Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
MeganE

Slow Cooker Buying Suggestions

I'm looking to buy a slow cooker soon. I think I'm leaning to a 4-5 qt size. (I'm single but like to entertain. Also interested in keeping leftovers for tempting and low-point lunches.) I've been advised that the 6 qt is unwieldy and heavy.

Any comments on brands or features? Round vs. oval? Overall opinions?

Thanks!

I really like my 6 quart Nesco brand slow cooker. It has a temperature control so you can slow cook, bake, and roast. It is an oval shape. It is not heavy due to that there is not heavy ceramic insert. The insert for the Nesco is made of metal and it has a non-stick coating. I use for a variety of things. Roasted chicken is excellent (whole or pieces). Spaghetti sauce or beef stew. It comes with a handy booklet. My friend just bought one after seeing how much I use mine.

Recommit (11/27/01)

The last time I was at Wal Mart, they had a big oval shaped crock pot for $14.96 (I don't know if it was the Nesco brand, but for $14.96 I'd check!!)

I have one of the old ones with the heavy ceramic insert. I think my next one will come from Wal Mart smile.gif

Linda bcbsalute.gif

CW: 181.4<br />GW: 141<br /><br />Do or do not...there is no try<br />yoda

I also vote for the 6QT Nesco. It is wonderful. I love the size and that fact that it's so much more than a slow cooker. I have even used mine to bake a loaf a bread when I didn't want to heat up the house in the summer. You will love it!

Kt wave.gif

This is a great thread. I have two crockpots, but they're both heavy ceramic and, I think, they're both Rivals. I don't even know what size they are! One is round, the other is oval. I use both of them a lot, but I'm tired of the "heaviness", so I might ask Santa to bring me one of those Nescos! Now, what to do with those old ceramic ones: Plant Pots maybe?

SB

147 current/125 goal

Here's another vote for the roaster ovens vs. crockpots. I had an old 4 quart Rival crockpot, the round kind, and decided I wanted a larger oval shaped one so I could do a whole bird in it. When I went shopping at Target, I discovered that Rival made an 8 quart roaster oven with a temperature control on it that goes from 150 to 450 degrees. It also has the nonstick metal liner rather than the crockery type. I've used it for the past several months and am very happy with it! So much so that I sent the old crockpot off to college with DSS (dear stepson) and use this one exclusively now. It was a little more expensive than a straight crockpot in the oval shape, but much more versatile, and I can actually get two whole chickens into it!

Char

I've been using my RIVAL for....don't laugh....25 years. Big heavy ceramic pot and I wouldn't have survived without it. I have been thinking of getting another. How large a bird can the 6qt take?

Grainne

3/16/02- Made WW Lifetime

4'11"...SW 176lbs CW 154 lbs WGW 115

Rejoining weight 11/17 154 lbs

weight.png

I recently purchased a 6 quart Rival Crockpot to replace my old 70's model. What I have learned is that crockpots, in order to cook efficiently, must be at least half full. The instructions confirm this and say to double the recipes that accompany the pot. I made a "regular" size chicken recipe, and found that it was indeed, overdone. The new WW crockpot cookbook also addresses the crockpot size issue. Wish I had known this before the purchase! While I wanted the additional capacity, I mostly cook for two and probably would have gone for a 4 quart.

Maybe the roasters can cook smaller portions without overdoing it?

I just got a 4 quart Rival (Oval) for X-mas and am soooo looking forward to try it out. Using it tomorrow infact. Will let you know smile.gif

Jaye

Back OP 02/11/08

SW- 335

Mine has the removeable pot portion that is dishwasher safe. I can't begin to tell you how much easier that makes using it.

I have the Nesco 6 quart and 18 quart roaster ovens that I use often. The 6 quart is nice for heating a spiral ham, roasting chickens. I use the 18 quart to do my Thanksgiving turkey which always comes out very moist. The 18 qt comes with an accessory which helps keep veggies warm like the steam cafeteria does, but I find that even tho these are non-stick, they cook too quickly for things like simmering soups, chili, etc. Santa just brought me a Rival non-stick crockpot with a removable non-stick interior. I've already used it to do pork loin yesterday which came out delish! It's oval, as is my smaller Nesco, but it must be an 8 quart, as it's slightly bigger than the Nesco. I didn't find it heavy or unwieldy! I think there's room for both if your budget will allow.

I have THREE crockpots...large, medium, and just got a small. Sometimes they are all going at once!! I LOVE crockpoting...frees up my time in the evening when I am NOT at my best energy-wise. The small one that I just got is a bit disappointing though. I had not noticed that it doesn't have temperature control....just plug it in and go. I find it too hot. I really wanted that one for dips and I'm afraid that it will burn them if left in too long. I will have to look into finding a small one that you can regulate. Anyone have or know of such a model? Thanks...Tricia smile.gif

If you ain't the lead dog the view never changes!!

Thanks for the great suggestions! I purchased a 4.5 qt GE model at Wal Mart and am very happy. For anyone else considering a crock pot purchase, I thought I'd list the features that I have come to appreciate:

ceramic pot is dishwasher-safe

it comes with a travel bag and transports well

4.5 qts is a good size - I served about 10 people chili at a party yet can cook something up for myself to store for lunches

Happy cooking.

My daughter bought a slo-cooker at Wall-Mart for $ 10.00.So today I was surprised to find out they still had a few of them....& had to buy one for myself. Same brand as my round blue one. This is a 3 1/2 qt Rival....oval shape with removable stoneware liner.It's a lot bigger than it sounds. She cooked a huge bone in turkey breast & had lots of room left.This is good size-shape for meat.My round one is a pain to cook a roast in.You might be able to find one in your WMart.

Patti<br />*****<br />Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. <br />******************************<br /><br />"The road to someday, leads to the town of nowhere. Procrastination is the silent killer."<br />~Anthony Robbins

Someone posted somewhere else they had a crockpot that turns itself off when it's finished. Wish I'd known that before Santa!!

Karen, thanks for that crockpot tip. I made 2 recipes that were way overcooked. I was starting to think I'd written the recipes incorrectly. Guess it's back to the baby crockpot!

OP 12/22/2001<br />367/270/135<br /><br />We must be the change we wish to see ~ Gandhi

The new rival smart pop is what it is called it switches to warm when the time is up, it is great.

Don't dig your grave with your own fork