Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Sunflwr1

African Chow Mein (casserole)

This recipe has been in my family for years. I love it! If anyone could run it through MasterCook that would be great!

1 lb. 96% lean ground beef = 12pts. (could use TVP or ground turkey)

3 small onions (chopped)= 0

2 C. chopped celery = 0

1 C. uncooked Minute Rice = 8

2 C. boiling water = 0

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup = 13

1 small can mushrooms (drained)= 0

1/3 C. soy sauce = 0 (can use reduced sodium if desired)

Total of 33 points using regular Cream of Mushroom soup. If you divide this by 6 servings I come up with 5-1/2 points per serving.

In a large, deep fry pan brown ground beef and onions, rinse in hot water and drain, return to pan. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Pour into casserole and bake covered at 350* for 45 mins. Stir and bake uncovered for another 30mins.

As far as servings go this fed a family of 5 with leftovers. If anyone has any suggestions as further reducing points feel free to suggest. I hope some of you try this. I've always liked it.

P.S. I have no idea why it's called "African" Chow Mein smile.gif

~Marcia

HW-192/CW-160/GW-152

"When you're on a journey without an end, make sure you're enjoying the ride." -CW

A couple of you have asked me about the points... I just figured them. I think it's accurate. ALSO I forgot to put in 2 C. chopped celery!!! Sorry! It's in the recipe now odear.gif

~Marcia

HW-192/CW-160/GW-152

"When you're on a journey without an end, make sure you're enjoying the ride." -CW