Health Discovery Network
LegalEagle

Deli Roasted Chicken

i made this chickent tonight and it was awesome! very much like the precooked deli chicken you would buy in a supermarket, dh and dd loved it and dh is going to use the leftover chicken to make soup tomorrow, glad i tried it, will definitely make again.

Jamie :workout:

Guest Hailey

Dawna this sounds excellent, Thanks for sharing!

Guest April32

I only read the first and last page of this thread so this question may have been asked b4. What does the chicken come out looking like? My family is BIG on LOOKS of food. I'd love to give this recipe a try!

Bumping up! Made this for dinner tonight (always a fave!!!)!

YUMMIE!!!

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

I do not know if this has been asked as I have not read all the posts. I was wondering if the foil is to keep the chicken out of the grease. I have a metal rack that fits in my crockpot that keeps meat out of the grease and I was wondering if that would work just as well.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Apparently you have to use foil, according to this post.

Hi Lana,

With regard to the deli-chicken, I have only made it in my 7 qt. oval crock. I'm not sure how it would come out if you cooked it in something else.

I'm sure you could use a 4-qt.crock, however, you would have to get a much smaller chicken. My 7 qt. oval holds an 8-9 pound chicken. I also cook turkey in it. It cost $39.99 at K-Mart (that is the only place I have seen it), and it is worth every penny.

Now, as for the foil....all I can tell you is that before I got this recipe, I tried cooking the chicken without foil and just sitting on an

insert I put in the crock. The chicken did not taste like the deli-chicken. In fact, everyone complained that the chicken had a different consistency than when it is cooked in the oven. No one liked it. Once I found the deli-chicken recipe, I was off to the races. Everyone raves about it.

Also, since I am not too crazy about using the drippings from the pan that the foil has been sitting in, I have come up with a terrific, pointed of course, gravy to go with the deli-chicken. I'm going to post it now.

later......Dawna

Latebloomer

Bumping up. I made this today and it was DELICIOUS! I don't know if I'll ever make a whole chicken in the oven again. :p

Thanks so much for sharing!!! :D:D:D

Erin

It's time to fight and focus. I am worth the fight. I am strong and I can do this.

PS - I am going to use the leftovers to make chicken salad. YUMMMMMM

Erin

It's time to fight and focus. I am worth the fight. I am strong and I can do this.

Bumping for dinner tonight- with a LIGHT coating of BBQ sauce (like 2 tbs)!! Smells DIVINE!!!!

Jeannette

"I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger will know no bounds", but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers." Ianto Jones, Torchwood

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I wonder if they would dry out? I am also wondering how you get the taste of the seasoning if you take the skin off after cooking. I read that one person put the seasoning between the skin and the meat. Do you find that you still get the flavoring if you just put the seasoning on the skin? Should I be putting seasoning in the cavity, too?

This recipe is getting raves! I can't wait to try it!

firechick139:wave:

sw 214/cw 194/wwgw 155/pgw 148

:D "DON'T WAIL ON THE SCALE IF YOU CHEAT WHEN YOU EAT!" :D

"Needing to lose 70lbs seems overwhelming to me. So, I'm going to lose 1lb - 70 times. That, I know I can do"

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."- Confuscious

Fixed this for dinner today. Stuck a medium lemon inside the cavity while cooking and it made the chicken breast soooo moist and juicy.. yummm!!!

Can't wait to cook this again. Will be great with BBQ sauce or on salads.

J

30 pounds to go until GW!!

Question:

I have a 4lb chicken and am going home on my lunch break to put it in. Would cooking it on high from 12:15 to 5:45 be too long? Or should I cook on low?

TIA!

Deb Hockey_LRWYUX.gif

SW: 263.2 (5/2/05)

CW: 208 (1/12/08)

minigoal: under 200

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts? I wonder if they would dry out? I am also wondering how you get the taste of the seasoning if you take the skin off after cooking. I read that one person put the seasoning between the skin and the meat. Do you find that you still get the flavoring if you just put the seasoning on the skin? Should I be putting seasoning in the cavity, too?

This recipe is getting raves! I can't wait to try it!

I dont eat the skin, so I tried the suggestion of rubbing the seasoning UNDER the skin, and it helped a lot. I recommend doing that!

Deb, I made a smaller one when I did this, and I still did it on high, it came out perfect :) enjoy.

Tracy

HW: 196.2

GW: 140-150

CW: 193.4 (11/9/09)

Total Loss: -2.8lbs

This recipe does work with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

I also cooked a turkey breast this way with great results.

Lynette

This sounds too good to pass up. But I'll have to wait until after all the turkey is gone.

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

just bumping this one up. it is absolutely delicious and is both flex and core. if you have nver eaten this you really must. i like this so much better than the rotiserrie chicken you can buy at a deli.

GOD BLESS,

LISA M

I'm going to use this (and report back) the next time there is a roasting chicken on sale. WOuld love to get that result. Thanks

marge

SW: 206

GW: 146

CW: 166. 8:bcb_march

40#: 2/5; 45# 4/1; 50# 4/29

weight.png

Hi all.....

I've always wanted to try this recipe, but I keep hesitating in that I think that without any liquid etc., the crock will get "too hot" and the insert sleeve crack. (Or the crock will become a fire hazard.....even though it is a fairly new one) Am I alone with this concern ? Or is this just not an issue ???

Karen

HERE WE GO AGAIN !! :bcbkickbu

STGoal #1: 200 lbs

Losses to date: 8.3 lbs