Health Discovery Network
Dina W

Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken

Guest Doodleday

This was delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

I too didn't need to add the cornstarch. I served it over brown rice and loved it.

I cannot wait to try this one!

DH will be shocked and amazed that I cooked something so tasty, I'm sure! I'm not the cook in the family...but now OP I'm starting!

Thanks for the recipe! wave.gif

robsgirl26 A moment on the lips, forever on the hips...it's easier to tape an M&M to your behind!

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here. DH and I both thought this was merely an ok receipe. I probably will not be repeating it. And we like mexican-flavored dishes! Can't imagine what I did wrong. It's a very easy receipe, so I think it would be pretty hard to mess things up. ugh.gif

JeanetteSki

I had some frozen and brought it out tonight for a fast supper. I posted before that I thought it was too salty and that opinion hasn't changed at all. Mind you, I sure drank the water after! I stirfried a whole pile of vegetables and shredded the chicken - added it to the veg and then piled it on a corn tortilla. It was OK, but I think if I make the basic recipe again, I'd try chili powder, etc. - not taco seasoning - and cook it for less time. Sheila

Guest tragan

I cannot believe how yummy this is! My DD thinks it it great also. It is so easy. I usually have it with lowfat flour tortillas.

Tiffany

I made this the other night. My Dh really liked it and he had it as leftovers. This was the first time I had made chicken in my crockpot. It was excellent.

SW 178<br />CW 137<br />GW 134<br /> Reached goal on 9/02. Recommitted 12/30. Goal by 2/16...cruise vacation !<br />If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

I saw this recipe this morning and just had to try it. Of course I didn't read it all the way through first and ended up putting all the ingredients into the crockpot. It is simmering and my whole house smells heavenly even as I type this message. It has already thickened and looks delicious. I plan to make some spanish rice and pinto beans to go with it. I know my hubby will love it.

I finally tried this recipe last night and it was awesome. I found it a little salty as well, but will try it with chili powder as someone else mentioned.

I also cooked it on high for about five hours and it was fine.

I can't believe how the chicken just fell apart.

And my DB loved the recipe!!! It is so easy that it will be something we eat often.

Charmaine

-------------------------------------

TTC#1

gw/140

cw/181.8

Guest cfisher

This recipe was delicious! Just had it for dinner today. I love using the crockpot-it's so easy! I don't really know how to cook, so it was nice to just throw everything in there and turn it on. I'll definitely be making this again soon! :D

Guest lindalou9

Am trying this for the first time today. Couldn't find reduced sodium taco seasoning, so I just sprinkled the chicken breasts with some chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder, then added the salsa. So far, it smells heavenly. I'm a big fan of Mexican food. Will most likely serve it over brown rice with a little bit of ff refried beans.

Linda bcbsalute.gif

Well we finally tried this recipe. It was so good!!! I only used half the packet of taco seasoning and didnt even need the cornstarch.

When it was finished I took out the chicken breasts and shredded them then put them back in the pot and mixed it up.

We served it rolled up in wheat tortillas!! Yumm YUmm!!!

Sincerely,

Carla

~Food wasted is better than food waisted!

~Iceberg lettuce is perhaps the most aptly named plant in the world and should be avoided as though you were the Titanic with a second chance.

Guest Tracy2002

Yum! I fixed this yesterday for dinner and my husband and I both loved it! We went ahead and just used half of the packet of taco seasoning since we don't like food to be really spicy. I think it kept the good flavor but lessened the spice which was perfect for us. I cooked the chicken for 4 hours and it was just right, not too dry. I served it over rice with brussel sprouts for a great OP meal. If you haven't tried it after all of these positive posts, then what are you waiting for...try it! smile.gif

Tracy

Guest HersheyBars

Dear opus99 -

In response to your message, I think I have an idea:

I always set my crock pot on HIGH for the first hour of all of my recipes, even when I cook a recipe saying LOW setting.

For example:

Recipe says: cook on LOW 8 hours

I will cook it on HIGH 1 hour, then cook it on LOW 7 more hours (so total cooking time/hours is the same, just that I cook it on HIGH the 1st hour...)

The meat and poultry always seems to come up very tender and moist this way - - Maybe the high heat setting seals in juices a bit more, somehow?

Hope it helps!

Cherie

opus99

Private

Member # 5774

posted June 19, 2001 01:15 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried this yesterday for the first time and thought it had a wonderful flavor. The only problem I had was that the chicken was really dry (I had actually put it in the crockpot frozen). I have the same problem when I made the Chicken Stroganoff recipe with Cream of Mushroom soup. My crockpot is set on low and it does cook until I come home which is easily 8 hours. Any ideas about how to keep the chicken moist?

Opus99

OK, I have to chime in here. I made this for the first time this week and OMG I loved it. Mine cooked almost 10 hours (didn't get home when I thought I would) anyway the chicken shredded very easy, I had mine over baked chips it was sooooo good.

Becky

"Every moment is an opportunity to succeed."

This is really a hot topic, aye?

I would have to say that the first time I cooked this (my first crockpot experience ever)... i thought the chicken was dry.. and the pkg of taco seasoning WAY too much. And me and my DH are lovers of the hot and spicy. Well, we talked about it and here's the changes we made.

Used our own (well, my DH's own) mix instead of the taco seasoning.

Used hot and spicy salsa

Cooked it for only 6 hours. Probably could have cooked it for only 5.

Let me tell you, it was AWESOME. We loved it. Definately a keeper.

~Lisa

HW 209

SW 199

CW 178.0

GW 153.0

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

~Buddha

Guest ClaremoreZebraBandMom0407

I guess after 90 something replies - I'm going to have to try this. pulling the chickent out of the freezer now.

Guest ClaremoreZebraBandMom0407

I had to come back and let you know that I loved this recipe. I served it over brown rice and had WoW tortilla chips. Excellent

Ok -- just have to add that I made this for dinner last night and it was a HUGE hit with both me and my husband! Thanks!

Guest rikkiann

This is fantastic!!! Even DH loved it... :cool:

Guest Beth613

I have GOT to try this! DH and I love spicy food and the suggestion to shred the chicken and put it in a 1 pt. tortilla sounds great! smile.gif

Guest shannon35

Yum! This sounds wonderful! I have been looking at this recipe but I didn't have a crockpot. Today though, I went to my parents house and "borrowed" theirs since they said they haven't used it in probably 5 years. I am trying this tomorrow.

Shannon :D

bcbsalute.gif TTT for mystic sound! bcbsalute.gif

~~IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE, YOU'LL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN~~

WE HAVE MORE POWER WITHIN US, THAN ANYONE ON THIS EARTH HAS OVER US!

Highest weight:202(1993)

Start weight #1:193.4(1996)

Start weight #2:169.6(2/00)

Goal:1/18/03(136 lbs)

Lifetime:3/1/03

CW:162.6

PG:128

After 98 post I decide I needed to try this. My chicken was too dry and I must have used the wrong taco seasoning, because it wasn't hot at all. I was disappointed. sobbing.gif

Sarah

Sarah

196.8/173/150/140

Start(first time W/I)/Current/WWGoal/Personal Goal

April 26, 2008 Began my journey back to Goal.

5-9-08 Began Core

10-25-08-Made goal

12-4-08-Made Lifetime

11-29-09-Starting again