Health Discovery Network
LegalEagle

Black Bean Soup-WOW

First, many thanks to "Maureen" for pointing this for me over at Cybergranny's.

I found this at Verybestmeals.com. If you go there, you can read the reviews on it, and not just take my word for how good this is.

I think it's really something special.

Black Bean Soup - 10 cups // 2-points ea.

3-16 oz. cans black beans, undrained

1-1/2 cups, low sodium,fat free, chicken broth

1 med. onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped(use fresh)

24 oz. Salsa

2-T. lime juice

1-T. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Place 2 cans beans with liquid and chicken broth in food processor. Blend until smooth.

Spray large fry pan with olive oil pam. Cook onion & garlic over med.-high heat, 5-mins., or until onions are tender. Add bean mixture, salsa, lime juice, cumin & red pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 mins..

Serve with 2-T. light sour cream (optional). This would add 1-extra point.

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Sorry folks, a little correction....or omission...

The third can of beans, undrained, and whole, is added to the large pan on stove, when you add the other bean mixture.

It is not run through the food processor, so that it will add a little body to the soup.

I knew it was way too early in the a.m. for me to be posting a recipe, but I am off to the grocery store early, and I wanted to get this posted for everyone.

I need more coffee, fast!

Dawna wave.gif

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

This does look good.

I have a silly question I'm hoping you could help me with. I have black beans in the bag. Is there a way I could use those in something like this? Or should I not attempt it? Would there be a better recipe to use with the uncooked black beans? I've never made anything with black beans but trying to expand into more variety for us. TIA! Love to have your suggestions.

Good Morning, I don't know about this. I have also looked at those bags of dried black beans. I love just about anything with black beans, and I have wondered this same thing myself.

Let me give this a little more thought...However, in the meantime, you can't go wrong with this soup if you have black beans in cans available. I have never really cared much for soup of any kind, but I think I could live on this one!

Have a great OP day! wave.gif

Dawna

This is very close to WW Carol's Easy-Sneezy Black Bean Soup, which I tried. It was VERY GOOD and I can't imagine this wouldn't be as good. It's very tasty and worked out better for me than then angelfood cake with peaches!! LOL!

JeanetteSki

this soup is great. Husband and I both liked it very much and I plan to make it often. Thanks for posting it.

Debra

Highest weight 286

If I can dream it, I can be it...

:bike:

Dawna, what a fabulous site that verybestmeals is! I could (and will) spend hours over there.

Also on all the meals at the top, there is the nutitional information link so you can get everything you need to point the recipes yourself. I love that you can scale it down too if you want. I printed off a couple of delicious sounding recipes. If they pan out (no pun intended) then I'll post the recipes.

Kim

Guest kamperstampr

Would someone please share the url for the verybestmeals site? I tried verybestmeals.com and I get an error message. Thanks. Barbra

Barbra: I just tried www.verybestmeals.com and it came up okay. Try again.

:D PAT

Ya-Ya Sisterhood name: Viscountess Cheshire Kitten

Recomitted - Feb 18, 2006 - 219/200.2/5 more / 5' 7"

Total Loss - 18.8 :D

1st mini goal - 10 % = 198

2nd mini goal - Overweight not Obese BMI = 191 lbs

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." --Theodore Roosevelt

WOWDawna what a wonderful site that is. Thanks for sharing and the soup was fantastic, even my 13 year ol liked it and he doesn't care much for soup. wave.gif :D

Your CA buddySharon/Parklady Life time: 7-24- 01 Lost 42.2 #**********************************"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." **********************************

Guest JeMarie

The Black Bean soup sounds wonderful. Just wondering if you could drain and rinse the beans and use the equivelant of water for the liquid that was in the can? Usually the liquid in canned beans has more sodium than I like.

JeMarie

Well, the sodium content concerned me also. But...I think the answer to this question is no. Every time I have made a recipe where the instruc. say "undrained" black beans and I have changed it around to "drained", I have found the recipe does not come out the same. Yes, this is after trying it both ways. So, for me, that answer is no.

Dawna

Oooooohhhhh Yuuuummmmmmy!!! I made this tonight and I love it!!!! Thanks for posting.

I have been eating a commercial black bean soup for 4 pts/cup - this works out much better.

Allie<br />Recommitted 01/05/04<br />282.0/272.5/working on 250<br /><br />"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson<br /><br />"Light is the task when many share the toil." - Homer

Hi - I made this again (can ya tell I really like it??). Anyway - just wanted to let you know that I drained all the tins of black beans first and rinsed them well. I added about 1/4 cup of water to replace what I drained off.

The recipe worked out great...I think I even liked the texture a little better.

Allie<br />Recommitted 01/05/04<br />282.0/272.5/working on 250<br /><br />"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson<br /><br />"Light is the task when many share the toil." - Homer

Thanks Allie, I'm going to try this also. It does bother me when I use black beans in a recipe when they are not drained and rinsed. I'll let you know how we like it.

later.... wave.gif

Dawna

I just made this today. What a GREAT soup!!! My DH says he would like more beans, and I would like more onions, so next time I'll use 4 cans of beans (two pureed and two whole) and 3 or 4 onions (I like a lot of them.)

I also did not use cumin (it gives me heartburn!) This is why I don't eat Mexican foods in restaurants - they always use cumin. The soup was great without it (no loss of flavor), in case anyone else does not like cumin.

Faith is giving God what you can't handle.<br />-------------------<br />Success is found just outside your comfort zone!! <br />--------------------<br />The one thing worse than a quitter is the person who is afraid to begin.<br />------------------- <br />WW-for-Life (C J) OP 24/7

I love this soup! It could not be any easier to make and it's just delicious! I thought it was even better the second day. The flavors seemed to meld together more and it was a little thicker.

Thanks for sharing this!

jj

Success is a journey not a destination!

bump

Sincerely,

Carla

~Food wasted is better than food waisted!

~Iceberg lettuce is perhaps the most aptly named plant in the world and should be avoided as though you were the Titanic with a second chance.

Guest Debnicu

This sounds like it will be fabulous.Not sure if DH will like it but I am fortunate in that he will try anything.Thanks for posting this.

:D

Guest MonkeyChops

Hi,

I came to the US 2 years ago where I had black bean soup in TGI's since then I have been craving it and have not managed to find anywhere that sells it nor a reciepe so thanks - i'm going to make this.

My only question is I like in the UK and am confused regarding Chicken broth - is this like our Chicken stock?? (a cube you crumble up and add water to)

Many Thanks

Don

:confused:

Hi there, Here it is either in the form of a cube or in a can. I used canned in this recipe.

Enjoy!

Dawna

Made this for dinner tonight and was it DELICIOUS!! Even DD (who DOES NOT eat soup)gobbled up a hearty bowl full! Told her it was Black Bean Chili and she never knew she was eating soup. :D

This is a keeper...thanks for another great recipe Dawna! thumbup.gif

Robyn

O ne<br />U nplanned<br />C hoice<br />H urts<br /><br />Pre WW Loss 12 lbs<br />WW Start 11/11/02<br />WW loss to date 65.2 lbs<br />Loss this week -0.4 lbs<br />Total loss to date 77.2 lbs

Thanks, Dawna, for this delicious recipe. I made a batch and froze it in individual containers since no one else in my family will eat the salsa.

Oh, and by the way, I drained out all of the bean juice, measured it, and added that much water. It was FABULOUS. I'll be making this again. :D

Mmmmmm.

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

bumping this on up. Haven't made it for a long time so I am putting the ingredients on my shopping list.

Debra

Highest weight 286

If I can dream it, I can be it...

:bike: