Health Discovery Network
Guest KimmyKat

1 Point potato soup

Guest Lucille Van Pelt

I used the 14 1/2 oz cans of chicken broth.

I absolutely adore this! I made it tonight and will serve it for dinner tomorrow, I'm going to go and get the fixings for the loaded baked potato soup...that's a great idea. Tomorrow night will be an amazing dinner... this soup, a chicken recipe from here and baked cherry apples (also a recipe from here). Thankfully I'm not in 'diet mentality'...I think I've finally figured out lifestyle change and I like it!

Thank you all all for all of the wonderful suggestions for this...it is my favorite soup and I love this recipe for it!

Jeannette

total loss: 88

Twoterville 12/8/06

OVER 20% LOST

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Chinese Proverb.

Can anyone tell me if the McCormick country gravy mix is a powdered mix or is it something else, I didn't see it at my Butera, but maybe Jewel would have it...

Thanks!

Jen :wave:

SW: 256

CW: 165

GW: 155

Started WW June 1, 2005

Total Pounds Lost: 91

Turn your face to the sun and you won't see the shadows

I can't find it either. I have been looking in the gravy aisle at both the jarred and powdered gravy. I would like to know if it is powdered, or if there are any suggestions for substitutions. I have been wanting to make this soup for awhile now.

Thanks!

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

It is powdered! It's in with the other McCormick gravy mixes (meatloaf mixes, stew seasonings, stuff like that.) checkLocalOnLoad(); 290_6286_gravysausg.gif

checkLocalOnLoad();

It's a white powdery type of spicy sausage gravy mix ... i'm not sure of what else you could use ... you could always try flour and seasonings, but i'm not sure of how much you'd use! checkLocalOnLoad();

Their web site says they also have a "peppered country gravy" mix .. that is white based.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

I finally made this today for my lunches this week. I could not find the Sausage, Peppered or Original Country Gravy. I decided to try the White Sauce Mix, which was slightly lower in calories. To replace the sausage flavor I sprinkled a small amount of imitation bacon bits. The soup was delicious. DH and I had it for a snack when he came home from work. I will still continue to search for the Country Gravy.

:bcbsalute MT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I totally forgot about this soup!! Before my DH went low carb, I made this all the time, we absolutely loved it!!!

Patience (11/1/11)

Sean-8

Sara-5

Samantha-2

314/302/180

-12 :bcb_up

Next WI - 11/28/11 (goal -2)

Couldn't find the low-fat version, so my soup is two points per cup, but two cups is VERY filling. LOVE the ease of preparation-gave my sister the recipe over the phone, she was saying "wait, let me find a pen", and then said "Heck, I can remember THAT" lol.

Thanks!

Latebloomer

I used Ore Ida potatoes o'brien and the peppered gravy. Actually a little spicy when all is said and done, no salt or pepper needed. A pretty good soup, my roommate liked it too. Not very filling for me, I guess I need more protein.

Erin (Princess Dirty Bird)

just wondering, if you cut the recipe in half will the points still stay the same, my family is not big on soup at all, and i don't want a whole pot to go to waste, if anyone can help this would be greatly appreciated!! i would love to try it but don't want to make that large of a pot!! thanks

I would think the points would stay the same........ you are just making less....I just made a big pot of the soup and it is delicious!! I ended up cooking both 32 oz bags of hashbrowns seperately (too much for one skillet), after cooking those I threw them in a big pot, added the gravy and 4 cans of FF broth. I can't wait for dinner!!! I also have some FF cheddar to top it off!

By the way, I used No-fat Country gravy mix by Pioneer. I also used store brand broth and hash brown potatos.

I use: 1- 32 oz package of frozen hashbrown potatoes (cubed)

obrien's are great too (but dd won't eat it then).

1-49 1/2 oz can of Swansons Chicken Broth (or 4 regular cans)

1-pkg of (Williams) Country Gravy Mix (original) when I can't find the McCormicks LF brand...

