Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Charski

Super Simple Crockpot Potroast

DH swooned when I served this to him tonight!

16 oz. lean London broil, trimmed of visible fat

1 envelope Lipton's Onion Soup Mix

1 can 98% FF cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup diced onions

Place diced onions in bottom of crockpot. Sear London broil (aka top round) in a nonstick pan on both sides til browned. Cut if necessary to fit crockpot. Sprinkle onion soup packet over beef, then spread the can of mushroom soup over the top. Cover and cook on Low 6-8 hours or til meat is very tender.

You could add sliced mushrooms and/or other veggies if you like.

This came to a total of 19 points using the ingredients I had on hand. Divide into servings (3 or 4 total) and figure points accordingly.

Serve over or alongside bulgur, rice, pasta, or polenta if desired (don't forget to account for THOSE points! :D )

Char

I have to totally agree, that is one yummy way to pot roast! I've been making it that way for years and toss in carrots and scrubbed potatoes, leave the skins on, and it's a complete meal when we walk through the door. It's also delish when you use a lean pork loin.

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

Guest NewMeIn2003

Thanks for the recipe. Janet

Char! This sounds great!! thumbup.gif I know DH would flip out over this.

A question though....is London Broil a slice of steak or is it a roast?? Can you tell I never buy red meat? I want to be looking for the right thing.

Thank you!

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

Hi Dawna!

It's kind of - uh, BOTH! :D It's like a very thickly cut steak/roast.

Usually London Broil is cut about 1-2" thick and is a full cut across the top round. It's even thickness from one end to the other and usually has a layer of fat along one side, which of course I trim off entirely.

I had to cut mine in half, crosswise, to fit into my round crockpot, layering half the onion soup mix and cream soup on the bottom piece and the rest on top. YUM!

Char

wave.gif Hi, y'all! wave.gif

This recipe sounds great! My question: How thick is the sauce, and what does it look like (gravy?)...As you can guess, my kids are picky eaters!

kansaslaura, Can you be more specific with your pork version?

Thanks!

You are what you eat!<br /><br />*********************************

Sure Tex! Nothing different to the original recipe except to use a lean pork loin instead of the beef.

The sauce is similar to a gravy and absolultey delish!

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

Tex, when it's freshly cooked, the sauce is a little thinner. Our dinner plans changed the night I had this in the crockpot, so I just put it in the fridge in a plastic container. The next night the sauce was much more "gravy-like" on consistency, even when warmed in the microwave.

If you plan to eat it right out of the crockpot, and you want the sauce a little thicker, you could remove the meat, dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch in some cold water, add to the pot and cook on High uncovered until it thickens to your liking.

Char

Oh man! I just re read the post and I forgot to sear the london broil first!! I hope it doesn't make a difference!!

Barb wave.gif

Picturetrail

Member login: Barb2003

"The battle's inside of me, the fights begun but not yet won and I won't become, one more casualty"

Marty Casey

"In your eyes I am complete"

Peter Gabriel

Barb, it won't make much difference. I like to brown meats first just to give them better color and it DOES add some flavor, but you'll be pleased with the results anyway, I'm sure!

Char

I made this for supper tonight. I used a lean roast (probably about 2 1/2 lbs) and since I had forgotten to thaw it first, just threw it in frozen. Let it cook/thaw for a few hours then added the soup mix and mushroom soup. I forgot the onions, but in the last hour of cooking I added some whole pearl onions I had on hand. It was wonderful. The meat was tender and juicy and not overcooked or mushy as sometimes happens with crockpot cooking. Everyone loved it. I think I'll throw all my stuff in the crockpot frozen.

Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Susan

SW 251.5/CW 241.5/GW 145

wow this sounds wonderful! My family gets so sick of chicken I like to give them red meat once in awhile; this will be perfect! glad this got bumped up ... Brigitte

Personal Goal Weight: 130

Sounds delicious! I love pot roast and crock pot cooking rocks!

Pat<br /><br />A jouney of 1000 miles begins with the first step.<br /><br /><br />SW: 335.8 (original)<br />SW: 315 (second time around)<br />CW: 288<br />WG: 135