Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Gemini648

New, asking for guidance, menus

Hi! I'm returning to WW and also to vegetarianism. I was lacto-ovo for five years, then stopped for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I GAINED weight -- nearly 30 pounds -- eating vegetarian. (I ate too much butter, bread and butter, potatoes and butter, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.)

If there are people here interested in vegetarianism and not just vegetables smile.gif, could I ask if you have any tips -- any meals that have become staples, how you divide your points, and perhaps menus?

Thank you!

Gem

Hmm. Where to start? I just responded to Abby's post above, and guess I would recommend the same to you. Whether you're eating meat or not, you still have to count your points. I pretty much just search for vegetarian recipes that sound good to me, and then try them. If it's good, I add it to my favorite recipes. I don't really do anything different for vegetarian meals than I do for my "regular with meat" meals. I'm not big into Tofu, but I love veggie burgers/soy burgers and the soy crumbles that resemble ground beef. I've recently discovered portobello mushrooms, so I did a search on the internet and came up with several delicious vegetarian meals for them. As a matter of fact, I just had a Portobello Hamburger smile.gif.

I pretty much divide my points (18-23) by giving myself 6-7 for breakfast and lunch, 3-4 for snacks/fruit, and the rest for supper. A Portobello or Soy hamburger can be as little as 2-3 points, and is very filling! Add steamed asparagus, broccoli, and/or cauliflower, plus a side of rice, and you've got a very good supper.

I hope this helps. Somehow, I think you were asking for a little more support from vegetarians, so I'm sorry if I didn't do you much good! Good luck!

SB

147 current/125 goal