Throw it all in a large pot and simmer for about 40 minutes. As an add in I sometimes add: Diced Cure 81 Ham, or liquid smoke when I want the smokey flavor but no added points from the ham. I don't brown the potatoes or anything special but it sure tastes great.

Be your own best friend every day.

Ooh, this sounds SO YUMMY!! I can't wait to give it a try this weekend. And since my DD8 is a big creamy soup lover, maybe she'll even eat this too?!

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I let the soup sit on the stove on low all day......well, it got a little thick! It was more like mashed potatos by the time we ate! I had to add milk to my husbands and kids so they would eat it! I froze the left overs and will add more chicken broth when I defrost it and eat it again!

It is powdered! It's in with the other McCormick gravy mixes (meatloaf mixes, stew seasonings, stuff like that.) checkLocalOnLoad(); 290_6286_gravysausg.gif

checkLocalOnLoad();

It's a white powdery type of spicy sausage gravy mix ... i'm not sure of what else you could use ... you could always try flour and seasonings, but i'm not sure of how much you'd use! checkLocalOnLoad();

Their web site says they also have a "peppered country gravy" mix .. that is white based.

I made it with this gravy and the soup has some kick to it, even without adding any seasoning of my own. In fact, it has so much "kick" that I know my DD8 won't like it (but I do!). I had to use regular Orida southern style potatoes...anyone know how many points per cup this would amount to?

"Do", or "Do Not". There is no "Try".

- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I don't think the points value on this soup is correct. First of all, how many servings does this soup make? I can't find ff gravy mix anywhere either. When I add everything together, I am getting at least 3 - 4 points per serving.

Amanda

CW: ??? GW: 130

This soup is awesome. But, I am wondering about the points as well. Does anyone have master cook to run the recipe through? I also couldn't find ff gravy mix and used regular powdered mix. It is just too tastey to be only a point.

:wave:Kris: Proud mom of 3 little ones

Started: 12/7/05

sw: 210:ugh:

:workout: CW: 153

1st 10 lbs.1/11

2nd Star & 10% 2/8

3rd Star 3/15

4th Star & 20%4/12

5th Star 6/14

Total loss: -57:goal:

Goal: 145

Guest eeyore-mn

:help:

I'm very confused after reading all these emails. :confused:

Are you supposed to use 2 - 32 oz. packages of hash browns for a total of 64 ozs? Also, do you use 4 - 15 1/2 oz cans of chicken broth and 1 pkg of country gravy mix? The serving sizes would be 1 cup for 1 point? Am I understanding this correctly? Please let me know because I would really love to make this. I'm suffering from a nasty cold and this sounds like just what I need.

Thanks so much in advance and for sharing this recipe.

Terry-

Yes, you use two bags of potatos, 4 cans of broth, and one package of gravy mix. I had to use two skillets to cook all the potatos! This soup is very good. I was able to find FF gravy at my grocery. Enjoy and hope you get to feeling better!

Guest eeyore-mn

Thanks a bunch! I'm feeling better already knowing that a yummy, comforting soup is on the way.:exercise:

This is what I used:

32 oz frozen hash brown potatoes

56 oz fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 4 cans)

74 gm Durkee Country Gravy Mix (that is what I could find on WW Recipe Builder, but the grams are equal to my Country Sausage Gravy Mix [not FF])

And, for 10 1-cup servings, mine came out to 2.5 points per 1-cup serving. I do not know that the fat-free gravy mix would make that much of a difference? Who knows?

But, it is still great! And filling!

Christine

208.2/169.5/144

SW/CW/WW Goal (PG TBD)

Hmmm...I just made this from the recipe someone gave me with only 1 bag of hash browns, and it came out GREAT!! I stirred in about 3 oz. of RF velveeta cheese, then blended it all with my immersion blender. YUM!! :D

And for someone who can't cook, this is amazing!

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

I just made the soup for the second go around and this time it turned out much better!! Last time I misunderstood and used two 32 oz. bags of hashbrowns and it turned out like mashed potatoes! Still good but a little (a lot actually) on the thick side..........LOL This time I used one 32 oz bag and it turned out awesome! Sprinkled a little tobasco on top and it was good to go!