Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
LegalEagle

CROCK POT TURKEY BREAST

Today I made a 9 1/2 pound, bone-in, breast of turkey In my new Rival 7qt. oval crock pot, for my fussy father-in-law.

I had been told that once you make turkey in your crock pot, you will never make it in your oven again. Well, I don't know about that but, holy cow! It was easy and absolutely delicious. It passed my father-in-laws test.

When he first saw it he said "Oh, turkey in a crock pot? I was a little nervous because he is very outspoken when a meal is not right (fortunately, he does not visit often). Fortunately too, my DH is NOTHING like him.

Of course, I couldn't wait to come here to tell you all.

Here goes

I sprayed my crockpot with butter, spray, lightly. Unwrapped the turkey (which was fresh, not frozen). Washed the turkey inside and out, and placed it in the crock breast side up. I mixed 1/2 cup wine with 1 package of McCormick, dry mushroom gravy. I started the turkey on High-and left it on high for 2 hours. Then I turned the crock down to low, and cooked it for 6 hours. I did baste it several times with the sauce, towards the end of the cooking. Before I served it I check the internal temperature to make sure it was at least 185. It was 200. It was the best turkey I had ever made, and the gravy was all ready, just the way it was.

I got compliments from everyone. In fact, I cooked the whole meal in crockpots. I served the turkey with little crock roasted, red potatoes, with a special seasoning, and I made a delicous chocolate dessert in my crockette.

Yes, I am really into crocking right now.

and of course, I pointed everything for myself.

Gravy - 2=points 1/2 cup

Turkey - 4 oz. = 4 points

I did not eat the potatoes - I had 1/2 cup of cranberry sauce instead, and I did not have the chocolate dessert. I was too full.

I had something small to eat before dinner so that my eating would be under control when I sat down.

later - Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I have read on another post and then my friend too, telling me they do a turkey breast in the crock pot. I must try this. I only buy the breast any more for just the 2 of us. This also would be great when we travel in the RV to have lots of sandwich makins. My friend doesn't even add any liquid when she does hers.

ann p

On Monday I cooked a turkey breast with stuffing in my Rival 6 1/2 Qt. crockpot. I put the stuffing on the bottom (stovetop low sodium) and then one bag of baby peeled carrots next to the stuffing on the other side, the turkey breast on top with a can of Health Choices mushroom soup on top of that. I didn't add any additonal liquid, my last recipe in the crockpot was way to watery. I am getting the hang of it slow but sure. I will have to buy another crockpot to do potatoes in foil, but what will it do to my electricity bill running two crockpots???

Sandy

Your dinner sounds wonderful!

Two questions--kind of off topic. Where do you find the Crockettes? I haven't seen one in a long time.

What kind of dessert can you make in it?

Frankly--I wouldn't mind duplicating your exact dinner. I think it would be a big hit.

I found the crockette at k-Mart. It was $9.99. Today I also saw it at Target for the same price.

My 7qt oval crock also came from K-Mart. I think it is perfect for turkeys. I am going to try another 9 1/2 pound turkey in it next weekend, with a different recipe I have.

If I didn't mention it, one of the nicest things about making the turkey in my crock was the clean-up. Compared to an oven-cooked turkey, there wasn't any. Even the gravy was made in the crock.

My goal is to have my turkey dinner in the crock perfected for Thanksgiving.

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Guest 40lbsgone4evr

My favorite crockpot recipe since being OP is extra lean pork tenderloin with potatoes, carrots, and onions. 4oz meat is only 3pts. and it melts in your mouth. I rinse the meat and pat dry, season with garlic powder, put in crock pot with a can of FF beef broth, add baby carrots, new potatoes and a chopped onion and cook on low all day. 6-8 hours.

I also like Barzi's red beans and spice just dump it in and add water before I go to work. When I get home I add a can of mild green chiles and a chopped onion and let it cook another hour. Great over steamed rice. Leftovers make wonderful quesadillas too.

$0lbs - What are Barzi's red beans and spice? I have never heard of this. What section would it be in, in the supermarket?

This recipe sounds great, right up my family's alley, if I can find those Barzi's.

On a different note, in a previous post re.the crockpot turkey, someone asked what it would do to their electricity bill to run two crockpots at once. Absolutely nothing. Crockpots run for pennies a day. That's another nice thing about them.

Guest maribeth

I'm really late, in terms of responding to this, but I have used the crockpot to cook my own turkey for those holidays I am going to be dining with family or friends. I just start it before I leave the house, it cooks while I'm away, then I turn it off when I get home, let it cool a little and package it for the fridge. I end up with OP plan-overs (turkey breast only, not that tempting dark meat I love), and since I'm only cooking a breast, I can use all of it before the meat can spoil.

One more advantage of using the crock pot for the turkey, it leaves your oven, stove top and microwave free for all those other foods we seem to want to include for holiday meals.

Maribeth

Guest destiny252
kiss.gif LegalEagle, wow...that was a great way to cook the Turkey breast and it was excellent! I liked to keep the breast down in the juices from the wine and mushroom gravy. Thanks a bunch bcbsalute.gif smile.gif kiss.gif

I use fat-free cream of mushroom w/my turkey breast in the crockpot...yummy! Some of your ideas do sound interesting though...I like new ideas!

My leftovers go into homemade soup!

~~anne

God Bless America!!

This sounds like a great recipe. I have a question. My crockpot is a 6 quart round. Is that too small for this? Anyone know what size would fit good in that? I would love to try a turkey in my crock.

Thanks!

ChocoGirl help.gif

210/146.4/140

I tried this and it worked GREAT. And the leftovers did not last too long in my house. Dh and our unmarried friend that lives with us ensured that. LOL!

Ladies, we also tried a beef roast w/gravy, baby carrots, new potatoes and pearl onions... and that didn't last too long either! Mmmmmm smile.gif

TracyD

HW/SW: 253.2 (6/15/10)

CW: 195.8

WI Tuesday mornings

My goal 10,000 fitness minutes in 2011.

How does everyone know how long and on what setting to cook on? I am so new to this, but can NOT wait!!!

embarrassed.gif

Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu

Hi Jamie, wave.gif

If you look at the original post up at the top here, it says the temp. & time.

Let me know how you like it please.

Bon Appetit!

Dawna

Legal Eagle, you are an artist... A food artist that is. I am so new to crock cooking and this was my first turkey ever. DH loved it, cant believe its healthy since it is so moist.

It sat in the juices and was just perfect! I made a breast for the 2 of us, which lasted for 2 meals for him and one for me, so this was a homerun.

You Bootcamp buddies are the best... Now I am getting all misty! sobbing.gif

Jamie<br /><br />"The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become." <br />-- Ashley Montagu

Thank you for the compliment. kiss.gif

Bon Appetit!

Dawna

I am also late to this posting, but just wanted to say I have a turkey breast in the crock pot right now. Since joining WW my husband and I try to eat red meat 1 time a week. So, we do turkey a lot around our house. It is easy to fit into a salad.....or sandwich, or even a cassarole. But the crock pot is the only way I cook the turkey breast anymore.

Mary wave.gif

SW 296<br />CW 236 1/2<br />Dr.s goal 180<br />Marys goal 150<br /><br />A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.<br />Mary