Health Discovery Network
mclaugja

Unstuffed Cabbage - 4 Points per Serving

I found this one in our local newspaper and had to try it. It was super. Even fussy DH liked it. I substituted ground turkey for the beef but calculated the points based on beef.

1 pound lean ground beef

1 c chopped onion

1/2 c uncooked (not instant) rice

1 medium head cabbage (about 8 cups), chopped

1 (20-28oz) can crushed tomatoes

1 T brown sugar

1 T white vinegar

1/2 tsp. salt

Brown beef and onions and drain. Add cabbage. Cover and cook until wilted. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes. Or turn into a casserole dish and bake at 350 approx. 1 hour.

By my calculations, this came up to be 4 points per 1 cup serving.

Jill<br />"If you can dream it, you can become it"<br />203/158/150 5'8"<br />OP since 3/1/01

Jill

Made this for dinner this evening. Very good! Reminded me of the stuffed cabbage rolls I usually make. One thing that I put in mine however is some raisins. Next time I make this recipe..... much simpler without all that rolling up.... I'll add about a 1/4-1/2 cup raisins. This won't make that much difference in the points for the whole dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I wouldn't have thought to make cabbage "rolls" this way. :rolleyes:

Annette

Thank you Jill -

I don't believe I have to go to the store again, today. (no cabbage -darn). I am going to make this for dinner tonight. I will tell you how we like it this p.m..

Thanks - Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Bringing this up

"When we go back to the Old way of eating ,

we go back to the Old weight...." Author Unknown

Dawn

Guest ClaremoreZebraBandMom0407

My mom used to make this when I was a kid. It is very tasty. All she used was browned ground hamburger, 1 head of cabbage, small onion, 1 can of tomatos and a can of V8 juice, salt & pepper. Cook until wilted.

I think I'll make this tonight.

You know, there was a thread on here somewhere with this recipe that had been changed by Charski using TVP and now I can't find it anywhere! Anyway, I tried her version of this recipe using the TVP and it was great! Just wanted to let her know. :D

JeanetteSki

I have a question about the recipe. It said to add regular rice and bring to a boil. Where does the liquid come from. Does it come from the cabbage? Please clarify before I try out the recipe. TIA. Karyn wave.gif wave.gif

Joined WW at 163 - 1 Jul 02<br />Made goal at 140 - 30 Sep 02<br />138 - 21 Oct 02<br />137.5 - 28 Oct<br />Lifetime: 137 - 4 Nov<br />14 Nov: 136.5<br />1 Aug: 140; 1 Sep: 135, Mar 04: 131,Apr04 - 126.5

Hi, I made this for dinner tonight & I am waiting for Dh to come home now so we can eat. I had a small taste, and WOW! This is delicious!!

The liquid comes from the can of tomatoes.

BTW, with this made 8 cups, and with my morningstar veggie crumbles it comes to just 4=P for 2 cups. Pretty darn good, I think.

Hurry up, DH, I'm starving.....

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Well, Dawna's account got ME hungry...!! LOL! Luckily, I had everything here, so I assembled it in no-time!!

I used one 15 oz. can of tomato sauce and one of diced tomatoes. I didn't add the Morningstar Griller Crumbles until the v-e-r-y end (didn't want them to plump up too much tongue.gif )...

This dinner was EASY and DELICIOUS!! Can't wait to have left-overs tomorrow!! :D Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks for the answer. I'm DEFINATELY making this tomorrow. Sounds good and filling. Karyn wave.gif wave.gif

Joined WW at 163 - 1 Jul 02<br />Made goal at 140 - 30 Sep 02<br />138 - 21 Oct 02<br />137.5 - 28 Oct<br />Lifetime: 137 - 4 Nov<br />14 Nov: 136.5<br />1 Aug: 140; 1 Sep: 135, Mar 04: 131,Apr04 - 126.5

A note on the Morningstar Grillers Crumbles:

I'm having left-overs for "brunch" and the crumbles kept their shape and texture and flavor beautifully!! Mmmm-mmm! wave.gif Carol

I started this one cooking in my wok (SUPER large wok-- gotta love it!) and then, because I had to leave for work (night-shift..UGH) transferred it to my crockpot to finish cooking. Set it on low heat...and it turned out wonderful!

bcbsalute.gif

TracyD

HW/SW: 253.2 (6/15/10)

CW: 195.8

WI Tuesday mornings

My goal 10,000 fitness minutes in 2011.

I made it tonight and I had a few medium rice pieces. Has anyone made it with instant rice instead? I also made diet cola brownies. Ummmmmm Karyn wave.gif tongue.gif wave.gif

bump, going to try today, may use a combo of this recipe and similar one on the board.

Sheryl

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives"...Annie Dillard<br /><br />190/141/143.5/135<br />sw/wwg/cw/pg 5'3"<br /><br />SD 9-17-02/LT 7-22-03

TracyD wave.gif I have a question re this recipe in the crockpot. I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd try anyway. I tried this recipe in the crockpot last Wed., and it cooked on low for about 6 hrs. My family didn't like the smell, and it turned out mushy. Still, I remember my mom cooking this on the stove, and I'm willing to give it another try. How long did you cook it in the crockpot? Was it mushy, and did the cabbage smell, well, you know...cabbagey??? {Anyone who knows the answer to this can jump in with a reply.}

Guest broomy

This is an excellent dish. I put Sour cream in it for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.

Guest broomy

Alexandria I cook mine in my Extra Large size electric frying pan. My small ones are too small. I think it would be better cooked this way than in a crock, it doesn't get mushy on me.

A great recipe for "freezing" AND you don't have to take the time to stuff-the-cabbage~

Guest raidermom

I haven't made this in ages.......thanks for the bump!

Unfortunately I never have the leftovers to freeze.... :(

Instant rice gets too mushy. I use brown rice and bake. My family loves it.

Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.

WOW! Was this delicious!! I used whole tomatoes instead of crushed, and added a little extra water. DH loved it. He told me it's a keeper! Enough for two dinners for us and an extra lunch!

Thanks for the great recipe!

MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

Guest PhatLady

This was fantastic! I put a little FF sour cream in my servings.

I did use long grain rice and it didn't cook! So, it was a bit crunchy. D'oh, next time I'll use another type of rice.

Guest irish*rose

got the stuff to make this and I think I am going to cook it to day, andfreeze some of it for lunches later in the week. Thanks for the great recipie!

My DH LOVES "stuffed cabbage" - so i will have to give this easier method a try ! (i think he uses "tomatoe soup" though ?) anyway ... will it fit in a large frying pan ?? so, after i brown the meat & drain , then i add the dry rice & cabbge ?

Do u like it better on the stove OR baked ?any opinions ??

"The Bible says "Glorify God in your body" ...therefore, I want to be : Thin4HIM

WILLPOWER = turn Your Will over to HIS POWER !