Health Discovery Network
Guest Minnesota

Broc./Cauli./Cheese Soup - 1 pt.!

Guest Minnesota

Hey, Buddies:

I received this great-tasting, low-point soup recipe from a recent meeting to share with you:

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Ingredients:

20 oz. frozen broccoli

10 oz. frozen cauliflower

10 oz. frozen carrots

6 tsp. chicken granules

1 tsp. dehydrated onion

12 oz. Velveeta Lite cheese (note that box comes in 16 oz, so you'll have to cut off 1/4)

Cook veggies in 6 cups water, add all ingredients but cheese. Boil for 20 minutes with pot covered.

DO NOT DRAIN. Take pot off burner (mash veggies if desired) and add cheese. Stir together.

1 cup = 1 point

:cool:

This recipe is absolutely wonderful. I've read about it before but somehow in my mind pictured this watery soup... Anyways, I tried it this weekend and it is "to die for" and I agree that it comes out to 1 pt a cup. I used chicken broth instead of water and chick granules and 1 chopped onion instead of dehydr. onion. I couldn't find the carrots so I used 16 oz froz cauliflower, and 2 16oz frozen mix of broc and carrots for the veggies.

Thanks for passing it along :D

Its worth every ounce of determination and self-discipline required to make this a lifestyle!

Highest weight:258

Current weight: 158

This soup is great! I also made it this weekend and I love it. I can hardly believe it is only one point a cup. I ate 3 cups of this on Sunday and 2 cups for lunch on Monday! Plus, I think I'll be having more today.

I added frozen mixed veggies (instead of frozen carrots) for the last bit and added lots of seasoned pepper, Mrs. Dash, Spicy Mrs. Dash and powdered garlic and it is quite a zesty flavorful soup. Delicious and incredibly filling. I've been counting 1 cup of soup as 1 serving of veggies. Does that sound right?

Guest stickchick2b
wave.gif wave.gif This soup is so good!!!YUM!! :D

Guest WCFD52

Another Keeper :D

This was delicious and so easy to make. I put it in storage containers (2 cups in each) and don't think there will be a need to freeze any of it!!

Thanks for the recipe.

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

I have never been able to find Velveeta light so instead I buy the 2% singles (like a 16oz. package) and figure out how many slices makes 12 ounces and cube them up and put them in the soup. They melt just as well and then I won't have a leftover 4 oz. chunk of Velveeta calling my name from the refrigerator. I love Velveeta! Oh and I also puree the soup with a hand blender before I add the cheese.

Anne

I've been in love with this soup for about a year now, my variation is as follows:

2 16oz bags frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix

1 10 oz can Rotel Brand tomatoes & green chillies

10 oz velveta light, cubed

3 15.5 oz cans chicken broth

Boil veggies in broth for 20 min. Revove from heat, stir in cubed cheese until melted. Makes 10 cups @ 1 pt / cup. YUM!!!

I make it for lunch with a 1 point BLT:

2 slices light bread, toasted

1 tbs. fat free mayo

1 tbs. immatation bacon bits

lettuce

tomato slices

Spread 1 slice of toast with mayo, sprinkle bacon bits on top. Layer on lettuce & tomato slices, top with remainig piece of toast. YUM!!!

1 cup soup, 1 BLT sandwich, 2pts. never tasted so good!!!!!!!!!! bcbsalute.gif

The Weight Watchers Queen<br />-- I earned my crown, you can too!!!<br />s148.5/g119/c113.5

Guest Shannon.S

Hi there

Can someone please tell me exactly what Velveeta Lite is. Is it cottage cheese or lite cheese slices? I am in Australia and havn't heard of it and would like to be able to find a substitute.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shannon.

I made this today - very pleasantly surprised - it is delicious!!!!

We don't get lite velveeta in Canada but I took a trip to the U.S. a few weeks back and picked up some there.

Next time in the U.S. I'll have to buy several pkgs and freeze them just for this soup.

:D

Allie<br />Recommitted 01/05/04<br />282.0/272.5/working on 250<br /><br />"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson<br /><br />"Light is the task when many share the toil." - Homer

Made this receipe this weekend, and as everyone has attested, it was wonderful. Very tasty. I will be making this again.

Shannon: Velveta Cheese is a rather soft cheese that comes in a 3# brick form. Tastes like american cheese. I wouldn't know what you would compare it to in Australia, but is not cottage cheese consistency. Good Luck! :D

JeanetteSki

Guest Zurichnee

Could someone tell me how many light cheese slices (or would light cheddar cheese work - maybe it would taste different...points different too?) would make the equivelent of the Velveeta light? I'd love to make this soup but cant' get velveeta light here. Thanks...

Kim

Guest raidermom

Okay....all you guys have peaked my curiosity and you have made my mouth water! I am stopping on the way home tonight from WI to buy the stuff to make this soup! Sounds delicious!

Love, Cheryl

Guest autumnbskt

ok .... Just had to put my 2 cents in also. This soup is fabulous! I was never really fond of the 0 point soup, so here is my substitute! I know it is 1 point but what a wonderful one it is! I had this today for lunch and a slice of home made bread from my bread machine (toasted) and Lf margarine (actually Brummel & Brown brand made from yougut) YUM YUM!!!! 3.5 POINT LUNCH AND I AM STUFFED! A keeper for sure. :D a BCB bcbsalute.gif to the original poster (Minnesota seargeant). Thank you!

wave.gif

Lana

Guest raidermom

Hi.....I finally made this soup and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Also, everyone in this house who complains about the low-fat......LOVE IT!!

