower weight at (faster)higher reps for your workouts - since they work different muscle fibers. Something like this is optimal for weight loss:

Strength - Under 8 reps (0-15% of exercise volume)

Hypertrophy - 8-16 reps (70-85% of exercise volume)

Endurance - 16+ reps (15% of exercise volume)

Jason