Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Nutty Grain Salad With Currants And Dill

This is for FeelGr8 who is looking for wheat berry recipes!

This is from Lorna Sass, "The Pressured Cook":

Serves 4-6

4-5 C. freshly cooked grains

2 C. grated carrots

1 C. snipped or finely chopped fresh dill

1/2 C. fine-dice red onion or thin-sliced scallions

1/2 C. chopped toasted pecans or hazelnuts

1/2 C. dried currants, briefly plumped in hot water

3 TBS. walnut, hazelnut, or canola oil

3 TBS. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, adjustin the oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste.

(Sorry, I haven't pointed this yet, but it gives you a GREAT idea on how to put together a cold grain salad!)

Lorna Sass: "This colorful salad works well with most grains, but I particularly like to use a combination of barley and brown rice, or wheat berries. The salad tastes best when the grains have been cooked in slightly salted water.

For optimum taste, let the dressed grains sit for about 15 minutes before serving. Pop any refrigerated left-overs into the micro (lightly covered with waxed paper) for about 30 seconds to soften and rehydrate the grains. Then freshen salad with additional lemon juice."

TEX-MEX GRAIN SALAD:

Substitute cilantro for the dill, toasted pumpkin seeds for the pecans (add at last minute to preserve crunchiness) and chopped pimento-stuffed olives for the currants. Dress with olive oil and freshly squeezed lime juice. Add salt and Tabasco sauce to taste.

TEX-MEX GRAIN AND BEAN SALAD:

Follwo the variation above. Add 1 1/2 C. cooked black or pinto beans. Increase oil/vinegar to taste.

wave.gif kiss.gif Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile