Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
BEARS

* A * is for Asparagus, veg of week 3-30-04

Somebuddy did a similar thread here at bcb quite some time ago. Thought I'd like to try another. I plan to highlight a different veggie each week, alphebetically. We will start with asparagus, which I absolutely adore! I even have an asparagus bed in my yard.

My favorite way to eat asparagus is steamed with browned butter, simple, yet so delicious.

Comments, questions, recipes and ideas welcomed and encouraged.

Sheryl

Asparagus Facts, Selection, and Storage

About Asparagus: Asparagus is a green vegetable that resembles a spear with a budding head. Native to the Mediterranean region, the entire spear is edible. Cato gave excellent growing instructions for asparagus as early as 200 BC. White asparagus comes from the process of etiolation, which is the deprivation of light.

Botanical Name: Asparagus officinalis, is derived from the Greek asparagos and the Persian asparag, referring to tender spears or shoots.

Common and Other Names: asparagus, speargrass, spargel, esparrago, asperge, asparago, espargos

Asparagus Availability: Although fresh asparagus is available year-round in most markets, prime season is in spring, from February to June with April being the most active harvest month in the northern hemisphere.

Asparagus Selection: Select firm, straight, smooth, rich green stalks with tightly-closed tips. Ridges in the stems and a dull green color are an indication of old age. The stalks should not be limp or dry at the cut. Choose stalks of uniform thickness for more control in the cooking process.

Asparagus Varieties and Forms: Common asparagus varieties include green asparagus, violet or purple asparagus, and wild asparagus. Asparagus is available fresh, frozen, and canned.

Asparagus Storage: Do not wash asparagus before storing and never soak it. Trim the ends of fresh asparagus and stand them upright in a jar with about an inch of water in the bottom. Cover with a plastic bag and store spears in the refrigerator for up to two days.

Miscellaneous Asparagus Information: Many chefs peel the lower stalks to avoid any woody strings, but others insist this is not necessary with properly selected, thin, fresh asparagus. Peeling is recommended for thicker stalks.

For more info, tips and recipes try,

http://www.asparagus.org

[ April 12, 2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: BEARS ]

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives"...Annie Dillard<br /><br />190/141/143.5/135<br />sw/wwg/cw/pg 5'3"<br /><br />SD 9-17-02/LT 7-22-03

I love aspauragus too! This is a great idea for a thread btw!

I like to eat asparagus steamed also. I spray it with fat free butter and squeeze fresh lemon juice over it. It is delicious!

Anyone else have any other ways of eating/preparing asparagus?

Candice

Mom to Kayley Elizabeth 1/29/05

I absolutely LOVE Asparagus. Most of the time I just steam it and spray with ICBINB spray. Here is another recipe that I found that I really like:

Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter

40 asparagus spears, trimmed (about 2 pounds)

Cooking spray

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons butter

2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400°.

Arrange asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until tender.

Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and vinegar. Drizzle over the asparagus, tossing well to coat. Serve immediately.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 5 spears)

NUTRITION PER SERVING

CALORIES 45 (60% from fat); FAT 3g (sat 1.8g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1.9g; CARB 3.9g; FIBER 1.7g; CHOL 8mg; IRON 0.7mg; SODIUM 134mg; CALC 18mg;

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2001

Re-committed: 12/20/03<br />SW: 192.4<br />CW: 159.0<br />Lost to Date: 33.4<br />10% : 3/13/04<br />GW: 135

(drool drool)

I too love asparagus.

Here's my favorite way to have it:

Roast aspargus with small amount of oil.

Toss with thyme, lemon juice, orange juice, and cayene pepper.

Nicole

DD Josephine Kyle born March 10, 2005

"You did what you knew how to do. And when you knew better, You did better." - Maya Angelou.

Goal! November 2006

On the journey back.

I'm another asparagus-lover! Some of my favorite ways to eat it:

-Stir-fried with onions and garlic over whole wheat pasta or bulgar

-With goat cheese in an omelette!

-Steamed and tossed with a teaspoon of butter and salt, then refrigerated

Yum yum!

Suzie :salut

I also grow asparagus in 2 4'X 8' beds~

Mmmm-mmmm!

Roasting is my preference.

Plus, fresh asparagus soup was a-mazing. But I need to find a "healthy" way to make it~

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile