Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
cheree

Healthy Crockpot Soup

i tried this and was EXCELLENT!!!!

I did ot have pork and beans so i substituted another can of pinto's and added 2 slices of low sodium bacon cut up in small chunks.

Don't use canned veggies: so used frozen corn,

and had frozen red and green pepper strips .... so used those.

Didn't have chili mix: so just seasoned myself and used fresh ground pepper, a little salt, and Mrs. Dash' original seasoning.

Wonderfulll!!!! I don't think you can ruin this one. I think it was the 2 strips of bacon that slow cooked thru out that made the difference.

i would serve this to anyone.

DUTCHJACK1

Guest Debnicu

This will be excellent this week. Supposed to stay cold :( Also with everyones different schedule for sports practices they will be able to come in and take a scoop and get a nice home cooked meal. :D

This definitely sounds interesting! I'll try it this week.

Thanks for posting the recipe. smile.gif

*~LINDA~*

HW 386

SW 330

CW 284.2

GW 174

PW 150's

LOST: 102.2 lbs

5'10"

Have to come and put in my 2 cents worth!! I made this before I went to bed last night. I figured it could cook through the night if it could cook through the day! That worked out fine; I had some to take to work for lunch today! I'm going to remember that trick. But the soup is greaaaat!! So simple and yet so good. Hard to imagine, isn't it? I put mine over 1C of Skinny Corn Chips and had a "Frito Pie" ala imagination since we've been talking so much about Fritos on the other thread!! This worked really good!!

JeanetteSki

IO have been making this one on top of the stove all this time. Just kind of made it up on my own. Of couarse I add hot salsa to it. Hi Legal Eagle, good to see you here.

Sharon sobbing.gif (the UBB code is not enabled

Your CA buddySharon/Parklady Life time: 7-24- 01 Lost 42.2 #**********************************"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." **********************************

OK, I've looked at this recipe for a long time now, and had the stuff (pretty much) to make it today. Of course, I HAD to tweak it! But I like the end result and so does DH!

So here's what I did - didn't have pinto beans so I used blackeyed peas. I omitted the corn because we just don't care for it in dishes like this. I used one can of no salt diced tomatoes and one can of tomatoes with green chilies. I buy taco seasoning in bulk, so used 1 tablespoon of that. Everything else, to start at least, was per the recipe.

After it cooked a few hours, I tasted. I added 1 cup of medium salsa to it, and a cup of (dry) TVP, and one more cup of water. Let 'er go another couple of hours - OK, getting there, but not quite spicy enough to suit our tastes - so I added 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander, and 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro. Let it simmer a bit longer. NOW we're getting somewhere! The coup de grace though was I added 8 ounces of Velveeta light, cubed, and simmered until the cheese was melted and blended it into the soup.

YUM YUM YUM!! Using my ingredients, this STILL came out to just under 2 points per cup. It's stick-to-your-ribs tasty!

It just a little over 11 cups total.

It gets a thumbup.gif from me and a thumbup.gif from DH too!

Char

A postscript to this one - just ate the last of it for lunch - 1 cup - and I still feel totally satisfied 2 hours later! I will be making this again very soon with my additions.

I even ate it for breakfast over the weekend, both Sat & Sun - I know, DH looked at me like I was crazy.gif but I figured it wasn't really much different than having huevos rancheros for breakfast! And again, it held me for hours. Not bad for only 2 points per cup!

Char

Jeanette, LOL! I actually thought about poaching an egg and dropping it into the soup! It's a thick soup so it wouldn't "sink" into it.

But I decided I didn't want to "spend" that extra two points when I KNEW that the soup alone would fill me up for hours. Some day I'm gonna try that though! thumbup.gif

Char

OK, second batch tweaks - instead of the pork & beans, I used a can of RanchStyle original ranch beans - I used the rest of the stuff the same as my tweaked version above with one addition - I added a 12 oz. can of Spicy V8 - NOW I think I've got it down! Can't add anything else anyway - the crockpot is FULL! ;)

All I can say is MMMmm-MMmmmmm-GOOOOD!

Char

I made this soup and really liked it. It is easy to make and very filling. smile.gif

Crystal<br />sw-204<br />cw-204<br>gw-159

recommitted lifetimer

Guest Tina_30

I made this last night and it was GREAT!

My dh loved it as well. I used a can of pinto beans that were ranch style with jalapeno's in it and one of my cans of diced tomato had onion in it, I left out the pepper because I don't like those, it was plenty spicy for us - I added some cut up brats to dh's and he loved that - what a super recipe, I know I'll be making this all winter, it made the whole house smell so good too! mmmmmm thanks again for posting it!