I had a hard time finding 10 oz. packages of veggies, so I adjusted the recipe a little. I used 2 16 oz. bags of broccoli, 1 16 oz. cauliflower, 1 16 0z. carrots, brought the water up to 9 cups w/9 tsp. chicken granules, and used the whole 16 oz. of velveeta lite. It still comes out to 1 point.

I had THREE cups for dinner last night! I thought I would have leftovers....but everyone loved this so much it was gone. Thank you Minnesota for posting this! wave.gif

Love, Cheryl

I've seen this soup recipe posted different times, however Velvetta cheese is way too pricey for me here in Ontario. It would cost about $10 here for the cheese alone. Guess you could use something else.

I love the broccoli soup from the WW. cookbook. It's the best. You can use broccoli or a combination of broccoli and cauliflower or just broccoflower alone. It's quite delicious. I was going to make some this week-end, but broccoli is $2 here and cauliflower is close to $4 so will just wait a bit.

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

Guest Jai

I live in Ontario and cannot find Velveeta Lite here so I use Cheese Whiz Lite instead. The soup is great!

Thank you for sharing it with us!

i made this tonite and i can't believe how good

it was!!! i had it with a sandwich and i am so

full! this is a must try if you like type of soup. smile.gif

STARTING WEIGHT 2/28/02 173LBS CW 134-LBS GOAL 130LBS TOTAL 36LBS

I've been hearing everyone rave about this soup for weeks.

We having it tomorrow with the new Meatloaf recipe I just made.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

This soup is AWESOME!!! I haven't made it for a while, and you just reminded me of it, so I will have to get those ingredients together and make a pot before the weather gets too warm.

I use the Rotel tomatoes, too - gives it a little "zing." I also add a little flour and water thickening at the end because I like thick soup, and I don't think the small amount of flour changes the points.

Faith is giving God what you can't handle.<br />-------------------<br />Success is found just outside your comfort zone!! <br />--------------------<br />The one thing worse than a quitter is the person who is afraid to begin.<br />------------------- <br />WW-for-Life (C J) OP 24/7

Guest SuzyQ99

This soup is great! I made it tonight for my family, including my grandma, who is not a low-fat eater! She couldn't believe that it was low points!!

I highly recommend this soup... yum yum. :D

I made this soup tonight... it is as wonderful as you all say! I'm so glad that I tried it! Thanks for posting it! :D

I do have a question, however, regarding the points. By my calculations, this does not come out to be 1 point. What I am doing wrong?

I made a slightly larger batch of this soup... here are the amounts that I used:

2 pounds broccoli

1 pound cauliflower

7 cups water

7 chicken cubes

13.5 ounces Velvetta light

The broccoli, cauliflower, and water are all free, of course. According to the packages, my chicken cubes had 95 calories/0 fat/0 fiber per cube, and the Velvetta light has 60 calories/3 fat/0 fiber per ounce.

Multiplying that out, I get:

7 chicken cubes = 665 cal/0 fat/0 fiber = 13 points

13.5 oz Velvetta light = 810 cal/40.5 fat/0 fiber = 20 points

That means the whole recipe was 33 points. I got 10.5 cups out of this batch, which means 1 cup = 3 points!

Am I calculating something wrong here, or are these numbers correct? There is a big difference in 1 point vs 3 points!

help.gif !!!!!

Laurie Rose

Next goal - 1st 10%

weight.png

SW/HW: 277/277 12/22/10

CW: 275.4

PG: 150

Guest raidermom

Hi Laurie Rose......your nutrition info sounds high so I checked the chicken GRANULES (not sure about the cubes) out and they are 15 calories and .5 fat per teaspoon. That would be 2 points for the 6 tsp. in the recipe. Velveeta Light is 1.5 points per ounce, so for the original recipe amount of 12 ounces, that's 18 points. So now we are at 20 points per recipe. If you are only getting 10 cups, then it would be 2 points per cup. I usually get more than that for this recipe.....maybe you could try adding a little more water or some chicken broth to stretch it out a little.

PS I did find my bouillon cubes........my label says O CALORIES! I think that's where the problem is, try checking your label again or find a new brand! :eek: ;)

Hope this helps...

Love, Cheryl

Cheryl,

Thanks so much for responding. My bouillon is indeed 95 calories per cube... so I will obviously be shopping for new bouillon! It's amazing to me just how different brands can be. :eek:

That's actually why I calculate each and every recipe that I made, because I've found many that have been a little higher in points or a little lower in points, depending on the brands I'm using. I don't take points for granted! I want to be sure and count the right amount of points for everything that goes into my mouth!

Anyway, this soup is awesome... even at 3 points per cup! LOL

BTW... 10 cups of soup is a lot to eat in a few days! How long does it last in the fridge? Has anyone frozen this soup? Does it freeze well?

TIA!

Laurie Rose

Next goal - 1st 10%

weight.png

SW/HW: 277/277 12/22/10

CW: 275.4

PG: 150

Guest Minnesota

Bumping to top...

smile.gif

I made this soup today and it's great! I used light Cheeze Wiz because we don't velveeta light here and it turned out very well.

I am also interested to know if it freezes well. DH likes it too, but with just the two of us (we don't have kids yet) it will take a while to eat all of it.

Kelly

I have 2 beautiful girls!

Nicole born Oct 24/03 (4 1/2 years old)

Julia born Dec 19/05 (2 1/2 years old)