Health Discovery Network
vammr130

Zero point soup???

Guest fiza

I was just going to post a message asking for a substitute for cabbage (it's too much work to cook for me!) but the coleslaw is a great idea! You guys rock!

Many, many good soups here. Thanks all for the fantastic posts. Karyn wave.gif

Joined WW at 163 - 1 Jul 02<br />Made goal at 140 - 30 Sep 02<br />138 - 21 Oct 02<br />137.5 - 28 Oct<br />Lifetime: 137 - 4 Nov<br />14 Nov: 136.5<br />1 Aug: 140; 1 Sep: 135, Mar 04: 131,Apr04 - 126.5

I came looking for the 0 point soup!!!

and boy did I find it LOL!!

K.<br />*******************************<br />The race is not to the fastest<br /><br />and not just the winner<br /><br />But the Finisher!!!!!!!<br />#################<br /> SW/168<br />WWG10%/149<br /> CW/156<br /> PGW/135<br />#################<br />SERIOUS ABOUT SUMMER<br />CHALLENGE<br />SW:156<br />Week 1-April 12th .5lbs loss 155.5<br />Week 2-April 19th<br />Week 3-April 26th<br />Week 4- May 3rd<br />Week 5- May 10th<br />Week 6- May 17th<br />Week 7- May 24th<br />Week 8- May 31st<br />_ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _<br />SHORT TERM GOAL;<br />EASTER CHALLENGE:<br />LOOSE 5 LBS BY EASTER:<br />COUNTDOWN TO 150:<br />LONG TERM;<br />SWIMSUITE CHALLENGE:<br />15 LBS BY JULY<br />PETITES CHALLENGE:<br />PERSONAL GOAL OF 130

A friend was over today when I was making some zero point soup and wanted the recipe 'cause she said it smelled wonderful. Here's the original recipe my two variations (which are actually one point) on the zero point soup.

Janet,

Here's the original vegetable soup recipe:

GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP

Serving Size: 1 cup (makes 4 servings)

2/3 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup diced onion

2 cloves garlic

3 cups fat free broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)

1 1/2 cups green cabbage leaf -- diced

1/2 cup green beans

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1/2 cup zucchini -- diced

In a large saucepan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute the carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer covered, about 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

Here are a couple of my variations on the soup. The possibilities are actually endless and it’s a good way to use up those small bits of leftover veggies.

Variation #1

Omit cabbage and zucchini

Add 2 stalks chopped celery with carrots, onions, and garlic

Add one can diced tomatoes w/jalapenos

1/2 cup frozen corn

4 oz. grilled chicken breast, chopped

Variation #2

Omit cabbage and zucchini

Substitute a portion of the broth with V-8 juice

Add one can diced tomatoes w/jalapenos

1/2 cup frozen corn

4 oz. grilled chicken breast, chopped

Enjoy!

Ya-Ya Name: "Dutchess Purrs Like a Kitten"<br />Start Date: 2/11/03<br />204/171/150

bumping up

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

bumpity bump

<b>Recommited on:</b> June 12, 2003<br /><b>SW:</b> 230 <b>CW:</b> 217 <b>GW:</b> 145<br /><i>JUNE:</i><b>14 LBS.</b><br /><i>JUL/3/03:</i><b> (+3) </b>GRRRR <br /><i>JUL/10/03:</i><b> (-2) </b><br /><b>Pounds that have gone bye bye:</b> 13<br />╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗╗<br /><br /><b>WW At Home Labor Day Meltdown Challenge 10 lbs</b> (-14 lbs) <b> Achieved Challenge!</b>

I have a question about this recipe, Will it turn out the same if I dont put cabbage or zukes? I dont like either of them but will it ruin the soup if I dont put it in? Also can I use french cut greenbeans or will they turn to mush?

Thanks guys.

Tiff

GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP

Recipe from WW Getting Started Book

4 servings

0 points per serving

2/3 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup diced onion

2 cloves garlic

3 cups fat free broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)

1 1/2 cups green cabbage leaf -- diced

1/2 cup green beans

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1/2 cup zucchini -- diced

You can use ANY zero-point vegetables you want, and you can leave out any vegetables you want to! :D

You can add any pointed vegetables, if you count them.

I think the french-cut string beans would be fine.

Just add them last. thumbup.gif

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

The last time I made this soup, I was a little burned out on traditional cabbage and substituted savoy (Chinese) cabbage. The flavor is not as strong IMHO, but it still adds volume to the soup.

Linda<br /><i>Becoming the best version of myself</i><br />SW/CW/GW<br />299/270/165

Thanks buddies. yes Im soup challanged.. ok ok ok Im kitchen challanged.

Im making my list right now so I can make some tomarrow or maybe even take some to my lunch/playdate on friday

Tiff

Guest 1texasmom

Bump for 2005 -

Great ideas to warm you up and keep you satisfied.

Can you add extra veggies like broccoli or cauliflower to this? I make this, but I just put everything into a pot and simmer it. I use cabbage, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, celery, cauliflower, onion, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and spices. Would this change the point value very much?

Angel, the ingredients you list would still make a zero Point soup.

Enjoy!

If you start adding corn, or beans, or meats, or potatoes, or other starchy veggies, you can wind up with a soup that isn't zero Points, but unless your broth is cream-based with butter, it's probably still pretty low. For example Chinese "hot and sour" soup has lots of stuff in it for 2 Points a cup and regular chicken noodle soup is also 2 Points per cup.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

"Good food brings good health and longevity." - Chinese fortune cookie

Bump for the holiday and the new year!

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

2008 stats: SW 153.6 12/31/07 ~ HW 156.0 09/15/08 ~ CW 153.2 09/22/08 ~ GW 137 ~ PGW 130

My pictures!

Guest ariellasdaddy

Can you use a soup mix instead of broth?

If you can find a plain soup mix it would be fine. Be careful, boullion cubes are very high in salt.

Nancy

Original SW 175 (1996)

My pictures!

Also, be careful when adding Knorr Buillion! I've switched to either fat-free broth or Wiltons. When I calculated the soup out it came out to a point with the Knorr buillion!

I also add Celery and any 0 point veggies I can find that aren't outrageously expensive at the store.

"Sometimes it is not enough to do our best; we must do what is required." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Cowboys like girls with big calves" - Smokey and the Bandit

Lifetime January 2007

Current goal: 30 AP's a week/5 workouts a week

I made the Oriental Soup today (first experience with 0 point soup) and it was so AWESOME!! Thanks!

SW: 189.5

Lifetime Goal: 148 March 2006

CW: 147 (7/19/2010)

Guest LivBean

Bump up.....love this soup as a great snack.

Wow...I can't wait to try every one of these soups!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post these...yummmm!! :)

The greatest wealth is health. ~Virgil

This is my comfort food. I eat it every day.

3 cans FF chicken broth

2 16oz bags frozen cauliflower

8oz frozen carrots

1 can tomatos

1 can green beans

1 can Northern beans rinsed and drained

1 packet Sweet N Low

1 palm full of dried minced onions

1 tablespoon of dried basil

1 tsp. season salt

Bring all ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 mins. Let cool slightly, and add one tablespoon olive oil. Put in a blender and mix till smooth. Makes 3 quarts. Totally core. Leave out the beans or count points for flex.

You wouldn't have to put it in a blender, I do because I'm not crazy about vegetables. This is like eating vegetables without my knowledge.